Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

buying a used bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: buying a used bike? Reply with quote

following on from the guy who's had his pants down on a rough bike.

rather than just taking the piss out of the poor guy we could offer some helpful tips.

things ive learned sometimes getting bent over and laughed at.

1;expect to look at lots of bikes before you find one worth your money.

2;be prepared to travel some miles and be met with a shitter that isnt anything like the bike advertised

3;if its something you really want you should take a friend with you who thinks that bike is a shit.they will enjoy pointing out every little thing to put you off it.this should at best help you drive the price down and if it really is a crashed er6 ,stop you buying.

4;research everything about that bike(and not just fanboy sites)
know what a mint bike will fetch,and accordingly what price used ,rough,scrap will make.

5;if you look at a bike dont fool yourself about "little jobs" a couple of litte jobs = big job and will drive the price down.
if seller says its only £x to fix,tell em to fix it then we can talk.

6;dont be afraid to walk away

floor is open for other handy buyer tips from the years of experience of the people who " couldn't afford a bike they'd worry about scratching, lets be honest"(tentativebike... 2017)

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take someone who knows what they are looking at.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

point 3 was along those lines.
someone who knows their shit and hates what you want.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:04 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure said friend actually knows what they're on about though and doesn't talk you out of a decent bike, like some angry mong did with my GPZ500.

On that, if a bike's up for sale for more than 48 hours, it's unlikely to be a steal at its asking price.

If it's up for over a week, it's likely over priced. Most dealer bikes are in this category.

Yes, there are exceptions for niche or under-rated bikes, but as a general rule, if you're not the first to view a "bargain" bike, it's probably not one.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:30 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did try to help him, a number of times. He kept posting awful bikes like an SV650 without third gear and similar things. We advised him to buy a working decent bike, and eventually he did buy a bike that was at least working but it was cosmetically f*cked and a bit of a dog.

We posted examples of decent bikes so many times. If people won't listen, what can you do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the otherhand, don't roll up expecting a mint bike for half the money when it's half as good as a mint bike

Mike Brewers haggling technique doesn't work in the real world.

Do your research on the bikes beforehand and you should know what you're looking for, any vehicle has it's own pitfalls that when you only know generic things, wont spot
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking at an older 'bargain', I always ask for the reg number, check mileage on the dirctgov site for past MOT's. No reg, don't bother.
So many pitfalls on older / cheaper bikes.
Check downpipes for rust, expensive to replace. Look under the seat, generally gives you a good idea of wiring harness condition. Turn the ignition key, if it jams or needs wobbling it is another expensive fail item. Check disks, lipped or worn, expensive replacements. Check all switchgear. Fork seals, of course, fork stanchions for pitting. As has been said, what seems a bargain could wind up very expensive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, if you get offered anything with more than one cylinder that says RD or LC on the side, for less than £2k, even if it looks like it's been dragged up from the bottom of the sea, buy it! Its a sure way to watch your cash grow.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:17 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Used bike money is crazy these days.By the time you buy one and fix its faults,replace worn out seals,bearings etc.,it ends up being far more than you expected.

I think next bike i will buy will be new pre reg/ex demo at discount rather than fix all the problems.Finance/bank loan APR is low these days so worth it if you are looking at long term ownership which i would be.

I agree. Some are dead against new bikes because they depreciate fast. I feel the pleasure of owning a new bike outweighs this but I know some prefer to keep an old bike on the road to save money. No prob. As above, buy new, keep a long time is a sensible option. Some enjoy tinkering so the new option is of lesser interest. I'm generally not a spanner man but respect those that are. As for buying used - I tend to prefer to pay more at a dealer, with a warranty. It's not foolproof but can avoid buying a complete lemon. If you are confident and enjoy seeking out a private bargain, good on you. Biking pleasure comes in different forms. As a rule I'd stick to less luxurious models buying used - sv650 as opposed to Goldwing sort of thing. But if you really know your stuff there are no rules except yours.
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:58 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be the bikes no-one has heard of that are bargains. On eBay at least. I just got a very shiny ntv650 for £450.... I was the only bidder.

