Where to store lock and chain?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:41 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Yeah, realistically (or daytime at least) a 16mm is pretty much indestructible. there would be no way somebody could cut through one with a cheap handheld grinder and either get caught or run the grinder out of juice first.

If the London "bike life" -- of which, lets face it, started this whole crime wave epidemic in the first place and thereafter is being copied over several cities by youths who think they can get away with the same thing because, "no helmet, no chase" -- teaches us anything it's that there's no limits to the methods they (thieves) will use to get your keys or your motor when parked up.

Being a hero only goes so far, I wouldn't expect any member of the public to loose a limb attempting to fight off a grinder wielding thug and his mates: when my bike was surrounded, albeit momentarily, by a group of five lads on three peds all anyone around did was look on or go about their day. I, also, did the same.

I'd guesstimate that London videos are emerging of people having a go back simply because they're sick of nothing be done by plod. I guess there's only so many days you can work in a crime ridden city -- as much as London is in this year -- before you break and have enough of the scrotes coming from left right and centre.

Lets not forget, slightly aside from anything this thread is about, that the video showing the thief in the attempted jewellery heist who has de-helmeted after being caught was a fully grown man: anyone that gets too close is suspect to me.

TL:DR - All you're buying as you go up -- 16 mm, 19 mm, 22 mm -- is more time, not invincibility.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try the cargo spider net. I get it you only need to fix the lock and chain onto the motorcycle when you are riding it. This is perfect and the net doesn't take much space and weights next to nothing.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:52 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
Yeah, realistically (or daytime at least) a 16mm is pretty much indestructible. there would be no way somebody could cut through one with a cheap handheld grinder and either get caught or run the grinder out of juice first.

Assuming serious, no. No chain lasts more than 47 seconds, regardless of brand or size.

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:24 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
adengtg wrote:

Assuming serious, no. No chain lasts more than 47 seconds, regardless of brand or size.

+1 interesting. Was tested using a mains powered grinder though. I'd be inclined to think that a battery one would take significantly longer (although admittedly still achievable)
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Wheezybiker
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:05 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q bag tail pack is what I use holds a 14mm chain and disc lock
Unzips of the bike when not in use or leaving bike in the rack at work

eBay for 22 quid I think for the 8 litre or 16 quid for the 5 litre

3 months of use no issues yet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
No chain lasts more than 47 seconds, regardless of brand or size.

Another interesting factoid from the same report says that "seven out of ten bikes aren’t locked at all" which I find really surprising. From that basis, on the premise that the prime object of any form of security is to encourage thieves to move on to an easier target, you'd expect that using even the most basic cheap lock would be massively better than nothing. But I suppose that's a country-wide statistic, and the percentage of lock-users in BikeLifeLand will be much higher.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
hellkat wrote:
Wrap it round ya.

I know you're only joking, but some people actually do this, and on a BikeSafe day some Met plod told us about an accident they had to clean up - chap had his chain over his shoulder like a bandolier, and it sliced through his jugular.

Yeah but Met plod tell ya all kinds of things to keep you on the straight and narrow.
I quite often ride like that and I still have my jugular.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
I quite often ride like that and I still have my jugular.

But more importantly, have you ever fallen off like that? Otherwise the intactness of your jugular is not particularly surprising!

TBH I would have thought there were enough people who do ride like that, to provide accident stats, and I would have thought that landing on the road with a thick chain between you and the road at the impact point is likely to end badly.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:07 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I have, resulting in a little light bruising, it wasn't a fast fall.
The probability is that it might end badly.
So far it hasn't.

The probability of inhaling miniscule paper termites from an old book when you open and read them is also quite likely, that's not stopped me either.

The probability of getting cancer from drinking red/white/green/purple wine is, again, quite high.
But look... here we all are.

Just being alive is a risk.

This morning I picked up an old guy who used to ride bikes (Francis Barnett and something else I knew the name of but now can't remember, Douglas maybe ... Thinking) when he was younger. He was somewhere between 80 and 90, I reckon, but if he was older than that, he was very well preserved.

It was so long ago that he remembers riding in places that had roads made out of wooden blocks ( Shocked Shocked Shocked ) instead of tarmac, when I asked him where, he said he remembers Charing Cross Rd being like that, and it was dangerous as fuck* when it got wet, you knew not to even tap the brakes. Imagine splinters instead of gravel, eeeek.

He said he once came off on the wooden block road that used to be Edgware Road and that a bus just spun out of the way in time to miss running him over.

So yeah, something MIGHT happen.
But if it doesn't ... look at all the angst people put themselves through while it didn't. Fuck angst, ain't nobody got time for that.

It could still happen and all your safety-consciousness might be for naught because something completely random might happen instead and quadraspaz you anyway.

Sure, I wear a helmet and gloves and a jacket (usually Laughing ) when I ride. I have got some common sense. But ... really ... where or why do any of us draw the line where we do?

*ok he was quite a polite old dude, so he didn't actually say "fuck" at any point.

SantiV
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:41 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Kriega US-10 drybag as a tail bag. Around £50-60.
It is a bit expensive but the quality is superb.
Fits my Almax 16mm chain, lock, disk lock + bike cover with no problems.
It comes with straps you fit under the seat frame and you "lock" the bag on top of your seat. If done tightly, it doesn't even move an inch.
Highly recommend if you can stretch the budget!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:09 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Where to store lock and chain? Reply with quote

adengtg wrote:
but i don't think a magnetic Tank bag would hold the weight without slipping off.

You'd be awed; your ghast would be flabbered at the weight you can stick in one with no major issues.

My old GIVI bag on a supermarket booze run:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4522/38388263141_914b429f1d_z.jpg

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4524/38388262861_48953fec9b_z.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Sure, I wear a helmet and gloves and a jacket (usually Laughing ) when I ride. I have got some common sense. But ... really ... where or why do any of us draw the line where we do?

Sure, it's all about personal choice. I'm sure there's people here who wouldn't bother with a helmet if they weren't compelled to use one. Personally - I'm pretty risk-averse but (eg) although I know that full leathers would afford me better protection in an off than my textiles, I choose not to own any, because. Regarding the risk:benefit of wearing a security-chain bandolier though - my own feeling is that it's such an easy win to avoid any risk caused by crashing in it, then why wouldn't you?

arry wrote:
adengtg wrote:
but i don't think a magnetic Tank bag would hold the weight without slipping off.
You'd be awed; your ghast would be flabbered at the weight you can stick in one with no major issues.

Ah, but maybe the OP has a plastic tank though, which would seriously limit his booze-carrying capacity Shocked

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:13 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

strong bag, tailpack, combination tank/tail pack, or a small rucksack held to your pillion seat with rok straps.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2