BCF: Bike Chat Forums

changing gear?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dab of the clutch when going up through the gears on hard acceleration, but I could just as easily not be using the clutch - it's more force of habit.

Dab clutch + blip throttle + tap down - the Brutale was the first bike I've had that practically forces me to blip the throttle to change gear going down. Quicker shift is much better for keeping the bike in gear on mountain descents heading into hairpins etc. I expect I could extend this into a clutchless downshift, but I don't think I'd be gaining much.

Lots of clutch action between first and second; first is a bit too responsive for smooth riding, but second doesn't have quite enough torque below 10mph. So I'm bouncing between the two when filtering, and using a bunch of clutch slip, sometimes freewheeling with bursts of mediated throttle.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:41 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:
Here's a question then...

Do any of you change gear without using the clutch when driving a car?

I have done in the past, in my old Datsun Stanza when the clutch cable had snapped and i couldnt afford to fix it.

Used to start it in gear as well Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:

Not routinely, no, but I can do it and have (useful for when the cable snaps or cylinder fails). In a car it is simultaneously easier and more challenging. Easier because you have the safety net of a neutral between each gear, where you can pause whilst you match engine revs to road speed before getting the next gear (up or down). More challenging because you have the extra faff of getting through neutral between the gears and having to rev-match. Car 'boxes have synchromeshes too, which act as a clutch mechanism, aiding with the shifts (but can only compensate for small speed differentials and will baulk the change if speeds are not well-matched). Furthermore, a car carries a lot more momentum and inertia, which will punish a poorly-timed clutchless gear change.

With all that waiting and rev matching it is slower than a clutched change, so no benefit (beside the man point thing).

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:28 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it in the car to show Mrs Borg that it can be done, and also to demonstrate that it's possible to make decent progress using low revs and softly-softly shifts rather than her lead foot and stamp-yank-crash gearchanges.

It didn't sink in of course, bless her silly girlish head.

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:56 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

And all of that kind of demonstrates the point that while it's possible, it's also pointless unless there's an actual need - the only needs being to instruct or because of breakdown.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:
And all of that kind of demonstrates the point that while it's possible, it's also pointless unless there's an actual need - the only needs being to instruct or because of breakdown.

Or if you're a cripple, like me Smile

One should never assume they know everything Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oneear
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:26 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

Or a cripple, like him Wink

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

She'll be needing that clutch anyway, as how else would she be able to stop the car from dropping backwards while she's waiting at an uphill junction?

(I gave up whinging about that years ago)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

She'll be needing that clutch anyway, as how else would she be able to stop the car from dropping backwards while she's waiting at an uphill junction?

(I gave up whinging about that years ago)

God yes, I'm always waiting for wifies clutch to burn out the way she hangs her car on it. Rolling Eyes

As far as bikes go, I did it to prove to myself I could and have never done since. I don't see the need.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

1150 flat twin with shaft drive, I use the clutch. YPVS/TZ hardly ever to change gear after pulling away, use it to slip out of hairpins to keep in the power.
Horses for courses.

OGR

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:00 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:

Yeah man, auto.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:

Only if I don’t have a spare hand because I’m either sending a text, replying to an email or drinking a coffee

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think theres times in normal riding where a bit of clutch is essential on a two smoke, and yet it could be totally irrelevant on a big sports bike or tourer that's got grunt everywhere and isn't being ridden hard.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slipper clutch. Wub

Clutchless upshifts when taking pillions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:09 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as cars are concerned, I have to vote-auto too!
Fantastic inventions... especially when liable for repairs to the woman's mota....

ALTHOUGH! My Gran bought a Vauxhall Chevette brand new in 1981; in 1991, it failed it's MOT... the tyres were perished... "But it's only done 17,ooo miles!!" she grumbled... Uncle bought her an Automatic Hyundi, when she was waving all the old service receipts around, trying to justify why it shouldn't have failed it's MOT for tyres, and he spotted it had had three new clutches in that time!

Other Uncle's feet poking out from under his G/F's similar shuvvit around three times a year, might have made me dismiss this as a Shuvvit 'thing', except for the blue fug of expletives so often emanating from under the front of an Avenger my other Gran drove....

