BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First fall...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:39 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: First fall... Reply with quote

Decided today it I only ride in warm weather on perfect days I'll never master it. Wrapped up warm this morning, headed off on the 20 mile commute on my little 125...

As a new rider I havent done much filtering or overtaking, but faced with a queue for a roundabout, I slipped past all. Sadly at the front of the queue, dazzled by low sun on a slightly hazy sun visor, couldnt quite see where edge of central reservation met road, lots of wet leaves... scrape, slid, wobbled and fell in front of queue I had just overtaken.... Embarrassed scraped up bike and shot off.

Damage? Thankfully only a scraped exhaust on bike, but my foot went under and hurts like buggery - been limping all day. Cant tell missus or she'll be furious / worried whenever I ride. Might have to sneak off to see doc if still hurts like this tomorrow though in case something small broken...

Not sure if this is a lesson many newbies have, or if I am a dangerous numpty that should stay away from bikes.... but thought I'd share my pain...

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

All part of a learning curve. Hopefully your foot is just bruised, much like your ego probably was!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:12 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gangrene by the weekend, chap.

In the unlikely event that you live, you'll have learned something, and life's only over when that process ends.

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:53 - 08 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good replies - thanks guys. If I make it till the weekend, best get back in saddle then ..!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:16 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a visor strip. E.g:

https://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/oncirrus/3/image/product/zoom/0123456789/0123456789/stidthvbfg.jpg

Never needed a tinted visor since Thumbs Up

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You live maybe learn you win. Thumbs Up

Most of us have had that moment where we mess up with an audience.
Thankfully mine aren't on video.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leafs are demons: I put my foot down at a dead stop to park up and my foot slipped out on one, cue brown trouser moment.

Probably worth taking it easy on the filtering if you're only just starting out. It's far too easy to think, "I should filter because i'm on a bike" but the truth is, in my opinion, it's near pointless in anywhere outside of London: it saves, perhaps, a minuate or two on the commute.. risk for no reward. Not against it, mind. Whatever you're comfortable with, suppose.

Probably check what tyre's you've got and see how they review for cold weather and wet road use since the weathers only going to worse hereon for a few months. You can have all the want in the world to ride in adverse weather but if you're sliding around all over then there's no point getting it out of storage.

125 cc's are tricky buggers: they're ideal tools (low power) for adverse weather but that also allows for rides to occur in weather than otherwise would probably be advisable to sod it off and find alternative transport. Get out and about, once the foot is sorted, and just ride. You'll find your comfort factor fairly quickly and learn on what days to and not ride: there's no gold star for forcing yourself out on the bike if it doesn't feel right -- probably end up in a worse ride for doing so.

+1 on the sun being an arse, though: I ended up riding like a donkey because low head on sun, thankfully didn't last too long.

Commuter_Tim
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:33 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Probably worth taking it easy on the filtering if you're only just starting out. It's far too easy to think, "I should filter because i'm on a bike" but the truth is, in my opinion, it's near pointless in anywhere outside of London: it saves, perhaps, a minuate or two on the commute.. risk for no reward. Not against it, mind. Whatever you're comfortable with, suppose...

What he said, since I started filtering to work I have only managed to get 1 red light/B road ahead of other cars realistically.
I guess argument could be made for a more positive state of mind on reaching your destination? (If you don't potato)

I am up Norf though, and OPs profile says Salisbury, which may as well be Lahhndan. (it's south of Birmingham and east of Wales, so meets all of my requirements. Shifty

I ride a Bandit 600... badly.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:35 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in London, but I do live in a town. In evening rush hour I can save half an hour by filtering, I don't see the point of having a bike and not filtering in that scenario.

It all depends on the OPs situation, but personally I'd avoid sitting at the back of a queue of traffic with a low sun ahead, as that's a very dangerous place to be...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to have visor up below 30mph - aside from that strobing shit, it also tends to fog easily, esp. this time of year. But you can also hear a little better too, which can help at blind junctions where approaching traffic is beyond line-of-sight.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:37 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To counter the above, I live near Birmingham and filtering cuts almost an hour off my commute.
1 hour 25ish in the car, 25 mins on the bike. The traffic really is dire around here.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:36 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to have a tinted visor, or carry a roll of black insulating tape to deal with low sun

Keeping the visor clear on dryish days with road spray is a nightmare, so in the conditions you describe I'd probably have flicked it open.

In terms of filtering, keep in your head risk vs reward. It's great getting all the way to the front and blasting off, but at the end of the day, the vast majority of the risk comes in the last 2-3 cars (islands, pedestrians crossing, lights changing and the queue moving off and a million other things). A lot of the time I'll filter almost the whole queue and then stop a couple of cars back in a nice gap, especially if the available space narrows for an island etc.

