Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What garage back up bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My zx9r is by far the comfiest bike I've owned - although the clip ons are actually over the top yoke rather than beneath it where they belong. So are an exercise in styling, it seems. Regardless - the 9 is superbly comfortable. I don't even like sports bikes. It came up locally (word of mouth, in the loop kind of schnizz), and it was so cheap I was tempted enough to test ride it...then promptly stuffed the seller's gob with tenners. The only thing I'd change slightly would be seat to peg - but even that's not too bad. I ride it everywhere - A roads, B roads, unclassifieds, town, country and in between. At very illegal speeds, at a sensible pace, and at a gentle stroll. It does everything and is really happy doing it.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:19 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's perfect apart from the bars which you'd make worse, and the pegs which you'd make better?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If G is right, then I must be weird...well, ok, I know I'm weird but...
I have quite a severe back problem, but I'll tell you this (you listening to me? Laughing ): There are two times I have no back pain. One is when sitting in a chair that gives good back support. And the other is when riding the Fazer (and equally when I had the Striple). I didn't feel any impact from bumps through my back, and that's even with the Striple's suspension set to "Fuckin Solid", so that otherwise I felt every damn bump virtually undamped.
So I don't buy this thing about bumps being transmitted straight up the spine with upright bikes, and sports bikes relieving this.

Howling Terror wrote:
Also of the belief that sitting bolt upright comes with its own drawbacks..again no scientific info to back up but did get more hip cramps on the 250 commuter and I've freaked out a few pillions when I've had to stand up because of hip cramps on the ST2.

Pat, trying doing some squats regularly, every day. Not with weight, just as a stretching exercise. Made a helluva difference to hip and leg cramps for me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:23 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Getting back on the Nazi Tractor was such a stark contrast and a huge, visceral relief.

If someone came to you and asked why they should actively choose a pegs-up-bars-down position for stop-start road use, what positive arguments would you make in its favour?

because its Not a Nazi Tractor and the visceral plebiscites won`t talk to you .. works for Harley Davidson too ....

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
So it's perfect apart from the bars which you'd make worse, and the pegs which you'd make better?

I said the bars are fine where they are - I just don't understand why they're clip-on style. I was quite clear on that point, I thought.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

I said the bars are fine where they are - I just don't understand why they're clip-on style.

because that style allows the bars to be dropped away from the yoke and forks more quickly and givin a better look as opposed to usin drop bars which are bulky.. probably a weight savin there too..

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going massively off point here by the looks of it. But there's a definite disadvantage to owning more than one of exactly the same bike.

Its that people think your an autistic weirdo, no matter how well you try to justify it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:44 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
biker7 wrote:
Some bikers do not understand clip on bars, arse-up riding.

Perhaps we understand that it's a position intended for one thing, going flat out on a race track.......

Er how about being more stable in wind.....and getting less wet in rain....and being more comfortable taking weight on the belly....and .....? I've never been on a race track, but I imagine a sports bike is great for that too. Usually those who prefer upright bikes find all sorts of reasons why race bikes are are no good. No prob. Those of us who ride them regularly on the road can keep the passion to ourselves - all 3 million of us!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:12 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
....and getting less wet in rain....and being more comfortable taking weight on the belly....

Seriously? Getting less wet in rain? Surely you jest. That's what cars are for Wink
But why would you think a requirement to take weight on the belly is a plus? Why don't they put belly pads on the tank then?

Honestly, some of the drivel people come out with.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:18 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I test rode an F800GS and an R1200RT at a BMW event day at Squires, back in summer. The 800 was horrible, seat-wise. It was like I could feel the subframe after a mere half an hour. Everything else was good - but the seat was uncomfy enough to easily off-set the pluses of the rest of the bike's ergos.

Meanwhile the *slightly* sportier positioning of the RT was luxurious in comparison. Compared to most bikes I'd ridden before the RT seemed quite leant forwards, and high pegged. But after 45 minutes it felt like I could be on it all day (with the F800 I was just glad to get off it). Riding the RT gave me the counter-intuitive idea that the comfiest bike might well not be the most "sensible" (i.e. upright) positioning, and that's why - months later - I did something I wouldn't otherwise have done, and tried the zx9r. Which btw is so much comfier than e.g. the W650 I once had (!).

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:48 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

But why would you think a requirement to take weight on the belly is a plus?

Honestly, some of the drivel people come out with.

Rode adventure bikes for a while. Always got bumache after a few miles. Riding flatter removes that problem for me. Now the only pain in the arse I experience is from some bikers. Some of us prefer sports bikes - get used to it!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:32 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Some of us prefer sports bikes - get used to it!

Make me!

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:44 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
biker7 wrote:

Make me!

