Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to store lock and chain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:42 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Where to store lock and chain? Reply with quote

So, swapping my scooter for a 125 bike which as no under-seat storage. I use a huge chain and disk lock which weigh about 10KG. I can't put them in my backpack as they won't fit but i don't think a magnetic Tank bag would hold the weight without slipping off. Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:59 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Small tailpack?.

Could try and fins a cheap one because they are very expensive,
Thanks for the advice
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:11 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear it like a sash. Also useful for repelling spontenous #baklaff

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:33 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank bags I've got have straps that go round the headstock, and under the tank. They're not going anywhere.

Tail bag is better though.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:51 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
The tank bags I've got have straps that go round the headstock, and under the tank. They're not going anywhere.

Tail bag is better though.

Yeah, i think thats one of the better options although finding one like that but under £50 is going to be a challenge
Thanks though

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:59 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it's cheap you want, a dri-sack and ratchet straps will work.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to thread mine under and around grab handles, and / or luggage rack, and lock it to itself so that it rested on the passenger seat.

IF you can't do that, you might be able to get a cheapo rucksack and turn it into a tail pack by removing seat, securing straps around seat and replacing, then put it in and out of the bag when you need it.

bodgetastic solution is to buy a second hand seat and a cheapo box then bolt them together Laughing

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
I used to thread mine under and around grab handles, and / or luggage rack, and lock it to itself so that it rested on the passenger seat.

IF you can't do that, you might be able to get a cheapo rucksack and turn it into a tail pack by removing seat, securing straps around seat and replacing, then put it in and out of the bag when you need it.

bodgetastic solution is to buy a second hand seat and a cheapo box then bolt them together Laughing

Fuck me thats a good idea, it does have grab handles bur right at the back, i think that will work though, Thanks

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old BMW is sort of did just that in this pic.

https://s20.postimg.org/vhj8atkf1/bmw.jpg

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
My old BMW is sort of did just that in this pic.

https://s20.postimg.org/vhj8atkf1/bmw.jpg

I would to that but the chain is too big, google "pragmasis 16mm"

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I have one of those outside my house, they are big buggers.

What I'd personally do with a pragmasis, is work out the absolute shortest bit of chain I could get away with on my travels, and then order one from the site to take with me, separate to the longer one I have to get through my ground anchors.. Expense of course.

You using an anti-pinch pin as well? Bulky things too.

But see how I got my rucksack in the pic? I could've fit the 16mm chain in the rucksack like that.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:19 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
yeah I have one of those outside my house, they are big buggers.

What I'd personally do with a pragmasis, is work out the absolute shortest bit of chain I could get away with on my travels, and then order one from the site to take with me, separate to the longer one I have to get through my ground anchors.. Expense of course.

You using an anti-pinch pin as well? Bulky things too.

But see how I got my rucksack in the pic? I could've fit the 16mm chain in the rucksack like that.

Yeah, lock should be fine as that'll go in my backpack along with my disk lock. I think if i just find a tail pack and then just use a few extra ratchet straps just to make sure, that'll hold it just fine

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're only riding a tiddler, I've leave the 16 mm at home and get yourself a 13 mm for out and about. In all my time on bikes I've only, recently, met one person who knew what chains I was using: he was equally as clued up on security. Chances are a 13 mm will be more than most around you are locking theirs up with, if locked up at all -- ie: actually locked to something unmovable.

Reason I say 13 mm is because the weight of a 16 mm on a tiddler is probably more hassle than it's worth. No point robbing yourself of even more power and upsetting the weight balance. I notice the weight of the 16 mm on the Kwak but wouldn't bother with it on something that had a fraction of the power to start with.

If you're going to go ahead regardless with a 16 mm then I'd make sure whatever you do is properly secured, I've torn apart a couple of tail bags in my time regardless of if I thought I'd secured it properly or not: speed humps, bumps in the road etc all prove otherwise when the weight shifts around and the bag becomes unbalanced and therefore so does the ride. You'll also want to make sure it's properly secured simply because it's tied, possibly, under the seat: therefore pulling on the seat.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:56 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
You're only riding a tiddler, I've leave the 16 mm at home and get yourself a 13 mm for out and about. In all my time on bikes I've only, recently, met one person who knew what chains I was using: he was equally as clued up on security. Chances are a 13 mm will be more than most around you are locking theirs up with, if locked up at all -- ie: actually locked to something unmovable.

Reason I say 13 mm is because the weight of a 16 mm on a tiddler is probably more hassle than it's worth. No point robbing yourself of even more power and upsetting the weight balance. I notice the weight of the 16 mm on the Kwak but wouldn't bother with it on something that had a fraction of the power to start with.