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:02 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Used bike money is crazy these days.By the time you buy one and fix its faults,replace worn out seals,bearings etc.,it ends up being far more than you expected.

I think next bike i will buy will be new pre reg/ex demo at discount rather than fix all the problems.Finance/bank loan APR is low these days so worth it if you are looking at long term ownership which i would be.

Anyone buying second hand would be taking into account initial repair costs, surely?

Why would you be buying new? Yes, interest rates are relatively low, but (ignoring all the inherent problems with borrowing money), as far as value goes - there simply is none. The only advantage to new that I can see would be the pose factor. If that's important to you, crack on and good luck.

biker7 wrote:
I agree. Some are dead against new bikes because they depreciate fast. I feel the pleasure of owning a new bike outweighs this but I know some prefer to keep an old bike on the road to save money. No prob. As above, buy new, keep a long time is a sensible option. Some enjoy tinkering so the new option is of lesser interest. I'm generally not a spanner man but respect those that are. As for buying used - I tend to prefer to pay more at a dealer, with a warranty. It's not foolproof but can avoid buying a complete lemon. If you are confident and enjoy seeking out a private bargain, good on you. Biking pleasure comes in different forms. As a rule I'd stick to less luxurious models buying used - sv650 as opposed to Goldwing sort of thing. But if you really know your stuff there are no rules except yours.

HAHAHA.

I am a spanner man, not particularly with bikes mind you. But what makes you think that an older bike necessarily requires more 'tinkering' than a new bike? I've got a Y plate Triumph, had it for a year, done about 5000 miles and it's cost me £20 MOT and £25 oil and filter change over that time. Both done by a local independent.

How much do you think a service for a new bike is?

Why is a dealer less likely to sell you a lemon than a biker who is moving his pride and joy on?

You're both daft.

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:31 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you care so much that two strangers from the internet choose to buy their bikes differently to you?

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 00:38 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes I must be daft buying new cars, new bikes and new houses. Thing is, I worked hard, put some by and now like to spend a bit in my retirement. I suppose I could buy old stuff and leave my money in the bank and pop off passing the lot to some greedy ungrateful relative! Now that's daft! Good luck to the spanner men - stock up on Swarfega.....I'm off to the dealer to choose my next bike. Might even be 'used' with a peace of mind warranty. One thing's for certain, I won't be servicing it myself - someone's got to keep the mechanics in work! No, usually, the only time I go into my garage is to get the bikes out and ride, ride, ride! Someone's got to buy the new bikes otherwise the second hand ones will eventually dry up.

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:02 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonnie Lad - I don't particularly care - just that this is a forum, you know, for discussing things.

Biker7 - I don't disagree, if you've got the money, feel free to spend it. But don't dress it up as a financially sound practise compared to buying second hand, when it is not. Also - piece of mind warranty. Hmmmm...

Anyway, as an example. This is top of the list on ebay when searching for one of these.

Triumph T120 Bonneville:

Second hand 850miles 3 months old £8999 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-T120-Bonneville/302538330147?hash=item4670b09023:g:CBMAAOSw-09aFHkD

New £10,300 includes 1yr of Triumph Roadside assist
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/bikes/configure?GenreId={83C4B7D0-42EE-4A00-B189-180833DD4240}&ModelId={3F8B5605-9663-43BF-B17A-884DD8DCEAD4}

qarka
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:10 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is everyone forgetting that new bikes are ugly as sin. Never mind the price

Bonnie Lad
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 01:32 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:
Bonnie Lad - I don't particularly care - just that this is a forum, you know, for discussing things.

Your posts on the subject don't exactly scream 'not caring'.

