Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Hints and Tips on How to Handle Four-Wheeled Folk

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Peter Ryder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:29 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Hints and Tips on How to Handle Four-Wheeled Folk Reply with quote

As part of my reborn biking career, have just had a couple of days out on my bright yellow CB125F and come back unimpressed by some other road users; I will refrain from using perjorative terms for them, but can assure you that I thought them. How do other riders handle this, both in physical on-the-road terms, and inside their heads? (where hate isn't good for you, at least not for me). I travel at 55-60 mph, maybe 40-45 mph on the hills (Northumberland is hilly) - which to be honest is about as fast as the thing goes - but there always seems someone behind radiating frustration, and often they overtake in silly places, and pull back in far too close to you. If there are lay bys I often pull in to let people past. I do ride in the middle of my lane, because some years ago I pulled in to let an artic past and it came so close it took my mirror, definitely a near-death-experience. In this part of the country there are quiet minor roads, but to get anywhere it is hard to escape quite busy A roads, and they are the problem. Everywhere has I guess just got busier than it used to be....

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had more close calls on my 125 than (touch wood) ever had on a bigger bike as power can get you out of a lot of problems. IMHO do your full test and get a bigger bike and you will be able to sit comfortably at the speed limit if not a little above without having people trying to offertake you all the time.

Its like people who road cycle, to me its nuts in a lot of places i ride my bike, if your going slow expect people to overtake you in stupid places as they get frustrated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a bigger bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter Ryder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:52 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my full test for around half a century (passing on a BSA D10 Bantam in 1967) and parted with great regret with my NC700 a few months ago, having had heart troubles and finding it hard to heave around - thought I was giving up biking for good but realised, with relief, I was still alive and chose the 125 for my return because it was light and easy to handle (and pottering round quiet minor roads it is great), but oh dear could do with an extra 10 mph.... I call it Twinkle because its official colour is 'Pearl Twinkle Yellow' and the name just about summons up the raw power, the testosterone surge, the GGGGRUNT as they say, available (or perhaps not...) when I wind back the throttle....but the animosity it is making me feel towards (some) other road users cannot be good for the soul, and the anger and frustration they feel, losing milliseconds from their journey time because of me gently puttering up a hill in front of them, maybe is not good for theirs either.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:01 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE Bullet 500. Not light in figures but low and easy to wheel around. Enough power to hold its own. Characterful.

Do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:03 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless youre a miser, never leave the city, or 17, there is no reason for 125s. People get just as irate with slow cars, tractors, etc. youre just more vulnerable.

A 250/300 will be just as light to wheel around and MUCH better to ride frankly. It will do 70 comfortably on a dual carriageway and not slow down and hold everyone else up on hills.

Peter Ryder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will take this advice seriously. I do like a little light bike (and gentle speeds) on quiet roads - but avoiding the busy ones is difficult. And I like the economy - but it is only just over 100mpg whereas my NC700 would do around 85 mpg (and touch 100mpg at a steady 60 on motorways). So, if health permits, maybe a 250 in the Spring... Any recommendations?. I am mechanically inept, so something like an Enfield, although they look great, might not be wise...

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like these ..

https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/black-7/black-7-250cc

I bumped into somebody who has the AJS 125 Cadwell, older chap, and loves the bike, but, bit like you, finds it a little on the slow side, the 250 version Mash sell should solve that.

There's also the https://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/model/roadstar/roadstar-highland-green Mine's the older verion, had mine now pretty much 2 1/2 years, not had to replace anything rides lovely, and again is nice and light.

Then, there's always ...

https://royalenfield.com/uk/motorcycles/continental-gt

or

https://royalenfield.com/uk/motorcycles/classic-squadron-blue

or

https://royalenfield.com/uk/motorcycles/bullet-500-efi

Plus, of course there's the Enfield 650 about to be launched ..

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:50 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Kawasaki Z250 as a courtesy bike and really liked it, but like anything else it's a very personal decision

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Ryder wrote:
Will take this advice seriously. I do like a little light bike (and gentle speeds) on quiet roads - but avoiding the busy ones is difficult. And I like the economy - but it is only just over 100mpg whereas my NC700 would do around 85 mpg (and touch 100mpg at a steady 60 on motorways). So, if health permits, maybe a 250 in the Spring... Any recommendations?. I am mechanically inept, so something like an Enfield, although they look great, might not be wise...

If you like a light bike look at KTMs they are like pushbikes with an engine, even my 990SM with a full tank is light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:54 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

A 250/300 will be just as light to wheel around and MUCH better to ride frankly. It will do 70 comfortably on a dual carriageway and not slow down and hold everyone else up on hills.

Which 250/300cc bikes that weigh 128kg were you thinking?

linuxyeti does list one with that claimed weight - but I suspect it'll not be massively faster than the CBF - certainly not much more power than a better 4 stroke 125.

There are bigger capacity dirt bikes around with low weight; but typically more towards the 'competition' end.

