Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

1999 XJ600 Diversion

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:12 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: 1999 XJ600 Diversion Reply with quote

Alright,

Needing a little bit of advice, a friend of a friend's dad is selling his 1999 xj600 diversion, it has 13k on the clock and recently passed it's mot with no advisories, i've not seen it yet but been told it's in good condition, bearing in mind this will be my first big bike is it worth getting to build some experience on and have as a winter hack ?

My wife is pregnant and our baby is due in Feb next year, hency why i have decided not to go and get the bike i want and spend £3k(ish)

He's looking for £800 so could maybe get him down to £700-750, insurance is pretty cheap as well.

Thoughts please?? I've heard the bike is really quite bland however it is just to gain some experience on and i'm kind of thinking it's better than nothing lol

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:19 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, usable machine, reliable and easy to work on. Bland? Probably if you are coming from an R1 or something like that. As a step up from a 125 it will be fun. You can still loose your licence on it and the lack of power can be educational as you learn to plan a bit further ahead.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:23 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Stalk, A am bearing that in mind all though reviews and people say bland i understand for me it will still be a huge step up and good fun, think i should go for it ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:57 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's up to you, I would have another but then I don't want to go everywhere at a million miles an hour. As to price, there will always be someone out there to show you a better deal, usually after you have paid your money. Compare prices, test ride bike. Decide. Be prepared to leave asking price as a deposit as drop it, buy it. Good luck chap!

Oh, and check the exhaust collector box and silencers. They rot. Clutch rattle is a built in feature and nothing to worry about. Check the yamaha diversion owners website. Every thing you will ever need to know

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£800 for a bike with known history rather than a random from eBay seems good to me. The bikes are fine, not particularly good at anything, but not particularly bad either. If the condition is good then it gives you an inexpensive baseline upon which to decide what you want your next bike to be like.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:24 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot will defo check that Stalk.

Cheers bamt a think that's exactly what i wanted to hear lol, Going to check it out after work tonight and go from there!

Kaz

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: 1999 XJ600 Diversion Reply with quote

kaz32 wrote:

My wife is pregnant and our baby is due in Feb next year, hency why i have decided not to go and get the bike i want and spend £3k(ish)

Spend the cash now, you will never have it again. Crying or Very sad

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
£800 for a bike with known history rather than a random from eBay seems good to me. The bikes are fine, not particularly good at anything, but not particularly bad either. If the condition is good then it gives you an inexpensive baseline upon which to decide what you want your next bike to be like.

Exactly this Thumbs Up

You really can't get much for £800 nowadays. If it's decent I would buy it for that money. Even if you get bored with it in 12 months you will get your money back easily.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:04 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Totally agree ^^^

Wifie had one as her first big bike and loved it. I wasn't adverse to riding it either. As said, nothing special, nothing bad. Dead simple air cooled 4 that goes well, if not spectacularly fast.

Go for it Thumbs Up

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:04 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have gone up in price a bit but even £800 is damn good for a low mileage divvy!

ive had 6 now.. all over 60k miles, my first i used and abused, wheelied it, crashed it and then had a car park on top of it writing it off, 7 days later i rode it 200 miles to the bcf bbq then 200 miles back, sold it 3 weeks later at over 90k miles on the clock!

cannot fault them, only issue i ever had with one was it ate every other tooth on the rear sprocket.. no idea why probably my shit maintenance.

easy as fuck to work on
parts are cheap
good for 100mph
good mpg
crash well
can be wheelied if you have balls.
knee down is easy as hell.

i say do it.

ignore the weird arty photo shit i was young..

the red one was odd it had fairing mirrors that where standard yet i still to this day have never seen another with them

https://i.imgur.com/x1iqnk3.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/urcKLpn.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/UIBCKXI.jpg

even took it on the track

https://i.imgur.com/T7Er5a7.jpg

Last edited by Hahadumball on 16:27 - 14 Nov 2017; edited 2 times in total

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:05 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha Kris if a could get away with it without her bursting my head trust me i would lol Nah in all seriousness am happy to wait to get the bike a wait and think if am happy with the bike when i see it i will take it!

Cheers Matt that is kind of what i'm thinking tbh!

Kaz

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:09 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help people, really appreciate it!

Despined, Polarbear.. I'm going for it and am buzzing now lol!

Kaz

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:18 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaz32 wrote:
I'm going for it and am buzzing now lol!

It's an 18 year old bike. Decide based on its actual condition, and for the love of allah don't walk up with a fistful of money and hand it over based on what other people have told you about it.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:42 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will go over with £700 i think and see what i can do.

Thanks Again all.

Nice pics despined Thumbs Up

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:19 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Rogerborg said (and I mentioned), do make your buy decision on the condition of the actual bike you see. The model itself is fine, but if this one looks or feels wrong then walk away.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
kaz32 wrote:
I'm going for it and am buzzing now lol!

It's an 18 year old bike.

That's (apparently) done 13k Eh? That's one committed fair weather biker or something's up. MOT history would give an indication.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:52 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea i'll check the bike out best i can and go from there, will definitely be checking the MOT history and making sure mileage adds up!

Thanks

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 14 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't buy it, I'll have it for £800.

In fact, there's not a lot that I wouldn't have for £800 come to think of it...

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

dydey90 wrote:
If you don't buy it, I'll have it for £800.

In fact, there's not a lot that I wouldn't have for £800 come to think of it...

mint vtr? just needs rear brakes

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're fast from the lights, decent at overtaking but over 80 they're slow and mine doesn't like to do over 100, top indicated I've had is 120 with a pillion which it seemed to like, I've got weird effective gearing though.

Mine also drinks way more fuel than I expected seeing how much everyone raves about the economy. I'm pretty sure I get better in my 1.6 civic.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
They're fast from the lights, decent at overtaking but over 80 they're slow and mine doesn't like to do over 100, top indicated I've had is 120 with a pillion which it seemed to like, I've got weird effective gearing though.

Mine also drinks way more fuel than I expected seeing how much everyone raves about the economy. I'm pretty sure I get better in my 1.6 civic.

if youre getting less than 45mpg-50mpg youre bikes borked or your gearing is fucked

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:23 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

With mine it was 200 miles to a tank riding sensibly, and 120 to a tank if I was having fun, so it depends on what you do with your right hand. Assuming that the bike is in a good state of tune.

kaz32
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:43 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so not much progress yet due to being busy with loads of other stuff.

However some progress has now been made, spoke with him today and arranged to see the bike tomorrow, new info I have is that since being mot’d(April 17) the bike has not been ridden due to the owner suffering from arthritis.

Let you all know how I get on tomorrow!

Thanks for all the comments/advice/opinions it’s all very much appreciated,

Kaz.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the dizzys. If I hadn't won the CBF on eBay, a Diversion 900 was up next. That's a shaft drive though, unlike the 600.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:20 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suck through teeth at those squeaky brakes that might want an overhaul and the thorough service it needs and drop 700
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2