Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Evoke - Starting to be a company to watch? ..

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
G wrote:
the ICE here is the hideous price

So we agree that the Tesla price is acceptable for the performance?

Yes it has fabulous prformance, but it's a special car, it's not here to promote going green or reducing emissions. It's a car that proves you can have whatever you want if you throw enough money at it.

It's a car that shows the rich they can still have fancy sports cars even if the governments ban ICE cars and fair play to Tesla for doing it.

What it isn't is a car that will promote electric vehicles to the masses unless some of it's technology seeps down to run of the mill cars.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:59 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

So we agree that the Tesla price is acceptable for the performance?

I have no idea what the performance is like.

It's easy to build a car good at straight line speed - more power and less aerodynamic drag.

Electric motors, as we have seen with quadcopters; are ideal for very easily vectoring rapid acceleration through low latency electronic control - so for getting off the line, going to make a lot of sense.

But how that'll transfer to anything but a drag car, is another matter.

So far the only "competitive" thing I've seen existing Teslas doing well in is drag racing, as it goes.

Also; the veyron was Subsidised, I believe - with the group generally making a loss on each car (though this may well not have been the case towards the end of it's production run).
However, actually... seems Tesla loses $13k per car on average too - so in both cases the prices aren't representative of the product you are getting in that regard.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have seen 1 (one) Tesla on the road so far.

I often see one on my commute. Model S and he embarrassed me at a traffic light GP.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:29 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, off you toddle to electrocarwankers.co.uk then.

It appears that Tesla have dead-ended on battery tech and are just adding weight and eking a couple more miles out here and there with electro-trickery. That's a poor sign for transferral to bike tech, which is waiting on the Next Big Thing to really take off.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that they were considering rocket technology on their next gen (0-60 in 1.9 sec) super sport car.
They must be those rockets that run on flower petals and tofu.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/20/elon-musk-teases-flying-tesla-roadsters.html

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:17 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels are going to come off of Tesla faster than Arcane's CBR once the subsidies dry up.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Tesla truck Shocked 0-60 in 5 seconds!!

The Semi can also travel up a five per cent gradient with a max load at 65 mph, compared to a diesel truck that can travel 45mph.
Earning 50 per cent per mile over a diesel truck due to the faster speed.
Diesel trucks are 20 per cent more expensive than a Semi from day one.
The new electric lorry will have a decent 500 miles of range at maximum weight at 60mph.

If they can make it 20% cheaper than a conventional lorry, why can't they make a cheap car?

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/880631/Tesla-Semi-truck-range-price-specs-performance

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:14 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If they can make it 20% cheaper than a conventional lorry, why can't they make a cheap car?

They do, the Tesla 3 is $35k.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:22 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

1) That's not cheap (I know, compared to other performance cars, but it's still not cheap) , and
2) That's the subsidised retail price, not the cost to make it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Cheap is a sub 15k family car that can carry 5 + dog at normal speeds in normal driving conditions and still have a 300 mile range and no battery leasing deal. No one is anywhere near that yet.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:39 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Cheap is a sub 15k family car that can carry 5 + dog at normal speeds in normal driving conditions and still have a 300 mile range and no battery leasing deal. No one is anywhere near that yet.

Because of all them negatives waves.

Clap your hands if you believe in cheap mass market electromobiles.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

1) That's not cheap (I know, compared to other performance cars, but it's still not cheap) , and

It's Mondeo cheap.

Polarbear wrote:
Cheap is a sub 15k

"Cheap" is relative.

Polarbear wrote:
still have a 300 mile range

310 > 300

Polarbear wrote:
family car that can carry 5 + dog

How big is the dog? Tesla 3 can seat 5 Adults. Are you done adding random extra requirements to your cheap car?

Polarbear wrote:
no battery leasing deal.

Apparently not.

You don't lease the batteries, Tesla don't do that. iirc the original Nissan Leaf did this but it's now optional and Nissan aren't Tesla.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ cheap is relative to the the buying demographics of the PRIVATE owner. ^^^

The most popular new car
model in Great Britain in 2016
was the Ford Fiesta (1
19,000),
followed by the Vauxhall Corsa (76,000),
the Volkswagen Golf (71,000) and the
Ford Focus (70,000)

I very much doubt any of their owners would class a £30000 car as cheap.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/608374/vehicle-licensing-statistics-2016.pdf

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:32 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, Have a look and the bike sales demographics on there, quite interesting.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:48 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The most popular new car
was the Ford Fiesta (1
19,000),
Ford Focus (70,000)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/608374/vehicle-licensing-statistics-2016.pdf

Of those listed, I'm not so sure they're that comparable to a Tesla, otherwise, you might as well say my Mash 400 is perfectly comparable to a CB1100RS, which it quite clearly isn't, in so much as a Corsa is comparable to a Tesla 3.

Personally, I think Electric motorbikes & cars will be the norm, relatively soon, the only fly in the ointment is autonomous vehicles, will they spell the end the use of human managed vehicles on the road, if they do, then, it's almost certainly goodbye to motorbikes, of any form of propulsion.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Off topic, Have a look and the bike sales demographics on there, quite interesting.

