Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Am I A Old Man?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:13 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Am I A Old Man? Reply with quote

I am 25 and get a lot of stick when ever I mention my r1150gs and more when I tell people I'm getting a r1200gs. I'm starting to change my mind about getting a GS now. Recently saw a load of fat oldish people driving them which kinda put me off.

Kinda considering this now as a less practical more who gives a shit all rounder. Triumph Bonneville Scrambler. I mean its a scrambler so it should be able to do anything the GS can just looks more awesome.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zYsAAOSwtRxZ0fil/s-l1600.jpg

I have a feeling it may be a old mans bike just wanna check in da hood.
I need ya help I need to regain some street cred y0

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like that!

...so yeah it's probably an old man's bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:19 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faux carbs....indefensible.

I'm old enough to know better. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:26 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know for streetcred the R1/CBR/GSXR are king but having owned one I never want one again. They are too fast and I could never just plod about doing 30mph on it; it wanted to be ragged. Also I was constantly paranoid about my CBR getting stolen and they aren't too comfortable either.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:33 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBR...the comfiest superbike ever made....and that 'scrambler' is just as nickable as a superbike.

Yes, it is pleasing to the eye but I can't get past the falseness of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:45 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd stick with the daft German tractors instead of that Triumph personally, unless you want to be labelled as a bearded coffee drinker instead? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think I'd stick with the daft German tractors instead of that Triumph personally, unless you want to be labelled as a bearded coffee drinker instead? Laughing

He's already fretting about labels.
Pick one, or stop caring what other people think and do what currently makes you happy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 15 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
unless you want to be labelled as a bearded coffee drinker instead? Laughing

Whoa there, I'm bearded, I rather like coffee, I didn't know there was a label for that. Is it a bad label?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
unless you want to be labelled as a bearded coffee drinker instead? Laughing

Whoa there, I'm bearded, I rather like coffee, I didn't know there was a label for that. Is it a bad label?

Hipster - the worst there is. Although frankly with an 04 Movano van I think you're in the clear

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who cares what anyone else thinks. Get what you want it's not a fashion show. I like that triumph though.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:31 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a BMW revival about quarter of a century ago amongst 'younger' riders.. aided at the time by the Norwich-Union bike insurance bomb-shell, when they had about 90% of the UK bike insurance market, and announced "No new Policies, and no-one under 30!" BMW 'marketing men' had latched onto the Born-Again yuppies, and offered a one-stop-shop, all you need with a BMW propeller badge on it, including insurance, that was available to 'any' BMW jockey..... An old air-cooled boxer also made a far more practical every day commuter than an arse in the air, prey for speed, sports-bike... And so they became a fashion statement and Charlie & Ewan wannabees started buying'em....

Biking has, ever since, aided even more by DAS, suffered an aging demographic... I am only a few years off being eligible for insurance from SAGA! YET, have consistently been younger the the 'average' biker!!!! Despite them who think I should be carbon dated!!!!

TWENTY FIVE! Shut UP you young fogey! Stop worrying about what brand name hoodie or trainers your peers will be impressed by in the school yard!

Go get something completely daft, utterly impractical, and preferably painful to actually ride more than half a mile... before arthritis in broken old bones (from crashing daft bikes!) starts to bite, and live a little before some-one finds other expensive uses of your disposeable income and credit rating! (that usually have the word 'kitchen' in the description!)

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy an R1200 for no other reason than that everyone knows they are prone to frequent and expensive failures.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:09 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a street triple and live a little. You'll wonder why you ever fucked on with a GS.

How often do you actually go offroad on your GS anyway? It's perfectly possible to ride any old motorbike for a short distance offroad once in a while.

Triumphs of all flavours are commnly stolen because they are easy to hotwire.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:16 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been green laning with people that were riding Triumph scramblers.

The Triumph riders seem more gung-ho twist the throttle and see what happens next than the GS riders Laughing
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:11 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Pick one, or stop caring what other people think and do what currently makes you happy.

It's your bike. Who gives a fuck what anyone else thinks. Get what's right for you, not your mate. He's not riding it or paying for it, so he doesn't get a say in it.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:37 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Hipster - the worst there is. Although frankly with an 04 Movano van I think you're in the clear

I've been called many things in my time, but a hipster I am not!

I would have thought the '93 Astra would clear me of that label as well!

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't make your financial decisions based on what other people think of you and your old man bike. Wink

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:34 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mate of mine (who is an old man at the age of 52) sold his 1050 Tiger and bought one of these. He loves it. I rode it this summer and can see why - it is physically small, all the grunt happens low down and as long as you don't expect to keep up with sportsbikes it is just fine.....

As for the 'hipster' label, that shouldn't put you off buying one if you like it. 'Hipster' will pass soon enough and you'll still have your bike!

I fancy one of the smaller Triumphs myself, but would probably go for the Bonnie lookalike with naughty exhausts and a re-map for a bit more power if such a thing is possible in today's cotton-wool world....

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:

Depends if it is a beaten up old shed or ironically vintage.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 09:51 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a TDM900 since I was 21, you like what you like.

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't compromise !

Get out there and ride the bikes you fancy and suit your requirements, then buy the one that you prefer most!
What bikes have you considered before peer pressure kicked in making you consider buying a Honda Cub?

No point trying to appease the people not riding the damn thing.
If you listen to what other people want, you'll end up with their bike.

Rolling Eyes

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought a Yamaha Tracer (Yamaha's age bracket for this bike is 50+) as a birthday present to myself for my 30th - Easily the best bike I have ridden (CBR's, R6's etc)

I enjoy it so much I can't wait for the GT version which comes out in June next year Cool

Do I care about what people think of me.....no

Is the bike fun to ride......yes

Does it make me happy......yes

Case closed

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:07 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride either a pipe and slippers bike (25 year old VFR750) or an epic pipe and slippers bike (enfield bullet) anyway.

I still wouldn't ride a big BMW GS. Not because of what people would think but more because I've ridden a couple and really didn't like them.

Have you tried a 1050 tiger? Those are fun.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Ted wrote:

Depends if it is a beaten up old shed or ironically vintage.

Erm....

https://i.imgur.com/amVwQjV.jpg

I'm going with non-hipster shed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3