Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What light frugal commuter with low bike-jacking appeal?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:37 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing barrkel had a scooter as it was easy to ride/lightweight/good on fuel, I'm not sure a big bike will be.

The OP should be able to get a Ninja 250 on budget e.g.: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kawasaki-EX-250-Ninja-2010/112616029078?hash=item1a38703b96:g:AU0AAOSwk1hZ-fto

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:23 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely go green if you can, it'll be easier to sell on when you realise that you should have got an ER6 as a sole bike.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: What light frugal commuter with low bike-jacking appeal? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

250s are overpriced, but something like a CBF250 will have very little appeal to baklaf.

The CBF250 is rare, in fact mega rare due to a gearbox fault on that model..PLUS they are to old for the ULEZ...

As for an Inazuma 250 ( I own one ) it's a good bike but rare and the YBR250's are extremely rare.

CBF500 might be your best option if you can get one with a 57 plate.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:09 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: What light frugal commuter with low bike-jacking appeal? Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
As for an Inazuma 250 ( I own one ) it's a good bike but rare .

Huh, they started fairly well, but sales plummeted almost right away. There's only about 1,000 of them around. Sad times.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:49 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a YBR 250, a bit overpriced but lightweight, good performance, frugal, a bit soft on the rough roads in the potteries but great handleing and looks nice without screaming steal me.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: What light frugal commuter with low bike-jacking appeal? Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
M.C wrote:

250s are overpriced, but something like a CBF250 will have very little appeal to baklaf.

The CBF250 is rare, in fact mega rare due to a gearbox fault on that model..PLUS they are to old for the ULEZ...

2008 plate: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CBF250-LOW-MILES-EXCELLENT-CONDITION/162746474779?hash=item25e472211b:g:bg8AAOSwVgtZ1360

But yeah I've always thought they were too expensive for what they're. I'd go for a Ninja 250 and hope baklaf know their bikes.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
when you realise that you should have got an ER6 as a sole bike.

You could not pay me to ride an ER6 as a sole bike. When I sell my Brutale, it'll almost certainly be for another 130+hp European naked.

I have use of my GF's ER6f. Very hard to get anywhere near 70mpg the way I ride, which I could expect to exceed on the SH. Would also like to avoid refuelling as often.

Another reason to get a low-powered bike is to reduce the top speed. On the Brutale, I'm racing the train. Keeping top speed under 90 would be a bonus.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a very tatty looking 2007 CBF500 (been on its side, been badly repainted a sort of satin black), in a line of bikes it looks the least appealing.

I'd say any tatty no-thrills commuter like that would probably tick the most boxes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spray whatever you get bright barbie pink.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rat bike, model immaterial. The more it looks like a shed the better. Petrol consumption is irrelevant, since it will be dwarfed by the cost of replacing any bikes or rising insurance premiums due to claims loading.

Re jacking: Drill yourself that you will pull the ignition keys, and prepare for chucking them at the first sign of any incident. A jacking has to be done quickly, they have no time for hot wiring or fucking around at all. Visor down in dodgy areas at all times.

If push comes to shove then a high power laser pointer could be useful, since it blinds too. You'd have to be quick to get anything in your pockets tho, especially with gloves on.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThoughtControl wrote:
Re jacking: Drill yourself that you will pull the ignition keys, and prepare for chucking them at the first sign of any incident. A jacking has to be done quickly, they have no time for hot wiring or fucking around at all. Visor down in dodgy areas at all times.

You're forgetting the popular method of scootay friend following behind with his foot out. Throwing keys away, in my initial opinion, only certifies that you've no way to get away from them and will receive a clobbering. Tit-for-tat, admittedly anything could happen and one only knows how they'll react when the event occurs.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:06 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a counter to bike jacking specifically.

But at the local screwfix there always used to be a bike parked up with a 'Bandit' emblazoned cover over it.

I always really hoped that it was a decent bike under the cover; which was presumably chosen to suggest to thieves it wasn't worth even lifting the cover to see how old it was!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 159 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2