Be happy with your own bike purchases without trying to convince others (and yourself) that your way is the only way Thumbs Up

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:44 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ, 10k for a new bonnie, they making them out of gold now? Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:15 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Christ, 10k for a new bonnie, they making them out of gold now? Laughing

Back in the mists of time when I passed my test (1976 I think) I went to buy a brand new Bonnie (old Meriden version) but it was the astronomical sum of £1600 Shocked

I couldn't afford that so I bought a new Suzuki GT500 for half that price. No wonder NVT went bust.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:35 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: buying a used bike? Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
rather than just taking the piss out of the poor guy we could offer some helpful tips.

Oh jesus christ.

It's not an uncommon subject to expect on BCF, y'know with it it being a motorbike forum.
It would suggest that it has been discussed many many times already.
Anyone who asks the question deserves to get the piss ripped out of them.

Personally, I have posted the following "list" several times over the years.

Quote:
Go with a grease monkey type mate, and take this checklist.

Things to keep an eye out for...

-Check the discs dont have a massive ridge at the edge.
-New brake pads are always good.
-Ask about the wheel bearings, put it on the centre stand and spin the front wheel, and the same with the back. check for a grinding/knocking sound from the centre of the wheel > if so then new bearings.
-While on the centre stand, sit on the bike, lean back so the front lifts a few inches and slowly move the bars from left to right. If you feel and knotches then you will need new headstock bearings, ballache of a job to do and costly on labour if you got to a garage to get it done.
-Check chain and sprockets for wear.
-Listen for a knocking sound from the engine.
-Ask him not to start the bike until you get there, you want to see how easy it starts from cold.
-Feel the engine before it starts to see if he has warmed it up. if he has, ask why. if you dont like his answer walk away.
-Look on the downpipes for any holes, and feel/listen for any blowing from the downpipes and exhausts pipe and can.
-Take the oil filler cap off and look for any white cheesy looking gunk > water in the engine not good.
-The gearbox should make a re-assuring "THUNK" when you knock it into 1st gear. The clutch may rattle/rustle a little and it should stop when you pull the clutch in.

If at any point you get a bad vibe, then walk away. there are thousands of other bikes out there.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:27 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you can save money buying used vs new usually buying privately. Those of us who have bought more than one new bike are well aware of the financial situation, yet we were happy to repeat the process. Often the new bike naysayers have never even had one. I wonder how many Premiere League stars or rock legends scour eBay looking for their next Ferrari! When I was a young man, buying new was not an option. For me now, sadly still not a member of the buying elite, having a bit more dosh means I can endulge in one of life's greatest pleasures from time to time - riding away on a new bike. Win the Lottery, buy used.....yeah right!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of the bikes I've bought over the years have been 2nd hand from dealers. In the early days, I went to the same dealer for several bikes in a row, and got to know them well. Even ended up working for them later on. Before then, I used to pop in quite regularly just to browse and shoot the breeze over a coffee. so I came to trust them. Later ones have been bought from dealers I didn't know, so I was a little more careful about them.

Each time, I 've pretty much used the checklists given here by CaNsA and wristjob, with the added proviso of researching the particular model I was going to view to find about any known faults or problems that are common.

I guess I've been lucky in that I've never really had major problems occur (is it luck, or just that I checked the bikes over carefully before buying? Bit of both perhaps) and so have never needed to put a dealer 2nd hand warranty to the test.

Probably paid a few quid over the odds in that time (dealer premium), but in each case it was much more convenient for me to do it that way, so that's what the extra paid for.

If I was wealthy, I'd certainly buy new more often than I did, but I try to look for the lowest possible mileage/best condition examples I can, and won't view anything that sounds like it needs work, as I don't do much spannering myself these days. Price and spannering have to be weighed up carefully. If you're good with the tools, can get parts cheaply enough, and have the time for it, even an old dog might be worth the punt, depending on this and that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:
ZX-7R wrote:

Anyone buying second hand would be taking into account initial repair costs, surely?

Why would you be buying new? Yes, interest rates are relatively low, but (ignoring all the inherent problems with borrowing money), as far as value goes - there simply is none. The only advantage to new that I can see would be the pose factor. If that's important to you, crack on and good luck.

