Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What garage back up bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: What garage back up bike Reply with quote

Yes another one of those what bike threads however this one is with a twist. If you had to have a bike in the garage as a back up what would you have. Not to be uses for excessive motorway miles just locally commuting at max. This would be reliable enough to work when you needed it without hardly any fuss.

Been discussing this at work with a few friends. So far we have come up with an old CG125 and something like a C90 or an MZ250.

So what would you have Question

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:19 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early model Mille.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A SV650.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

929 fireblade.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:31 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
Early model Mille.

Ooo more nickable than my choice. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tadge
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:32 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Back up bike Reply with quote

My Kawasaki W650. It's reliability is up there with anything !

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Back up bike Reply with quote

tadge wrote:
My Kawasaki W650. It's reliability is up there with anything !

Ooo lots of chrome..My choice will rust slower than yours.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB250RS. After moving on to other bikes, it sat at the back of the garage for yonks, but didn't need much to coax back into life when I needed it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^No wind protection...although I did notice they did have a headlight fairing as an accessory in an 80s catalog ..but rare as hens teeth to find.

So it's an ; Ooo vintage bike with no wind protection, my choice is winning

https://www.sportbikes.net/reviewpost/data/25/12008_Suzuki_SV650SF_ABS-large.jpg <<Obvs my virtual SV wouldn't be as new as that.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda lead scooter

If it broke most bits could be fixed with Chinese bits to get to wherever
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:33 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Backup Reply with quote

Ducati 916

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:49 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a back up bike, you can have as many bikes in your garage as you want and there's no need to justify them to anyone.

Razz

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe a honda twin like a cb500?

Or how about a maxiscooter?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:05 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

V Max (old style) or a DN-01.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My back up bike is a bandit 1200. Trust me - NOT one of them 😂

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:17 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: What garage back up bike Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
So what would you have Question

I know what I'd have, and I got it. Ninja 250. Local commuting at max throttle. Made for about 200 years so it has no foibles, cheap to insure and tax, parts are plentiful, it's pretty much fuel and forget it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'garage' is compact and bijou so it would have to be a Grom, hanging from the roof joists.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say what I always say when this kind of question comes up - because for me it's the proverbial no-brainer:

SdKfz 2. Every. Time.

Can be a bit heavy on diesel, admittedly - but offers decent flexibility RE terrain and tactical deployment.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-725-0184-22%2C_Russland%2C_Soldaten_auf_Kettenkrad.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
^^^No wind protection

For local commuting only, I don't see that being a big problem. But if I were you, I'd probably have an MV F4.

As I'm not you however, I wouldn't have a back-up bike, cos my Fazer has never let me down, and nor have 4 previous ones Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it does kinda depend on what your local/daily commute looks like and the distances and type of roads you travel on.

But say it's local town/city stuff, then I'm going to say a simple carb fed, air cooled bike, single or twin, probably naked and basic with non linkage rear suspension, easy to maintain and ideally something kick-start, so a flat battery won't ruin your day.

I can say for certain what you definitely don't want for a second back up bike though, and that's a tuned two stroke anything. Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reliable, Commuting?
Boring, but an EN/ER 5/500.

Boring as all hell, but "just work". Screens readily available, bung some ACF50 on and forget apart from the usual battery faffing you'll have to do with any bike.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:45 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pay £100 a year old duffer insurance. It would cost me at least as much again to insure a second bike. plus the tax, plus the MOT.. that's around £250 a year straight off the top.

To have a 'back up' that, odds on, wont start when needed 'cos it ha a flat battery, or crapped up carb(s) or or or whatever else has seized, rusted, or rotted since last used.

Add the cash not spent on 'redundant' back-up, and stick it into good, useful upfront preventative maintenance so you shouldn't NEED a 'back up', far more likely it'll be there when you need it.

Or.... Honda...... Civic!

Boringly dependable and has a tow bar you can drag a dead super-dream on a trailer behind, or a boot you can go chuck a bluddi-guzzi battery in, or chuck a super-dream or three in bits into, to get powder-coated! Etc!

I am actually mildly missing the old chavic!

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Older air cooled boxer BMW.
Sadly most of them have been café racer'd to death now, but before BMW got all techy and breaky they were simple and dependable.
Maybe a Ural... I have no actual idea what they are like.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 09:57 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
Maybe a Ural... I have no actual idea what they are like.

You know what Chinese copis of CG125's are like?
Same sort of deal, only its a goolag made copy of a pre WWII side-valve BMW/Zundapp... they decided to 'update'...

Curiousely 'fun' to ride, at least in solo form.... as long as you don't need to get anywhere... I would say in a hurry.... but no... just arriving on a Dniepnjier IS a feat..... the legend of my first encounter with one bleeding to death on the M6 on its maiden voyage NOT endearing me to them much....

I am 'reliably' informed... which you have to take with a pinch of Gulag salt, whe it comes to Urals,is that if you chuck enough genuine BMW bits into them... like pistons, valves, carbs, cranks, cylinder-heads, barels, ignitions, etc, and enjoy stripping lath gearboxes on a annual basis, they may.... be 'quite' daily usable...... (Though I have yet to find any-one to who it remains but a ambition they wsh to prove!!!!)

Unc suffered the one that did a titanic impression as a daily when at uni, before announcing that he was taking a six week tour of the Pyranese after he graduated..... he waved down the groans, and do they do international AA cover, by explaining that he had bought another, 'pristine' example... and was 'preparing' it for the trip.... and had 'only' spent a grand (in 2002 ish!) on BMW bits for it... 'so far'... after which I will say he DID manage around 8ooo miles on the dang thing, relatively incident free, other than running a SEAT off a mountain road with the 'wrong side' (for France/Span/Portugal!) Side car..... and riding the thing all the way back to his front door... this HAS to go down i the Anals of RHoS out-fits... NOT because he made it half way round Europe on it... BUT that it simply let his house and returned there... under its own power!

The side-cars.... take some getting used to.... they steer on the wheeja principle.... you don't do anything with the bars, you just put your hands on them, and beg the spirits take you n vaguely the right direction, and hope you don't get too see sick as it weaves from side to side.... apparently winding the friction steering damper all the way up can help that a bit.... but can have some dire consequences for SEATs on mountain roads Laughing

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

XR250
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5