PostPosted: 11:54 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/amVwQjV.jpg

I'm going with non-hipster shed.

Judging by the instagram filter, I think you're wrong Razz

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not an old man. With age comes the knowledge that you should buy what you want, not what you think you should be seen wanting.

That you're choosing your bike based on what other people think of it means that you're not old.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZX-7R wrote:
Thought we were all meant to be united against the powers that be and cagers?,not bickering amongst ourselves.

Thought I'd logged on to the wrong forum for a moment there Laughing

Motorcycles should be affairs of the heart. Get what your heart says to get.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Ted wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/amVwQjV.jpg

I'm going with non-hipster shed.

Agreed, that's about as hipster/scene as it comes

Only let down by the fact you haven't "got camber"

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Am I A Old Man? Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
I am 25 and get a lot of stick when ever I mention my r1150gs and more when I tell people I'm getting a r1200gs. I'm starting to change my mind about getting a GS now. Recently saw a load of fat oldish people driving them which kinda put me off.

Kinda considering this now as a less practical more who gives a shit all rounder. Triumph Bonneville Scrambler. I mean its a scrambler so it should be able to do anything the GS can just looks more awesome.

I have a feeling it may be a old mans bike just wanna check in da hood.
I need ya help I need to regain some street cred y0

Once you've decided who your target audience actually is, pick something to please them.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:36 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should definitely get whatever bike makes it look like you're too cool to care about what your friends think.

Last edited by Rogerborg on 15:04 - 16 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:

Granted I have one of those Instagram account things, but I never remember to use it, and don't see the point anyway. All edits are done using a photo editor app.

I am however deeply offended by these wild accusations and labels.

I will have to vent my anger by cutting one of the CX500’s into a bobber, painting silver and fitting slightly knobbly tyres, and then park it outside Starbucks, where I shall sit stroking my beard drinking a skinny double mocka vanilla latte with cream and sprinkles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL- wrote:
I brought a Yamaha Tracer (Yamaha's age bracket for this bike is 50+) as a birthday present to myself for my 30th - Easily the best bike I have ridden (CBR's, R6's etc)

Exactly my plan! I've test ridden it twice now - once solo, once two up and I loved. So much bonkers fun yet also practical. Actually prefered it to the mt10 I also test rode, although the power on the 10 was awesome. The announcement of the GT model is a spanner in the works though, might have to wait.

OP if you haven't already try a tracer!

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
AL- wrote:
I brought a Yamaha Tracer (Yamaha's age bracket for this bike is 50+) as a birthday present to myself for my 30th - Easily the best bike I have ridden (CBR's, R6's etc)

Exactly my plan! I've test ridden it twice now - once solo, once two up and I loved. So much bonkers fun yet also practical. Actually prefered it to the mt10 I also test rode, although the power on the 10 was awesome. The announcement of the GT model is a spanner in the works though, might have to wait.

OP if you haven't already try a tracer!

Glad you enjoyed it. I have had it over 2 years now and still enjoying it. 90% of my riding is two up so it suits my needs perfectly

Always surprised by how much go the engine has. I know it's only putting out 115bhp but that's more than enough for road riding

Yes my plan is to trade in my 15' plate for the GT, all depends on how they price it. I am thinking it will be 10k Cool

kev2b4
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get/Ride what you want - you're riding for you!
Who cares what anyone else thinks- same goes for my car - it;s usually the oldest in the carpark

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:

I will have to vent my anger by cutting one of the CX500’s into a bobber, painting silver and fitting slightly knobbly tyres, and then park it outside Starbucks, where I shall sit stroking my beard drinking a skinny double mocka vanilla latte with cream and sprinkles.

I think there's more of those than there are decent standard CXs these days. Most of them look utter crap but I have seen a couple of decent ones. I think I must be one of the few people out there that actually likes the standard look (and I'm also under 30!)

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the bike you deserve.Pass the popcorn ...Hear me out then ignore.

