Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorway - Honda deauville vrs CBF600 Naked

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:06 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Motorway - Honda deauville vrs CBF600 Naked Reply with quote

Now that I have to take in some motorway i'm asking myself if its time to swap out the CBF600 for someone more motorway friendly.

it seems the deauville is the mile muncher of choice.

having only rode a scooooootay and the CBF
i don't know how to estimate what the difference on the motorway between the CBF and a deauville might be like ?

it is likely to be meh or much surprise ?

i dont really need luggage space, but some protection from buffeting and the rain might be welcome.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night and Day.

Buddy of mine rode a cbf600 N8 for 2 years with a lot of that being on the m4 and then followed my bad friend advice to get a zzr11 after his chain snapped(what are mates for right?)

His words were along the lines of 'i no longer feel like ive been punched in the neck and chest for the last 40 minutes'.

as for the dullville, i've not owned one but looking at it, it looks like it would be comfy cruising at 80

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:54 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Night and Day.

Buddy of mine rode a cbf600 N8 for 2 years with a lot of that being on the m4 and then followed my bad friend advice to get a zzr11 after his chain snapped(what are mates for right?)

His words were along the lines of 'i no longer feel like ive been punched in the neck and chest for the last 40 minutes'.

as for the dullville, i've not owned one but looking at it, it looks like it would be comfy cruising at 80

i get what he is saying and know how that feels.
its draining as well.

maybe time to look for a nice example locally.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted for a deauville given a similar choice a few weeks ago. It's a 650, it had 42k on the clock and cost me £950. I've done a few small jobs to being it up to scratch and it's a superb commuter tool.

I honestly can't say anything bad about it, for mile munching you can't go far wrong. I'm also getting around 56mpg crusing at mostly 70-80 indicated, where I can that is! The M5 and M4 are rather shocking as of late.

I was tempted by a zzr1100, but decided the beauty of a shafty and low maintenance as a result was the way forward for a bike solely used for commuting. The zzr1100 would of course been a shed load faster, far more fun etc,but I have bikes for fun already.

Oldie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:15 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideal for your needs. Surprisingly cheap to buy considering how decent they are. Just make sure you buy a fairly clean one and it will not only last for ever, but you'll get your money back when you sell it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:16 - 09 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vastly under rated bike is the Dullsville. For a motorway commute I would suggest there is nothing better.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:27 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to commute that on a Street Triple and a GSXR. In terms of comfort, GSXR. Nakeds are just too open for the motorway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
A vastly under rated bike is the Dullsville. For a motorway commute I would suggest there is nothing better.

out of interest, d'you think its better than an st1100?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

out of interest, d'you think its better than an st1100?

Not for long distances and a proper all round tourer, no. Neither is it better than my Trophy or any Goldwing for that but for a commute which will include town as well as motorway. For a keep you dry and carry your stuff, for a less likely to be stolen, for a don't worry if you drop it (has engine bars built in the fairing) I would rather the Deauville than any other bike.

secretagentmo...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:39 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An NTV is better! Very Happy

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretagentmole wrote:
An NTV is better! Very Happy

An older Deauville without a fairing and luggage? Of course it is Mr. Green

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:17 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toooo slow. I dont see how you can commute on one. Having enough power to quickly pass cars makes it a lot safer.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:21 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have enough power. Not warp drive fast but certainly reasonable enough to see off most cars.

I have no idea why I am sitting here bigging up the Deauville. I have only ridden a friends, wouldn't own one myself yet I'm recommending them to all and sundry. Laughing

Forget it, buy a Fireblade. Thumbs Up

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a quick google they run out of power 80ish and its a slow crawl upto 110 top speed. No power, right where you need it the most. The cbr6 goes 90 to 120 in an instant.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:53 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
An older Deauville without a fairing and luggage? Of course it is Mr. Green

Depends on the version. The pre 2006 version had no extra power to compensate for the extra weight and the fairing didn't offer than much additional protection. The post 2006 one was a lot better.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:10 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
From a quick google they run out of power 80ish and its a slow crawl upto 110 top speed. No power, right where you need it the most. The cbr6 goes 90 to 120 in an instant.

