Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is Immorality the new Morality?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

Men (mostly) in positions of power operating like over-sexed apes sexually abusing and exploiting subordinates.

Tax evasion on an industrial scale as seen in the Paradise and Panama papers.

The blatant manoeuvring by Trump's lackeys with the Russians.

A UK Minister meeting dodgy heads of state on her holidays and lying about it.

A Prime Minister who refuses to punish her miscreant MPs so she can cling to power.

There's so much more.........insert scandal if your choice here.

If bad behaviour is being indulged on such a huge scale without consequence among the worlds rich and powerful, if dishonesty, abuse of power and self indulgence are the norm because they are so prevalent, then surely such behaviour becomes "normal".

The old moral codes are broken. Can we all be immoral now?

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:40 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have the money or power to be allowed that privilege. It's not an earned privilege it's a hereditary one.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
The old moral codes are broken.

What were they?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

What were they?

Don't you remember John Major? Back to basics morality campaign?
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 06 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
M.C wrote:

What were they?

Don't you remember John Major? Back to basics morality campaign?

The bloke with the funny voice? Barely Smile

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHvUarwTlck

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:12 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

Not so fast madam, have you discussed this with your husband?

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:35 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just another tentacle of the massive, neoliberal agenda.

'Freedom' to do whatever one pleases. The ideals of 'tolerance' and 'acceptance' have spilled over into new beliefs wherein people think they can do or say whatever they want, without moral limit, because 'freedom'.

It's the whole, "I disagree with everything you say, but I'll fight to the death to protect your right to say it."

That's my sort of stab-in-the-dark take on it. I agree that immorality has crept in hugely over the past few years, and not just at 'the top'. Everyday powerless folk seem to not give a flying fuck about it as it happens under their noses, and a lot would probably do just the same if they ended up in similar positions open to corruption and/or abuse for their own benefit.

Overall I put it down to extreme liberalism, and not just from the typical 'liberal left' who are scapegoated most severely for such things. A lot of western society has adopted the "people should be able to do what they want" ideal, be it SJW feminism LGBT "women need more representation in boardrooms, but men can carry on single-handedly emptying the dustbins" types, or the selfish "fuck everyone but me, if you fail or die in society it's your own fault entirely" types who somehow believe the successful path they trod in life was despite humanity, rather then because of it.

Why do I think neoliberalism has caused this? Because it's the doctrine of money, freedom and a naive faith in 'personal merit' above all else, which is so open to abuse I'm amazed anyone can support it. Yet it continues to creep in, and people on the apparent 'left' and 'right' argue its case in their own ways, varying forms of 'freedom' being the underlying motive. And so it slowly becomes acceptable, and immoral becomes the new moral. Needless to say I can only see this getting worse whenever the Tories are in power, as they're the party for the wealthy, and it's the wealthy who can get away more easily with whatever they decide to get up to. How many bankers, who knew exactly what they were doing, were sent down after 2008?

I also think rampant and socially uninterested news-media has played a huge part in this. Bad news, hysteria and division sells much easier. A side-effect is that bad, hysterical and divisive society begins to be accepted as the norm. Tell a lie enough and it becomes the truth!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:45 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

It's the whole, "I disagree with everything you say, but I'll fight to the death to protect your right to say it."

That statement is so untrue nowadays.

It should be 'I disagree with everything you say, but I'll fight to the death to protect your right to say it as long as it doesn't upset me or any minority group even if it is the truth'
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Sun Wukong
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:43 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final stages of the decline of our Empire.

7 Signs here

Final stage is the Age of Decadence.

Conspicuous consumption. Sex obsession. State support. Debasement of currency.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Gnk6Lu0tc2c/S_cQ8PE2Z1I/AAAAAAAAAT8/v7JsNox5lRo/w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu/frazer.jpg

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:45 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
The old moral codes are broken.

What were they?

Don't get caught.

All that's changed is that it's harder to keep a secret in these interwebs times.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sun Wukong wrote:
Final stages of the decline of our Empire

Interesting

I used to lecture on the lifecycle of business, we (the human empire) are definitely in the final stages. Once a business enters the decline phase (infighting, self-interest, moral turpitude) it faces the very end, bankruptcy or hostile takeover.

There have always been people and cabals who flout societal codes, who break the rules and operate outside moral norms for self-gain. When caught they were punished.

My point in this thread is, that nowadays, if so many break so many of the rules, in plain sight, in such large numbers that they cannot all be punished or pay the price of their crimes, their behaviour becomes the new norm. The old moral codes have been superceded by the new immorality because they're all bleedin at it.

It's all very depressing, maybe what we need is a new code, a fundamentalist framework to control society.

I wonder if anyone else has had that idea Thinking Thinking

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:43 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strong and ruthless preying on the weak and meek is a natural and healthy state for any group. It's also known as survival of the fittest.

Note that I'm not saying that it's admirable or ethical. Pragmatically though, it's beneficial for those who survive and thrive.