Fewer young and new riders perhaps.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:59 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The most popular new car
was the Ford Fiesta (1
19,000),
Ford Focus (70,000)

Those stats are for the model range, not specific models. There are 8 Ford Focus models for example, ranging from £20k to £32k. The Fiesta has 12, ranging from £13 to £18k

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:39 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

The most popular new car
was the Ford Fiesta (1
19,000),
Ford Focus (70,000)

Of those listed, I'm not so sure they're that comparable to a Tesla, otherwise, you might as well say my Mash 400 is perfectly comparable to a CB1100RS, which it quite clearly isn't, in so much as a Corsa is comparable to a Tesla 3.

Personally, I think Electric motorbikes & cars will be the norm, relatively soon, the only fly in the ointment is autonomous vehicles, will they spell the end the use of human managed vehicles on the road, if they do, then, it's almost certainly goodbye to motorbikes, of any form of propulsion.

That is my point exactly, they aren't comparable to the Tesla. When you get an electric car that is comparable to main stream personally owned vehicles in range, performance and carrying capacity then I'm sure it will sell like hot cakes.

A Tesla is the sort of car that has to attract Jaguar, big BMW and other well heeled owners to change from their posh ICE cars to the Tesla and it might do quite well but I suspect it will be 'as well', rather than 'instead of'. That is presuming Tesla last that long considering their losses are bloody astronomical.

https://fortune.com/2017/05/04/tesla-motors-stock-earnings/

People with money that can afford more than one car can have the luxury of running an electric vehicle vehicle alongside an ICE knowing they always have a fall back if need be.

I don't know what incentives are in place for hybrids but that to me seems, at the moment, a much better road to go down if you can only have one car and you want to do your bit for the kittens.

Saying that, has anyone come up with an eco comparison with a hybrid and associated battery construction pollution compared with a very eco ICE engined car?

Of course once the government legislate ICE cars off the road, any subsidy's will dissapear and you will find tax on recharging points to get their revenue back, but that's another story Wink

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:52 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Saying that, has anyone come up with an eco comparison with a hybrid and associated battery construction pollution compared with a very eco ICE engined car?

MIT have this... https://carboncounter.com/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:03 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this, the cheapest cars available in the UK and one is an electric car.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/14135/cheap-cars-2017-the-cheapest-new-cars-on-sale-now

The problem is that while 4 of them are bog standard, no frills, cheap cars, the electric one is a 2 seater clown car that has the doors and windows as extras.

Forgetting that, the next expensive is the Renault Zoe.
Forget the not-really-suitable-for-Britain Twizy two-seater and the Renault Zoe is the cheapest electric car you can buy in Britain, from just £13,995 when the £4,500 PiCG has been deducted.

So that is actually £18499 when you take the subsidy's away the the tax payer is donating. Evil or Very Mad Oh, and that doesn't include the battery leasing at £49 to £110 per month depending on the length of the agreement and annual mileage.

However that all said, to me that type of car is what you have to look at to see if an electric vehicle is a viable proposition. That's the car (or it's equivalent) the masses will be stuck with come judgment day, not the Tesla.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:16 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

MIT have this... https://carboncounter.com/

Trouble with that I don't know what half the cars are, and when you call a 3.5l car mid sized I think you are losing the plot Laughing

Anyway, it shows in general hybrids are better than other American cars so fair enough.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:26 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

It's Mondeo cheap.

Nice try. The Mondeo starts at £19,500. But since we're talking US prices, $35,000 is Hyundai Sante Fe cheap. That's £33,000 and upwards here.

I guess we'll find out eventually, if they keep being gifted and loaned enough money to stay in business and ship some over here.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
when you take the subsidy's away the the tax payer is donating. Evil or Very Mad

You really wont like that you're paying towards a colleague's new (petrol) Audi then. He traded in a POS Shogun that was about to fail its MOT - they gave him £8k for it, which is all subsidy. He bought it for £300 3 months ago.

Rogerborg wrote:

Nice try. The Mondeo starts at £19,500. But since we're talking US prices, $35,000 is Hyundai Sante Fe cheap. That's £33,000 and upwards here.

You missed the news, it has to be able to carry 5 adults, a dog - probably a Great Dane and a month's worth of shopping - you need to look at the estate versions.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:22 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
He traded in a POS Shogun that was about to fail its MOT - they gave him £8k for it, which is all subsidy.

You mean the Audi scheme that's separate from the potential government scheme funded by the air quality fund that isn't running yet?

ScaredyCat wrote:
He bought it for £300 3 months ago.

"must have been owned for 6 months or more."

https://www.80snostalgia.com/files/stopic2-300x221.png

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
I have seen 1 (one) Tesla on the road so far.

I often see one on my commute. Model S and he embarrassed me at a traffic light GP.

You see a few round West London, partly because money and also the Tesla charging points at Westfield, which I read somewhere (from an owner) is the only real place to charge-up unless you have a lot of free time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5