Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Noob question on exhaust gaskets

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:18 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Noob question on exhaust gaskets Reply with quote

This doesn't apply to me in particular, but if for instance your motorbike exhaust gasket was naffed; can you still use the bike?

I do know some people that continue to ride their bikes with a broken gasket, but i had no idea they'd still ride ok.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you can but it might make the engine run rough, popping on the overrun, hesitant on throttle or rough idle - or all three. Might also increase fuel consumption.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:28 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Sure you can but it might make the engine run rough, popping on the overrun, hesitant on throttle or rough idle - or all three. Might also increase fuel consumption.

Well one neighbour of mine rides his without one as he simply hasnt had time to sort it (so he says) and i notice after i had a go riding his bike, that when you pull clutch in to change gear and close off throttle... you can hear a 'popping' noise

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:41 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popping is usual with a defective exhaust or gasket. Mine had it at the exhaust port for ages, didn't sound too bad when warmed up tho (expanding metal) but come the MOT, the examiner may arrive at a very different opinion. (Excessively noisey!)

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:48 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popping is caused by air getting in at the leak. Oxygen in the exhaust allows any un-burnt fuel to ignite when the exhaust valve opens, which is where the pop comes from.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:56 - 12 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether the engine will still run.. run well enough to ride, is one questio; ext is will it continue to, or lasting damage be done to the engne... to whih the answer is 'possibly' tending to 'probably'

Whether it's LEGAL to ride with it like that is a very different question.... technically, its a defective silencing system, and riding with it knowingly defective, is one potential offence, if it causes excessive noise, another one or two, if any one is bothered to pursue you to the full extent of the law about it.

Exhaust gaskets are about a quid... if the exhaust studs aren't shagged and its the only problem you got its a ten minute fix with one spanner... so what reward to you get for ether risk?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 139 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1