If you're going to go ahead regardless with a 16 mm then I'd make sure whatever you do is properly secured, I've torn apart a couple of tail bags in my time regardless of if I thought I'd secured it properly or not: speed humps, bumps in the road etc all prove otherwise when the weight shifts around and the bag becomes unbalanced and therefore so does the ride. You'll also want to make sure it's properly secured simply because it's tied, possibly, under the seat: therefore pulling on the seat.

I probably shouldn't say over the internet but...3rd party only... So i need to take all the steps i can to protect it, especially as during the day its being left in the ...shitter parts of Hull.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing the last tiddler i sold, cost less than my pragmasis, ground anchors, anti-pinch pin and locks put together

I'd've been more gutted if the chain had been stolen than the Zontes.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:09 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
Laughing the last tiddler i sold, cost less than my pragmasis, ground anchors, anti-pinch pin and locks put together

I'd've been more gutted if the chain had been stolen than the Zontes.

HAHAHA!

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 11 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrap it round ya.

Works on the same principle as engine bars, extra 5cm gap between [most of] you and the road, helps save on gravel rash if you fall off... Shifty

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Wrap it round ya.

I know you're only joking, but some people actually do this, and on a BikeSafe day some Met plod told us about an accident they had to clean up - chap had his chain over his shoulder like a bandolier, and it sliced through his jugular.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:07 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
I know you're only joking, but some people actually do this, and on a BikeSafe day some Met plod told us about an accident they had to clean up - chap had his chain over his shoulder like a bandolier, and it sliced through his jugular.

Pictuaaars.. because on the internet you can be as weird as you like.

adengtg wrote:
So i need to take all the steps i can to protect it, especially as during the day its being left in the ...shitter parts of Hull.

I understand, hence last part on my above comment. I only discourage because my 125 cc came with a factory standard top speed of 52 mph and only ever really achieved 40-45 mph. If I'd of had a 16 mm -- theoretically -- strapped to the back and been chased it would have been easier to pull over and get the bus than attempt to ride away.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the bikes (125 cc's - scootay's) that are being stolen are secured with steering locks and a cheap disc lock only. My set up of a 13 mm, oxford 8 mm and disc lock far outweighed what even the big bikes at the time were using even in the city centre car parks.

So long as you can get that 16 mm through the wheel and frame you should be good - ie: as protected as you could be. You'll know ultimately re: weight when you actually go for a ride.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:23 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
barrkel wrote:

Pictuaaars.. because on the internet you can be as weird as you like.

adengtg wrote:
So i need to take all the steps i can to protect it, especially as during the day its being left in the ...shitter parts of Hull.

I understand, hence last part on my above comment. I only discourage because my 125 cc came with a factory standard top speed of 52 mph and only ever really achieved 40-45 mph. If I'd of had a 16 mm -- theoretically -- strapped to the back and been chased it would have been easier to pull over and get the bus than attempt to ride away.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the bikes (125 cc's - scootay's) that are being stolen are secured with steering locks and a cheap disc lock only. My set up of a 13 mm, oxford 8 mm and disc lock far outweighed what even the big bikes at the time were using even in the city centre car parks.

So long as you can get that 16 mm through the wheel and frame you should be good - ie: as protected as you could be. You'll know ultimately re: weight when you actually go for a ride.

Yeah, realistically (or daytime at least) a 16mm is pretty much indestructible. there would be no way somebody could cut through one with a cheap handheld grinder and either get caught or run the grinder out of juice first.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:27 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
... I can't put them in my backpack as they won't fit...

Good! You do not want a big chunk of metal on your back when/if you fall of the motorcycle. Putting something like this in your backpack is pretty much playing the Russian roulette. Out of 10 people, 9 would tell you they do this every day and never had a problem. Well, 1 poor bastard is going to report severe injuries due to this chunk of metal crashing his spine, ribs and kidneys during a very minor low speed crash.

It's common sense.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 01:29 - 12 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:28 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
adengtg wrote:
... I can't put them in my backpack as they won't fit...

Good! You do not want a big chunk of metal on your back when/if you fall of the motorcycle. Putting something like this in your backpack is pretty much playing the Russian roulette. Out of 10 people, 9 would tell you they do this every day and never had a problem. Well, 1 poor bastard is going to report severe injuries due to this chunk of metal crashing his spine and ribs during a very minor low speed crash.

It's common sense.

I wouldnt even if i could, its so heavy that io run the risk of it pulling me off when cornering

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:32 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank bag with ring lock
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 138 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2