Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aldi 3D printer Balco / Wanhao / cocoon

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Aldi 3D printer Balco / Wanhao / cocoon Reply with quote

anyone here have one of these
looks like they will be selling for £300 seen a couple of reviews online looks good for the price

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've too many hobbies already! Stop it!

From what I've seen, orderable on 19th will ship on 23rd..

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here
just forked out a shit load on a Allen & Heath mixing desk I really didn't need but couldn't pass up
Mrs isn't chuffed as I promised a new stair carpet and Laminate floor for the Loo Embarassed

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 10 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a lot cheaper you can snag a FLSun Delta from Aliexpress.

Rostock/Kossel clone, works exceedingly well. Forget the version without the heated bed, you'll want one very soon. Basic skills and decent ball-ended hex keys needed to build it.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

Rostock/Kossel clone, works exceedingly well. Forget the version without the heated bed, you'll want one very soon. Basic skills and decent ball-ended hex keys needed to build it.

that's actually a decent price, what are the prints like? Been interested in a 3d printer for a while but not been able to justify it

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:20 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have one...well actually the wanhao i3+ which is who makes these. Damn good works straight out of the box printer at £350 and I know a couple of print farms based on just this model! Good point are,

1, Touch screen so easy menu system vs the dial knob and shit slow display of some of the cheaper kits.

2, 24v system so its quiet, heats up the bed and hot end quickly and pulls half the amps thru the wiring so no mosfet board upgrade required unlike the 12v versions

3, its pretty much pre built, you just bolt the gantry on and plug in a couple of labeled wires....60 mins from opening the box you'll be printing

4, assisted bed level press the button and follow instructions

5, technology outlet are the UK reseller for wanhao so spare parts are quick easy and cheap to get in the UK....and they do some good filament for cheap!

6, it works out of the box as software has been pre configured and comes with its own ( granted older model) version of cura but the new free version works too just copy the settings over

7, pretty good mechanics. comes with heated 24v Pei covered bed so no silly tape or glue to get your prints to stick, mk10 extruder/hot end which is pretty good and easy to get spares/upgrades if you want to print more exotic filaments....also comes with spares like ptfe tubing and spare Pei if you damage the original as well as all the tools to strip/service/upgrade the printer....even a paint scraper to prise your models off the bed Laughing the frame is pressed steel not wood or acrylic

8, lots of community on line for help and self print upgrades as well as after market support such as cnc parts or improved coolers and frame mods that you dont need to design yourself ....even better flashable software that offers lots of new features to make life easy etc

its not the cheapest but it works out of the box without having to spend hours on assembly and just as much on upgrades for the shitty cheap versions that dont work without loads of upgrades. if you want to get into 3d printing its good and offers you the option to upgrade if you want to tinker.

as a noob looking for a first printer either get this or the anycubic or CR10 is the current options

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a look at the Creality CR-10
I do like the larger print area and at about the same price as the Balco I'll need to look into it a bit more Thumbs Up

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
just had a look at the Creality CR-10
I do like the larger print area and at about the same price as the Balco I'll need to look into it a bit more Thumbs Up

if you're interested in that then get the CR-10S that's recently come out. far sturdier and much improved.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys actually do with 3D printers other than (wholly justifiably) fuck about with them?

I'm lucky enough to have direct access to about £10m worth of RP equipment but I rarely need to knock up any homers, and if I do it's only usually for convenience. It'd actually be far cheaper to buy something off the shelf.

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people that I've seen with 3d printers are either prop makers, costumers, RC enthusiasts (drones etc..) and roboteers/prototypers.

I have an opportunity to get one really really cheap so I'm jumping on it. No real clue as to what I'll do with it but I'm sure I'll think of something.

I am tempted to get a vive soon though and I know you can print loads of mounts for the controllers (gun stocks etc.. that it fits in) to make the experience a bit more realistic feeling so that's a possibility.

Initially.. no idea.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
What do you guys actually do with 3D printers

Make airsoft parts with them.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
What do you guys actually do with 3D printers other than (wholly justifiably) fuck about with them?

I'm lucky enough to have direct access to about £10m worth of RP equipment but I rarely need to knock up any homers, and if I do it's only usually for convenience. It'd actually be far cheaper to buy something off the shelf.

This. I really quite fancy one, but I know I have absolutely no use for one, so there's absolutely no way I can justify it to myself or the wife.
Same goes for [decent] drones and all the other cool toys I sorta-want.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

I'm waiting for an all in one 3D scanner/printer Smile I imagine if you were into (something like) Warhammer/games workshop stuff it would be a good investment.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Nexus Icon wrote:

I'm waiting for an all in one 3D scanner/printer Smile I imagine if you were into (something like) Warhammer/games workshop stuff it would be a good investment.

They must be out there. I'm sure I saw something similar at the Birmingham TCT show in October.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

that's actually a decent price, what are the prints like? Been interested in a 3d printer for a while but not been able to justify it

Plenty decent - My caving lamp's battery box is made on it. HAven't got anything kicking around to show you, but there are a bajillion vids/reviews of it if you want a gander.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lots of uses
I tend to go through Microphone holders and other bits of kit I use for gigs
also custom parts for the bike etc as you can buy carbon fibre filament

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CR-10/S/Mini are the ones to get these days.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:39 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update on the Aldi version....there is no USB plug as std but you can wire one to the board if you want to print with octopi remotely with camera etc

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone buy one?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1