Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Rider to Rider Intercom

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

r12kyg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Rider to Rider Intercom Reply with quote

Looking at purchasing a biker to biker Bluetooth intercom but there is sooo much choice!!

Anybody got any ‘tried and tested’ recommendations they would like to share???

Thanks Very Happy

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny days only or any weather? One pair of riders or a group?
Range? Budget?

Some of the Sena devices don't cope well with serious rain. I use interphone mc5 devices for Bluetooth to my bike (phone and sr10 radio interface) and to my pillion or wife on her bike. No real complaints other than it won't last for a full day of riding and turns off when charging - so we get in the habit of charging whenever we stop for any length of time.

For greater range in a big group I use a Kenwood tk3180 pmr449 radio into an autocom simple headset (it all fits on a belt and I can operate it off the bike or through a handlebar PTT) or for long range a Yaesu ftm10r permanently mounted on the bike giving me several times the power of the handheld.

The radios work very well, but you need to press to transmit, Bluetooth is fine if you are relatively close and leaves you with an open mic so you can just talk - but more than a couple of people stats to become a problem with pairing unless you all have the same and they are capable of multipoint connections.

Analogkid
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:36 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scala Packtalk Duo for us, not cheap but works great and fully waterproof, use BT channels for phone/music and satnav and rider to rider over MESH, can also connect with up to 15 others, and cross brand comms too.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:48 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much echoing above.
I went with Scala units because they are IP rated against water ingress -IP67 (although strangely don't shout about the fact) whereas Sena only claim 'weatherproof' (whatever that means)

Ride through some horrific weather with my packtalk, never stops working. Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scala are probably best quality for the money.
Fairly bullet proof too.

r12kyg
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:17 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies. Definitely some food for thought!!

We usually tour from spring onwards. I’d love to say it’s in the finest of British weathers but..........!

So always having to plan for the worst!!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 168 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1