Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Evoke - Starting to be a company to watch? ..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Evoke - Starting to be a company to watch? .. Reply with quote

Well, as you may or may not know, I've started to take an interest in electric motorbikes. And, whilst Zero are probably the best bikes at affordable prices, I think Evoke will soon start giving them a run for their money ..

https://electricmotorcycles.news/evoke-urban-classic-at-eicma-2017/

Biggest issue, as always though, is the range, but if I was to start working in Birmingham again, meaning a 40 mile commute, then either of the Evoke's would certainly interest me, I do quite like the look of the classic..

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made by the same people that make the iphone. Shocked

Range, a joke as usual.

BIG PRINT: 200km (124miles) range.

Small print: at 35kph (22mph)
Small Print: 120km (75miles) at 80kph (50mph)

And you can bet your bottom dollar those are the absolute best they ever got out of it.

So Linuxyeti, if your Birmingham 40 mile commute includes anything over crawling pace and you can't recharge at your place of work it isn't going to make the grade.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:49 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Evoke - Starting to be a company to watch? .. Reply with quote

Will the price reflect the cheap technology, is the question?

Hub motors make a lot of sense for basic commuters (Also could be a nice 'upgrade' to make a basic hybrid out of an ICE bike).

For someone who doesn't expect to leave the city they live in on their bike; makes a lot of sense.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Range, a joke as usual.

And you can bet your bottom dollar those are the absolute best they ever got out of it.

So Linuxyeti, if your Birmingham 40 mile commute includes anything over crawling pace and you can't recharge at your place of work it isn't going to make the grade.

I've not had such a short commute for nearly a year yet, but, all I was saying that if I did still have a 40mile commute, then yes, i would certainly consider this bike, other than that I reckon they are a company to keep an eye on.

Foxconn make lots of high tech things, they are a mass manufacturer, so, that's not an issue.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Range, a joke as usual.

I've not had such a short commute for nearly a year yet, but, all I was saying that if I did still have a 40mile commute, then yes, i would certainly consider this bike, other than that I reckon they are a company to keep an eye on.

Foxconn make lots of high tech things, they are a mass manufacturer, so, that's not an issue.

It will hinge on price of course. £4000 it will probably sell. £8000 it won't.

I don't see why electric vehicles are so expensive. Surely most if not all the components are 'off the shelf' nowadays. It's not like you have to R&D an IC engine.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more the cost of the batteries an battery technology, afterall, and iphone now costs virtually £1K !!! Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:50 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
It's more the cost of the batteries an battery technology

But as demand rises, prices will fall.

Riiiiiight?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's hoping !! Electric is coming, whether we like it or not, as I posted on another topic, Piaggio release an electric scooter as well next year.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
It's more the cost of the batteries an battery technology, afterall, and iphone now costs virtually £1K !!! Shocked

Oh come on mate, that's just Apple milking the Isheep. Batteries for phones cost pennies in relation to their overall price.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:03 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I don't see why electric vehicles are so expensive. Surely most if not all the components are 'off the shelf' nowadays. It's not like you have to R&D an IC engine.

For the most part because they are designed and sold for the 'boutique' market I think.
Though; of course; lithium batteries are expensive. The electronics aren't cheap when it gets up to motorbike power levels either.

Alas; "Hand-stitched from the finest Tibetan leather and delicately wrapped around plush padding" isn't a good sign for the price positioning of this model.

The recent glorified electric push bike was £2500 or something; even a lot of actual electric push bikes push the price well above the cost of components.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

For the most part because they are designed and sold for the 'boutique' market I think.
Though; of course; lithium batteries are expensive. The electronics aren't cheap when it gets up to motorbike power levels either.

Alas; "Hand-stitched from the finest Tibetan leather and delicately wrapped around plush padding" isn't a good sign for the price positioning of this model.

The recent glorified electric push bike was £2500 or something; even a lot of actual electric push bikes push the price well above the cost of components.

Oh sure I get that, but with electric push bikes you can still get £500 low end ones that do the same as the fancy £3000 ones just like you can get cheap little cars and bloody expensive Rollers that do the same job, transporting people.

It doesn't seem anyone has yet gone for a bog standard, usable electric motorbike with no frills, they are all aiming for the Yuppie market as you point out.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 13 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
linuxyeti wrote:
It's more the cost of the batteries an battery technology

But as demand rises, prices will fall.

Riiiiiight?

At the moment, demand is outstripping supply of *decent* cells capable of any meaningful output (A torch does not have the same current demands as a brushless motor, so lesser grade cells are punted in that direction.) This may ease off when the Tesla/Panasonic Gigafactory comes on line. You also have new form-factors emerging, such as 20700/21700, which have greater energy density for a relatively small increase in size.

I'm very interested in a 'leccy bike. But I'm not paying the Hipster/Guinea pig tax for it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:51 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
It doesn't seem anyone has yet gone for a bog standard, usable electric motorbike with no frills

I believe that China is lousy with cheap, slow, low range electroscootays bought by city dwellers for doing a couple of miles each way. It's the UK definition of "usable" that's the sticking point.

Yamaha's long promised mass-market PED / PES bikes appear to be abandonware.