If OP can hack taller bikes; which I suspect will be out for also being harder to move around; the KTM690 enduro and Husky TE610 both come in at around 10kg more than his CBF - yet will be about 5-6x more powerful!

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:13 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The op would do well not to listen to linyuxeti, and to avoid any Chinese garbage. It would be safer and more sensibsle to stay on his 125

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:
The op would do well not to listen to linyuxeti, and to avoid any Chinese garbage. It would be safer and more sensibsle to stay on his 125

Would that be the Indian or Chinese built 125's he's currently on ?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:13 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad wrote:

Hahaha, and I hadn't realized, you'd upgraded to a Harley, still, at least you can keep it in the garage and polish it, I think the op would like a bike he can ride, possibly in all weathers !!

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:12 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
B5234FT wrote:

Which 250/300cc bikes that weigh 128kg were you thinking?

linuxyeti does list one with that claimed weight - but I suspect it'll not be massively faster than the CBF - certainly not much more power than a better 4 stroke 125.

There are bigger capacity dirt bikes around with low weight; but typically more towards the 'competition' end.

If OP can hack taller bikes; which I suspect will be out for also being harder to move around; the KTM690 enduro and Husky TE610 both come in at around 10kg more than his CBF - yet will be about 5-6x more powerful!

Weight is all but totally irrelevant if we're actually being honest, unless you're having a pushing race up a hill.

The difficulty in pushing a bike in and out of a garage or up the garden path is massively more to do with geometry and awkwardness than actual weight.

So the kawasaki 250 is a full 40kg heavier, it really doesnt feel much different to ride (still has that tiny small bike feel) and its easy to manoeuvre.

I have a GPZ500 and a street triple. On paper they weigh much the same (176kg vs 182kg) but they are completely different to move around, ride and manouevre.

Dont obsess about weight, go and try things.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:26 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Ryder wrote:
parted with great regret with my NC700 a few months ago, having had heart troubles and finding it hard to heave around

I presumed this was physical manhandling; rather than riding.
I haven't ridden a NC700; but even physically bigger heavier and older bikes I've not found difficult when actually riding.
If you're not good at slow speed control, then paddling tight walking speed turns may be more of an issue with a heavier bike.

When I had a broken leg I found weight definitely was a factor in moving a bike - I could ride any sized bike fine, but to be able to push it only using one leg a much lighter bike made a big difference.

Oh and from what I can see; the street triple's wet weight is listed as around 20kg lighter

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:03 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, buy something faster.

By the time a car driver realises they're annoyed with me I'm already long gone.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:05 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twist the throttle more and brake less. Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Peter Ryder wrote:
parted with great regret with my NC700 a few months ago, having had heart troubles and finding it hard to heave around

I presumed this was physical manhandling; rather than riding.
I haven't ridden a NC700; but even physically bigger heavier and older bikes I've not found difficult when actually riding.

It would have to be when stopped. Under power the NC700[S|X] becomes very light indeed, when it starts moving.

Speed Triple, not so much. On the move it requires a good shove in the right direction. Pushing it around requires manly strength, or frequent rest periods.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:08 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was talking about the good-bit-lighter street triple.

But didn't find the speed triple heavy at all when riding.
Sure; hustle it around around a track with standard bars and suspension and I can see it'd be a bit of a workout. But got general road riding, seemed fine to me.

Peter Ryder
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:36 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually riding the NC700 was fine, it was the heaving it out of the garage and getting it onto its centre stand. I also found slow speed stuff difficult - had a nightmare some years ago when I found myself on a Deauville in a two-hour feet-down shuffle on the ring road around Brussels, with wife on back and laden panniers; there was heavy rain, and then a fast four-lane wet road down to Bruges, all spray and straight into the setting sun; desperate. Most stressful day's biking ever. Fell out of love with the Deauville (and Belgium) and hardly ever rode it again.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:45 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I struggle a bit moving my relatively light but tall KTM around whereas my Bullet is a breeze. Would recommend having a handle of one and see how you get on.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:33 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove your mirrors and stop worrying about what people behind you are doing.

Something like a Z250 is a good shout though, if you can find one. It's not a particularly popular capacity, sadly.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have heart trouble, so you bought a bike which causes other road users to frighten the shit out of you?

to echo others, there's plenty of 250/300 around at the moment which will keep up with traffic at normal speeds and keep people off your arse.

i saw a review the other day by an older fella who'd got himself an rc390 "like all the 20 year olds" as he put it.. and he was absolutely loving life.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:59 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Ryder wrote:
had a nightmare some years ago when I found myself on a Deauville in a two-hour feet-down shuffle on the ring road around Brussels, with wife on back and laden panniers; there was heavy rain, and then a fast four-lane wet road down to Bruges, all spray and straight into the setting sun; desperate. Most stressful day's biking ever.

This is 2017 we made a wiper.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2