What is going to bring our society down is the exactly opposite of that. As a group, we are soft and we will be conquered by harder groups, just as imperial Rome was when it thought that merely seeing the wonders and riches of Rome would somehow civilise barbarians instead of drawing them to plunder it.

So our predatory knee fondlers and loophole fingerers are fighting a brave rearguard against the sapping supinety of statutory compassion, unearned enrichment, and a welfare state that creates and attracts swarms of parasites who are scrabbling to suck blood from the host before it shrivels and dies.

And all of this madness started with giving women the vote. Sad

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:44 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

It should be 'I disagree with everything you say, but I'll fight to the death to protect your right to say it as long as it doesn't upset me or any minority group even if it is the truth'

Bool Cory Sto and all that - but was out with a client last week and after a few beers he told me of a fine mess he'd gotten himself into a couple of weeks prior.

He was at a party / gathering for one of his mate's mate and didn't know most of the people there. After getting well and truly tanked the conversation moved onto being 'offended' and how ridiculous it is that people get offended by things that have been said by others when it's just words. A girl behind him said that she agreed with him; that there were far too many people that were so precious it made her sick etc. Yeah, he said, I mean if I want to call someone a big fat dyke then I should be able to do that and so what if the person is offended?

At which point, the girl sloped off to find her girlfriend, and then the two of them complained to the bar manager and had him ejected from the premises Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The strong and ruthless preying on the weak and meek is a natural and healthy state for any group.

So people jacking bikes?

Rogerborg wrote:
What is going to bring our society down is the exactly opposite of that. As a group, we are soft and we will be conquered by harder groups, just as imperial Rome was when it thought that merely seeing the wonders and riches of Rome would somehow civilise barbarians instead of drawing them to plunder it.

I sort of agree, in that it's illogical Spock to remove the people who built the society we enjoy, with fresh off the boat (a generation or two ago) immigrants or lots of women. That's not to say they've never made a impact or played a role, but that isn't what we've got going on at the moment, the logic seems to be we have x amount of this group so there should be x amount in the boardroom of companies etc.

Attempting to gain equality through inequality makes no sense to me, and as often pointed out, it's selective equality focusing on the good stuff whilst ignoring the negative side (ie: the amount of men digging up roads etc.). Hence why (I think) Brexit/Trump happened, why would an indigenous population support the favouring of another (often smaller) group, just because they're making a lot of noise.

I don't think we're doomed but I don't think we're saved either. The idea of our society having run its course's interesting, as societies rise and fall throughout history. In the back of my mind I can't help feeling that's what this seemingly unabated pursuit of wealth's all about.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Men (mostly) in positions of power operating like over-sexed apes sexually abusing and exploiting subordinates.

A Prime Minister who refuses to punish her miscreant MPs so she can cling to power.

There's so much more.........insert scandal if your choice here.

If bad behaviour is being indulged on such a huge scale without consequence among the worlds rich and powerful, if dishonesty, abuse of power and self indulgence are the norm because they are so prevalent, then surely such behaviour becomes "normal".

No. It's just a diversion tactic by the pro EU media obsessed with political correctness and desperate to attack a Tory government to derail Brexit

YAWN....
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
winz wrote:

YAWN....

Good point, well debated.

I tend to avoid online debates. However, you type out the same drivel all the time.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:57 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Bool Cory Sto and all that - but was out with a client last week and after a few beers he told me of a fine mess he'd gotten himself into a couple of weeks prior.

He was at a party / gathering for one of his mate's mate and didn't know most of the people there. After getting well and truly tanked the conversation moved onto being 'offended' and how ridiculous it is that people get offended by things that have been said by others when it's just words. A girl behind him said that she agreed with him; that there were far too many people that were so precious it made her sick etc. Yeah, he said, I mean if I want to call someone a big fat dyke then I should be able to do that and so what if the person is offended?

At which point, the girl sloped off to find her girlfriend, and then the two of them complained to the bar manager and had him ejected from the premises Laughing

It's a sad state of affairs when you can't insult a fat dyke Cool

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

winz wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Good point, well debated.

I tend to avoid online debates. However, you type out the same drivel all the time.

He's an epic mass debater.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me odd, but I'm really enjoying watching society pull itself to pieces. It's hilarious.
'Course, I'm largely watching from the outside.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Call me odd, but I'm really enjoying watching society pull itself to pieces. It's hilarious.

Yes, although my intellectually superior brethren have castigated me for expressing such an opinion Crying or Very sad

chickenstrip wrote:

Nuclear bunker with a supply of dehydrated food?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Is Immorality the new Morality? Reply with quote

What do you mean broken? It's ALWAYS been this way.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 07 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

Nuclear bunker with a supply of dehydrated food?

Don't be ridiculous Rolling Eyes
I don't need to save weight, not like I'm carrying it on my back. Tinned food is just fine.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5