Honda have been releasing electric scooters in a desultory fashion for a couple of decades without gaining any traction.

Electric jam tomorrow though.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I believe that China is lousy with cheap, slow, low range electroscootays bought by city dwellers for doing a couple of miles each way

It is, whenever in Beijing now I almost get squashed by the silent little fuckers many times a day. No licence or registration required, dirt cheap to buy means every man and his dog have 2 (in comparison it's quite difficult to own an actual proper petrol motorbike/scooter in Beijing and near on impossible to do it legally in central Beijing). If you think of that old famous picture of all the people on bicycles in Beijing, you see that volume of electric scooters regularly now at many junctions.

The cheapo ones they have everywhere mostly have removable batteries (similar size to a car battery). Range becomes less important when you can lift the battery out, carry it to your desk and charge it. Though range can't be too bad as all the Jingdong delivery riders use the things.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:24 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what kind of battery tech they're using? Lead, nickel, lithium, dissident adrenal glands?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Any idea what kind of battery tech they're using? Lead, nickel, lithium, dissident adrenal glands?

Stolen

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:53 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Evoke - Starting to be a company to watch? .. Reply with quote

PB or lithium depending on how flush they are generally I think - often they can be fairly easily swappable between the two (my road legal electric scoot thing was originally sold with a PB, but I got it with a lithium battery).

I always thought it'd make perfect sense for a delivery fleet, especially going out from a single base - have a load of freshly charged batteries waiting at the base and swap over as needed.

The bikes could also communicate with the logistics software in regards to battery life and stocks of fully/semi charged batteries.
It could then also try and time charging to be at cheaper times - so if likely demand isn't high, leave the returned batteries uncharged until 3am to get cheap power... or until the day time to charge from solar.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:23 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I think Nissan were leasing batteries (with the leaf?) as it's a massive investment for something which will be a paperweight in 5 years.

wr6133 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I believe that China is lousy with cheap, slow, low range electroscootays bought by city dwellers for doing a couple of miles each way

It is, whenever in Beijing now I almost get squashed by the silent little fuckers many times a day.

I see a couple round London, no lid, plate etc. sometimes riding on the pavement. Eco-baklaf?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:34 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another electric motorcycle with no fucking fairing. Aerodynamics = speed and range people! ffs.

I reckon it would be a (comparartive) piece of piss to convert an old style (pre-unit) royal enfield to electric.

I'm genuinely surprised they havent had a punt at it because they still have all the tooling. You'd just need to bolt in a battery tray where the engine is supposed to be and bolt your electric motor to the gearbox with the end sticking through the crank hole in the primary drive case. You could probably reconfigure the gearbox as a 2-speed crash box with a pair of tin snips and a file. Be perfect for the hipster market.

EDIT: Been done by a Yank. Nissan leaf motor and batteries, 73mph top speed (faster than standard) and 44 mile real world range. Cost £3.5k in parts to convert. Can pick up a useable donor bike for £800.
https://electriccycle.wordpress.com/

Last edited by stinkwheel on 18:47 - 14 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Yet another electric motorcycle with no fucking fairing. Aerodynamics = speed and range people! ffs.

It is called an 'urban' to be fair - at slower speeds, fairings = more weight = less range.

It would be pretty easy to covert any bike to electric.
Even more so if using a hub motor like this one -
Take out old wheel. Replace with hub motor wheel.
Remove rest of ICE stuff and replace with batteries and controller.
You could use the same components this bike uses on pretty much any bike; just with different spacers/spindle.

(Ok, for a 19kw hub motor you're going to need a brace on the swingarm too.)

If you're talking a mid-mounted motor, also have to consider alignment for the chain, but solves the brace issue.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:51 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

It is called an 'urban' to be fair - at slower speeds, fairings = more weight = less range.

It's generally agreed in the velomobile scene that 15mph is roughly the cut-off where aerodynamics start to make a significant impact. Also why you have drop bars on road bikes.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:56 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But does that account for counteracting the extra weight when there's regular accelerating from a standing start?

Drop bars on a push bike don't particularly add to weight or expense.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Evoke - Starting to be a company to watch? .. Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Biggest issue, as always though, is the range, but if I was to start working in Birmingham again, meaning a 40 mile commute, then...

Keep telling yourself that, or just buy what is (and will always be) a novelty, a toy, and enjoy it for what little it is. Range isn't going to improve, so all this "if only" musing is pointless. Buy one! Then you can tell us how disappointing it was. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Evoke - Starting to be a company to watch? .. Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Keep telling yourself that, or just buy what is (and will always be) a novelty, a toy, and enjoy it for what little it is. Range isn't going to improve, so all this "if only" musing is pointless. Buy one! Then you can tell us how disappointing it was. Wink

Don't suppose the internet will take off either Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Already said, as far as range is concerned, at the moment, not good enough, for me, the 120 mile commute, with nowhere to charge when at the office, scuppers that the Zero's are almost good enough, slightly better range from from the 2018 models.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:00 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory the additional range of the Zero comes by virtue of a supplementary battery requiring a separate charger and presumably a separate charging point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5