In answer to your question though, yes everyone has 'moments' and learns from them, some more painful than others. As long as you're asking self reflective questions the way you are, then you're not a dangerous numpty IMHO, you're just learning.

PS, Spill counter...

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:

Keeping the visor clear on dryish days with road spray is a nightmare, so in the conditions you describe I'd probably have flicked it open.

This is the exact thing that BikeJet will rectify Smile Its a pain in the ARSE when the salt starts going down as well!

Anyway, filtering is easy, but its the same as everything - it takes practice.

Keep at it, but perhaps watch the ground a little bit more, and if you cant see properly (sun / dirt / fog / whatever) dont try it until you can.

Thumbs Up

SkaDad
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:56 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. Will check out these strips - seems a way of keeping out glare but still seeing. My visor wont open one handed sadly, so need to be stopped.

Think I need a more careful risk assessment, which will become subconcious over time. As you all say - if I had looked to where I was going to end up and considered road surface and lighting etc I would have stayed put. Nothing like a bike on the foot to remind you to take these things seriously!

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:
Thanks all. Will check out these strips - seems a way of keeping out glare but still seeing. My visor wont open one handed sadly, so need to be stopped.

Think I need a more careful risk assessment, which will become subconcious over time. As you all say - if I had looked to where I was going to end up and considered road surface and lighting etc I would have stayed put. Nothing like a bike on the foot to remind you to take these things seriously!

Yeah, you were unlucky that your eureka moment has resulted in a spill.

Mine was only a slip / recover without it actually going over, but it taught me the same lesson. Smile

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:46 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
A lot of the time I'll filter almost the whole queue and then stop a couple of cars back in a nice gap, especially if the available space narrows for an island etc.

i do this a lot too, on the way up to small roundabouts especially
(larger u can just lane split and undertake)
all about planning and preparation. gaps always open up

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goes in here lad

2017 - Spill counter.

along with obligatory paint diagram

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:42 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:
Thanks all. Will check out these strips - seems a way of keeping out glare but still seeing.

Strips of electrical tape will do just fine. You'll be surprised how much of your vertical vision you don't actually use.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:42 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Unless on a proper sportsbike with arse up head down geometry.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

DOS
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:
!

What helmet do you have that the visor needs two hands to open.?

I'd sort that out quick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy Blake wrote:
SkaDad wrote:
!

I'd sort that out quick.

+1

Sounds like the wrong fit (too large): I'd be going to buy another one.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:19 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all research. Now you've measured the performance of your foot safety wear, you can adjust accordingly Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:12 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdawayt wrote:
To counter the above, I live near Birmingham and filtering cuts almost an hour off my commute.
1 hour 25ish in the car, 25 mins on the bike. The traffic really is dire around here.

Most of the time I save on the bike's from being able to use bus lanes. I guess it depends on the commute, personally all I achieve is arriving at the next red light first, so there has to be enough of a queue to make it worth while.

adkiucm
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 01:37 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: First fall... Reply with quote

SkaDad wrote:
Decided today it I only ride in warm weather on perfect days I'll never master it. Wrapped up warm this morning, headed off on the 20 mile commute on my little 125...

As a new rider I havent done much filtering or overtaking, but faced with a queue for a roundabout, I slipped past all. Sadly at the front of the queue, dazzled by low sun on a slightly hazy sun visor, couldnt quite see where edge of central reservation met road, lots of wet leaves... scrape, slid, wobbled and fell in front of queue I had just overtaken.... Embarrassed scraped up bike and shot off.

Damage? Thankfully only a scraped exhaust on bike, but my foot went under and hurts like buggery - been limping all day. Cant tell missus or she'll be furious / worried whenever I ride. Might have to sneak off to see doc if still hurts like this tomorrow though in case something small broken...

Not sure if this is a lesson many newbies have, or if I am a dangerous numpty that should stay away from bikes.... but thought I'd share my pain...

I never managed to drop a bike but had a similar situation on the first day of riding on my own after passing the CBT. I tried to do a U-turn on a slight slope and misjudged balancing skills.... had to do a split to save the bike from dropping. Luckily my 125 is only 140kg and I did not hurt myself, cause when I touched the ground my foot slipped away at first, even if speed was around 2-3mph.

Module 1 exam was the last time I tried a U-turn after this situation, and after situation forces me to do it, I'm not planning one again on a tight road.

Good luck with your foot and mrs

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: First fall... Reply with quote

adkiucm wrote:
Module 1 exam was the last time I tried a U-turn after this situation, and after situation forces me to do it, I'm not planning one again on a tight road.

I think that's true for most people Smile I nearly dropped my 125 the first time I did an emergency stop, it's one of the reasons I think starting out on a tiddler can be a good thing, as you're a lot less likely to keep a big bike upright in those situations.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2