Are Enfield riders allowed opinions? Laughing

Seriously, whatever paddles your canoe! I've been riding over 50 years...had virtually every kind of bike on the planet and loved them all! Wink

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:

Are Enfield riders allowed opinions? [sportsbikes] Laughing

i`d have to see one first to ask .. despite there bein a dealership close by

https://www.n-east-motorcycles.co.uk/north-east-motorcycles-news-article.aspx?itemid=35519

nobody round here has seen fit to buy or they are not ridin in public .. Non never at any of the local bike meets, haunts or ride outs ...
so are Enfield-ists un-sociable or autisticies

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:17 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:

I have no problem with that at all. Just don't make up ridiculous reasons why.

I'd love to still be able to ride them, especially if I lived in Wales, where you have the roads for it. Poised, fast and fun. Proper reasons to want them imo. "Get less wet"! Laughing

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
"Get less wet"! Laughing

Wales get more police & speed traps .. and importin them from Liverpool ..

if you is wantin to do the passes i`m afraid that a hypersports is not the best steed.. though i`ve done them many times on a CBR600f..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:57 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wales has the best concentration of fast, well-maintained roads anywhere in the country. Considering the amount of looney-tunes riding I've done there, two speeding tickets wasn't too high a price to pay Laughing

It helped that I got to ride there during the week, when there are far less fuzz around to spoil the fun, and could pick my days, so I actually got to see a lot of sunshine and dry roads...no, honestly! Laughing

I'd take my Fazer for mountain passes before any sports bike. It may not be the ideal choice, but it's surprising how well it copes with such roads.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:23 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea of a bike is one I can ride in the rain on the motorway, crouched low, not getting as wet as any upright bike, not getting blown to bits each time I pass an artic and when the sun shines, using massive amounts of power to blast any mortal biker off the road. No silly reasons here, pure experience of what makes a top bike, for me. As for Wales - most of you know the tourist bits. Never go there myself, too many visitors. As for back up...anything small and reliable will do. If you like it, that'll do.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
As for Wales - most of you know the tourist bits. Never go there myself, too many visitors.

Ridden most of it. I like to explore off the beaten track myself. Not found any roads with signs that said "Strictly for the use of Welshmen from Swansea" yet Laughing

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:12 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
biker7 wrote:
As for Wales - most of you know the tourist bits. Never go there myself, too many visitors.

Ridden most of it. I like to explore off the beaten track myself. Not found any roads with signs that said "Strictly for the use of Welshmen from Swansea" yet Laughing

Ah yes, Welshmen.....I'm English - 20 years in Manchester; 30 in the West Country! Now nearly 20 in Wales. Not a bad place. I tend to like the urban bits, Port Talbot, Bridgend etc - nice fast ring roads etc - Moto GP every day Twisted Evil . Had ten years up a Welsh mountain so don't yearn the tracks any more. Off roading in Wiltshire too. No, it's nice fast tarmac for me now! Retired by the sea; Gower is as nice as anywhere in Europe. Happy days. Enjoy life whilst you can boys, it don't last forever!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
My idea of a bike is one I can ride in the rain on the motorway, crouched low, not getting as wet as any upright bike, not getting blown to bits each time I pass an artic

I don't experience getting extra soaking on my KTM when it rains - it's because it has an effective screen. Sports bikes don't, unless you're crouched, maybe?

KTM gets blown about a whole load less than my old faired bikes.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:52 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

I don't experience getting extra soaking on my KTM when it rains - it's because it has an effective screen. Sports bikes don't, unless you're crouched, maybe?

ZX9R is more 'sports tourer' by today's standards. But my race ZX9R with a double bubble, when ducked down a bit had 140mph feel slower than say 80mph on a KLR650 (diddy screen upright bike) - Sat out of the airflow on the sports bike it's all a lot calmer.

Modern sports bikes have smaller fairings - but haven't had a double bubble on any and sat Autobahn speeds for sustained periods.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
biker7 wrote:
My idea of a bike is one I can ride in the rain on the motorway, crouched low, not getting as wet as any upright bike, not getting blown to bits each time I pass an artic

KTM gets blown about a whole load less than my old faired bikes.
goin slow enough to dodge the rain drops then ???

But in anycase a zzr14 be lies that comment .. fairin pushes rain round .. and i'm not lieing on the tank..

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these years I've been laying out for expensive waterproof gear, when all I had to do was buy a sports bike. Silly me!
And I didn't know that on a sports bike, when riding in rain, you never actually have to stop or slow down enough that the fairing will stop keeping the rain off you. I can be such a twit sometimes Laughing

Chalky.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'98 R1 fucking pussies
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5