I think you need to buy a few second hand bikes that have been utterly fucked by previous owners, to the situation where you miss out riding over summer because of it, then you will think, a new bike isn't that much hassle.

Sure if you want a resto project then expect big work, thats why i have an ypvs350, tzr 250 and tdr250, but alot of these 20 year old bikes now are just fucked, if you just wanna ride a bike with no hassle, then a new bike would be the best option for you.
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:20 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: buying a used bike? Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
wristjob wrote:

Oh jesus christ.

It's not an uncommon subject to expect on BCF, y'know with it it being a motorbike forum.
It would suggest that it has been discussed many many times already.
Anyone who asks the question deserves to get the piss ripped out of them.

Personally, I have posted the following "list" several times over the years.

Quote:
Go with a grease monkey type mate, and take this checklist.

Things to keep an eye out for...

-Ask about the wheel bearings, put it on the centre stand and spin the front wheel, and the same with the back. check for a grinding/knocking sound from the centre of the wheel > if so then new bearings.
-While on the centre stand, sit on the bike, lean back so the front lifts a few inches and slowly move the bars from left to right. If you feel and knotches then you will need new headstock bearings, ballache of a job to do and costly on labour if you got to a garage to get it done.
-Ask him not to start the bike until you get there, you want to see how easy it starts from cold.
-Feel the engine before it starts to see if he has warmed it up. if he has, ask why. if you dont like his answer walk away.
-Look on the downpipes for any holes, and feel/listen for any blowing from the downpipes and exhausts pipe and can.
-Take the oil filler cap off and look for any white cheesy looking gunk > water in the engine not good.
-The gearbox should make a re-assuring "THUNK" when you knock it into 1st gear. The clutch may rattle/rustle a little and it should stop when you pull the clutch in.

If at any point you get a bad vibe, then walk away. there are thousands of other bikes out there.

So yes im the 'fool' who brought a second hand bike that might be more headache than it was worth..... But honestly. Im not sure it was that bad... Yeah more than i thought at first but not that big a deal. the bike isnt bent...

This check list....

They have a 1mm dip on the outer edge where the brake pad presses, I always said they looked a little worn, but I think still legal and safe. However I have sourced some decent second hand OEM discs for 60 quid... Im just getting some further details on the condition. But at first it seems they are near new. Been confirmed not warped bent or damaged in any way... They have come off a crashed bike (I know omen) but like i said... confirmed straight... If theyre not in any way as good as the seller describes ill be sending them back.

The ones on there certainly have some life left in them but If i get these new discs ill replace them anyway...

The bike is hard to push but its the brakes lightly binding. The bearings appear smooth when ive had it up on the stand...

I admit on later inspection the headstock bearing might need replacing... No Knocking but a little play, I can do that myself, and might as well do it while I do the forks. No biggy tbh.

Chains good. Sprockets a little worn but certainly has more life in it... No need to replace right now.

Engine sounds good...

Starts from cold no problem at all.... Ive also ran it through the gears. All gears changed without a hitch and were easy.... Heck getting it into neutral was shockingly piss easy compared to the shitty lexmoto... It was like a revelation.... This is what its meant to be like.

Didnt do this test so... well... yeah... but like i said starts first time without a hitch since ive had it.

Downpipes dont have any holes. Some light dusting of rust but nothing scary. might clean the rust and give it a sealing coat of something just to protect it...

Didnt check, will do.

The 'Reassuring Thud' is all well and there... Wasnt reassuring when i first felt it. I was like... is that meant to do that?

I admit the bikes not in perfect condition. but these are all things I can fix. Forkseals and brakes are the only mechanical thing wrong, And im doing them. Headstock might need a new bearing but it could just need tightening investigating that today... New renthal handlebar is on the way, and thats 10-30 minutes work tops... In all honesty the majority of the work is going to be fixing the crack in the fiaring repairing the bits of interior fairing and sorting out the tank.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2