Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

We are students and need some help from all of you...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:06 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: We are students and need some help from all of you... Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:
Dear motorcycle enthusiasts,

We are a group of students and motorcycle fans, working on our master thesis. The topic of our thesis is to build a business plan for the development of a Head-up-display (HUD) for motorcycle helmets.

To get a feeling about the potential market it would be an excellent support if you could answer the questionnaire which should take no more than 5 minutes. Your answers will be confidential and used only for academic purposes.

Link to survey: https://goo.gl/forms/dz3JSvv2gxjvHVvH2

As a thank-you we will draw a $25 Amazon gift card (or the local equivalent) among all participants on December 1st.

Thank you and safe rides!

P.S. Feel free to share the link with other riders!

Already on the market !

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:41 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-TXPWVMazg6I/T8fuPuPi06I/AAAAAAAAB4E/odDwRFFNgD0/s400/notagain.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is clamouring for a HUD, so a survey which aims to determine what riders want from one is pointless. It would have to be the kind of product where riders marvelled at how they ever managed without one, or it would be a dead duck. There have been several attempts...

Punt out a relatively simple and cheap version (in terms of development cost and retail price), build a "fan-base" and then expand the features to sell again, and sell to new customers. Spending years developing a Mk XIX when you've never offered a Mk I will only lead to disappointment. Rainpal take note.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
It was OK until it started asking for distance in filthy kilometers and purchase price in despicable Euros.

I took part in a test at MIRA using HUD stuff and it was the same Euros, metric and obscure questions about annual distances☹

We were not allowed to ride above 70mph, only had a few test laps on their bike, then just a couple of more laps with HUD flashing speed warnings. Whole thing was a farce, and I kept trying to state my case that this wasn't how I usually ride. It's like they just designed it around their own confirmation bias.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I look forward to Rainpal® Technologies (no relation to Rainpal® Non Technologies).

kawashima wrote:
https://www.crosshelmet.com/
Is this another rainpal?

https://www.crosshelmet.com/images/top/future-bg01.png
https://www.biliousworks.com/modelmaking/assets/images/DarkHelmet1lrg.png

Is it for people with cranial deformities? Eh?

https://soulhealer.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/4092929561_7ff91e7ba9-e1435587221815.jpg

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:22 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: We are students and need some help from all of you... Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:
a business plan for the development of a Head-up-display (HUD) for motorcycle helmets.

Will it be Brexit compatible?
augeo.hud This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
augeo.hud This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:53 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very few people want a HUD when riding.

For the 3rd time, shit idea, shit biased questionnaire, shit tonne of student debt.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:51 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Engineering' is a pretty big discipline. What brand are you students in?

Personally I did pure-mech... we didn't get so many 'lets pretend' role-play exercises in that, we tended to have too much calculus to wrap our heads around, and something to twiddle with spanners, getting our hands dirty!

We usually left this sort of stuff to the 'product' engineering students, who'd usually really wanted to do art, but been told by Daddy they weren't paying for them to spend four years smoking dope and not looking out the window till after lunch....

When we did get them, we also tried to remember that they ARE just role-play-make-believe... not real.....

MAKE UP THE ANSWERS... its what we had to do before the internet was invented! And hint... make up the answers the Tutor wants/expects to get... the make believe goes a lot further than what's written in the assignment brief!

Didn't you see the disclaimer in the uni syllabus that says "any similarity to persons or events, past or present is purely co-incidence"?

But, thanks for the head's up, that it's only six weeks till Christmas.... when every damn 'engineering student' of the modern millennia, dumps surveys on the web trying to get us to do their home-work for them, when they have run out of grant-cheque, sobered up and realized they have an assignment deadline to meet! Or been rollocked for missing the last one or two!

Oh, and just out of incredibly casual interest... who had the 'HUD Idea? You, the group or was it tutor set?

Very 'push' technology, a solution looking for a problem to make!

Starting the other ways about, looking for a problem to solve... what engineering is actually supposed to be for, funnily enough; the primary purpose of a crash hat is to save your head in an accident....

In forty years, since they became mandatory motorcycle wear in the UK, the basic design of the safety helmet, has remained a polystyrene shock-absorbing basin covered with a plastic skin.... designs have changed a lot, but the construction has not, nor has the amount of impact energy they can absorb changed much...

Probably the most significant innovation to the motorcycle safety helmet has been to venting systems that 'better' keep the visor from misting up... which is probably the only thing that ca actually be sai to 'enhance' the fundemental performance of a crash hat ts ability to help stop you getting hurt....

How will your HUD help me get hurt?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:08 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

augeo.hud wrote:
Also we are developing a business plan according to the lean start-up method, if that tells you something

It tells me that you've got a textbook but no money.

Lean can work for software projects where the only real costs are your time and you can keep racking up more student debt that you'll never pay back.

You're building hardware though, which means you'll either need to con some mugs who actually know what they're doing into working free and gratis, or hit Kickstarter.

augeo.hud wrote:
cheap might not be the answer either.

Of course it's not. It's a tiny market, and your startup costs are significant. You need to be charging 4 figures and getting BMW to sell them to accountants and dentists when they lease an R1200GS.

Huh, I didn't need a market survey or a degree to tell me that. What have you been spending your time and money on?

augeo.hud wrote:
Have some faith in us Wink

Why? What are you doing differently from all the other dreamers and scammers who have failed to bring a usable HUD to the market?

Do you know where they went wrong? You might start with that.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:24 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What are you doing differently from all the other dreamers and scammers who have failed to bring a usable HUD to the market?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=veypor+HUD
12 years ago - was usable enough as far as I understood - the world has changed since then, with viral marketing being more effective in convincing they need products they didn't before perhaps - but there wasn't a massive interest in it then.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:54 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full marks to the guy for actually sticking around, answering questions and so on. Thumbs Up

Skully raised $2,446,824 USD from 1940 backers but they crashed and burned, and all their backers were left out of pocket so all that's proven is that bringing products to market is far more complicated than people first think.

Are there any examples of previous achievements that would give people a reason to have faith in you?

I do like your toothbrush idea though. Razz

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 19:22 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Skully raised $2,446,824 USD from 1940 backers but they crashed and burned, and all their backers were left out of pocket so all that's proven is that getting other people people to pay for your coke and hookers bringing products to market is far easiermore complicated than people first think.

But yes - no thanks, to faith.
Faith is what is used to convince the stupid of the idiotic.

However, if you are the sort that likes faith...
Will you have faith in my friend, the Zimbabwe prince?... with the political changes, he would love to fund your project, if only he could get the money out of his country!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

auger.hud wrote:
think of developing a tooth brush with brushes on both sides

Very Happy I could do top and bottom at the same time. Or teeth and cheeks.
How much are they?

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

come up with an idea for a product people dont know they want.youll make millions.
dont try to peddle out something that 80%of the customer base has already said it dosnt want.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^They've only just introduced text messaging on MotoGP bikes (Honda still not adopted).

Last thing I'd like are coloured images projected onto the visor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^You could try a Harley Davidson owners club....But 1. They tend to wear open face lids. 2. they wouldn't hear the audio instructions.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 124 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3