So when my ex decided to learn to drive, a Meastro auto, seemed like a good way to avoid such hassle..... until she killed the entire gear-box!!!!

Hmmm.. yeah... remember, make something idiot-proof, they build a better idiot!

So I was even MORE idiotic... I bought a Range-Rover 'Auto' with the rare Chrysler 'Torqueflte' gearbox... a device more accustomed to handling the monster torque of a 7 litre Mopar V8 'Hemi' engine in something like a Dodge Ram pick-up, or a Dodge Charger... a 'puny' little 213Ci Buick block isn't EVER going to over stress THAT.... surely!?!?

Y-E-R-S.... I forgot the warning of the Lode-Lane-Lads, that Land-Rovers were tested to destruction, crossing the Darian Gap, Chucking them out of aeroplanes, dragging freight trains, sort of stuff, and they couldn't kill'em!.... 'till they gave'em to a farmers' wife for a week!!!!

My last sight of that poor, rare model Spen-King masterpiece was doing an impression of a MASH extra spewing gallons of red-fluid from the back of a stretcher!!!

Back on topic, I'm with Sid on this; actual clutch lever movement used on the move is so small, and the act of using it so 'reflex', consciously trying NOT to use it, usually makes for slower, more jerky, changes than not!

Contemplating Diggs/'Strip's suggestions over cold or tired hands?!? Probably the only place I really ever do a clutch-less, usually down shift.... but, where it would actually be useful, is where you really don't want to use it..... like in stop-start snarl, or on 'err bludi guzzi, with its atlas hands car-clutch! Actually feat enough to do a clutched change on that tractor box, let alone a clutch-less one!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Back on topic, I'm with Sid on this; actual clutch lever movement used on the move is so small, and the act of using it so 'reflex', consciously trying NOT to use it, in my case, usually makes for slower, more jerky, changes than not!

FTFY.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:40 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
my case
FTFY.

Is usually a bad one....
But in comparative maths, all rather depends on the base line you pick for the comparison!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:11 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
all rather depends on the base line you pick for the comparison!

Well, as you have probably gathered by now, my baseline is a Fazer 1000. The gearbox is slick enough to make clutchless upshifts very easy. If you have a bike like that, it becomes as second nature as changing gear with the clutch, and requires no more thought. But I've had bikes where I don't think it would have been as easy.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I use the lever for 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. The rest is done without the lever.

No surprise there... Middle Finger

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:32 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:
I use the lever for 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. The rest is done without the lever.

Aww, shorty gettin' fired up. Laughing A lever is not required, I'm not pinging it into gear at top rpm Laughing Cool it loompa.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

Aww, shorty gettin' fired up. Laughing A lever is not required, I'm not pinging it into gear at top rpm Laughing Cool it loompa.

Now that did make me snigger Laughing

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oneear wrote:

I've always wondered about sequential transmissions in racing cars, as they upshift without but use the clutch going down the box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcnMy01xGlQ

AFAIK (could be entirely wrong) it's so you don't wreck the gearbox.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutchless is super-smooth done right. Gives me less chance to make a jerky shift with a pillion on the back. The bandit gearbox is pretty slick and goes up and down nicely everywere except 2->1 Clutchless down is really only for getting a bit of a move on though.

Every even faintly sporty bike I've ridden has been ok with clutchless. I found the 99 R1 a bit notchy but I think that was just my unfamiliarity with it. The XV535 i owned was reluctant to go up the gears clutchles and did so with some fairly loud clunks, but paradoxicly would downshift smoothly if I had my foot in the wrong place and hit a bump. Found my 125s would find plenty of false neutrals if I was remotely clumsy.

I'm not really a car person and haven't had one long, but occasionally I forget about that damned pedal on the left and then surprise myself when it goes in smoothly. Having tried it for laughs when trying to get the slow thing to shift, it doesn't do it in a hurry, mostly as the engine is slow to gain or lose revs. Works if i'm taking my time but the I might as well dab the clutch. A polo is not the kind of car you can be lazy with.

natefz6
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:24 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the bike I am pretty much clutchless from 1st up, I tend to use the clutch coming down unless I am feeling particularly lazy or its fecking freezing and I have my hand tucked down. I find its smoother on the way up, just roll off slightly and it pops up a gear.

In the car I always use the clutch.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2