The speed limit on the motorway is 70 old chap. I'm sure, like me, you stick to it at all times Whistle

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:06 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

What you have read is wrong. Thumbs Up

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:09 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i feel the need to go fast i still have a valid MSA licence.
otherwise 70-80 on the M2 is plenty.

Wyldkat
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:23 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad I've seen this post, been pondering on a Deauville for a while but chose different.

'villes a great for potting around A & B roads but I figured the power (or lack of) for the size of the bike is not quite enough for motorway riding unless you're more than happy to be sat behind the happy campers and 18 wheelers. It'll chug along but may struggle with faster overtakes.

Deauville has 55hp/41lb.ft (650) or 65hp/48.8lb.ft (700)
but they weigh in at around 515lbs dry, compared to the CBF which has greater HP and around the same torque but ways about 100lb less.

BUT - they are completely different styles of bike so shouldn't really compare power for power, however, it is something to consider when dragging along a heavier bike.

I've got myself a Hornet, a good jumper and some great waterproofs lol

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyldkat wrote:
Glad I've seen this post, been pondering on a Deauville for a while but chose different.

'villes a great for potting around A & B roads but I figured the power (or lack of) for the size of the bike is not quite enough for motorway riding unless you're more than happy to be sat behind the happy campers and 18 wheelers. It'll chug along but may struggle with faster overtakes.

but they weigh in at around 515lbs dry, compared to the CBF which has greater HP and around the same torque but ways about 100lb less.

BUT - they are completely different styles of bike so shouldn't really compare power for power, however, it is something to consider when dragging along a heavier bike.

It's absolutely fine on motorways. A mate and I did a trip round Europe, him on his Deauville 650, me on my 1800 Goldwing. we cruised around 80 and he had no problems. It's no sports bike, but it isn't intended to be.

https://s5.postimg.org/sea7zdy5j/P1110014.jpg

lozzypop1
Certified MILF!

PostPosted: 12:18 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyldkat wrote:

Nothing wrong with the deauville for motorway riding, I regularly ride back and forth to Wales from London on one, and I'm certainly not the slowest bike I see on the M4.
More than enough power for overtaking at speed if needed and so comfortable to ride distance on, even after a day in work, that I'm not exhausted by the time I get to Wales.
As for running out of power at 80, It has no problem getting to 90-95 and will hold this speed easily for 100+ miles.

Yes, It's bloody heavy (as I recently found out when I got pinned under it) but the delivery of power means that the weight has no real impact on accelleration. In fact, I've been told that I'm actually quicker to pull away and get up to speed on it than I am on the ER-6, possibly due to the lower engine noise and relaxed feel of the bike itself.

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:49 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resigned from my job last week so not sure if i'm going to find something closer to to continue the commute into London.

so i'm not going to change anything just yet.

i picked up a second hand Rukka Jacket and that has helped a lot with the cold.

gbrand42
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:26 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only agree with what has already been said. The perfect commuter tool, I found the 700 was fine at 85-90 on the motorway, about 220 miles to the tank, good weather protection. Yes it's not at all exciting but it's not supposed to be. Can be a pain in the arse getting all the plastic off for anything more than an oil change, but a small price to pay. And they are cheap coz not remotely cool.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm biased as I've just purchased a Deauville for my new commute, but I think it's a superb bike.

Very comfortable, good weather protection, easy to ride, hides it weight very well, great brakes. Ok it isn't the fastest bike kn the road, but I stick between 70-80 indicated on the motorway and the bike doesn't struggle at any point. I'm also getting a consistent 56mpg over the last 3 fill ups.

Very underated, in fact, keep it that way. When this one bites the dust I'll replace it with another, for under a grand again.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyldkat wrote:

Did you actually try riding a Deauville especially on a motorway?

Thing is lots of people have an opinion on them but very few seem to have actually ridden them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1