Ducati Monster. Hip...Sounds...Steers...Brakes...Motor..Resale value.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:39 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Get the bike you deserve.Pass the popcorn ...Hear me out then ignore.

Ducati Monster. Hip...Sounds...Steers...Brakes...Motor..Resale value.

Or an MV, or would that make them a bit too common for you, HT?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could tell from the grammar of the post title that you were of the txt spk generation, hence not old.

Standards of education have slipped post Thatcher (milk snatcher).

Educated enough to steal street furniture to sell on via Shpock though. Laughing

Try some bikes on, then buy the one that's two sizes too small and highlights your muffin tops. More about how it rides than looks for me.

Srsly, Fireblade.

rhun
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:08 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 26 and ride an R1200RT, who cares. Get whatever you like.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@TheNobster I'd love to recommend one but I can't.....yet.

Well, until the half decent 2nd hand ones come down in price. Gotta be tres picky with which year(month in some cases) to choose.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:30 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much wrong with that Thai made Triumph, fake carbs, heavy as hell with no performance, ever tried one in the mud?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

I think there's more of those than there are decent standard CXs these days. Most of them look utter crap but I have seen a couple of decent ones. I think I must be one of the few people out there that actually likes the standard look (and I'm also under 30!)

I can't stand most of them. Both mine are tatty/ratty things, but not chopped about.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:08 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Ted"]
kgm wrote:

I can't stand most of them. Both mine are tatty/ratty things, but not chopped about.

Genuine rats are OK, I actuslly like the look of one which has clearly just been really well used. I'm or really into the whole survival bike thing though. I did consider letting my cx go rat but after I started making it roadworthy I got a bit carried away and spent way more than I probably should have. Just needs a clutch and a leak at the water pump housing sorted (reckon the gasket not the mech seal as it's definitely not the weep hole) and I'll be able to ride it for the first time.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:55 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
I did consider letting my cx go rat

How would you define a "rat" bike?

How would you identify a "rat" bike?

I'd imagine that the number of bikes that you could point at and say "rat" which have "gone" that way naturally is probably on the order of the number of teeth in Bodyguard's head.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:35 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago 'Rat look' was considered to be something done intensionally to make a vehicle look abused/unused/old/knackered. 'Survival' bikes were those which looked tatty due to use and the standard of repairs.

I.e. rat look might involve smashing a fairing, then cable tying it back together, survival would be cable tying an accidentally smashed fairing.

I'm not sure if this definition still exists, or if it's all rat look now.

As with most things it's hard to classify everything except the extremities.

I class both my CXs as rats, one was intentionally sprayed Matt black and is otherwise tatty but almost stock, the other had a bad paint job, but is all stock, albeit tatty. The CBF too has had a poor paint job, so could well class as rat. The Astra has had various minor modifications and aesthetically unappealing repairs, and thus also classes as a rat.

Nothing cleans up well, I think that's where I personally draw the line on used/rat.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:23 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that a rat bike is one that''s weathered naturally through hard use and low budget maintenance using bodge fixes. A survival bike I thought was deliberately styled for the post apocalyptic mad max look.

It is difficult to classify and most do look that way due to deliberate styling but I think a genuine aged rat bike is kinda cool. I'm not aged fan of sticking netting, deactivated grenades and animal bones all over a bike as many survival bikes have. My CG was verging on rat before I rebuilt it just through hard use. Mechanically sound though, it just had little spent on cosmetic maintenance.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
a rat bike is one that''s weathered naturally through hard use and low budget maintenance using bodge fixes.

I guess some CBF125s would have counted from new.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:59 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAT= Ridden-All-Time

Ie anything that's not a pure leisure implement or garage-trophy.

Improvised repairs or mods were never obligatory, and deliberate 'Designer-Distressing' for a RAT-Look was a definite faux-par.

Survival-Specials... were related to, and possibly evolved from true RATS, particularly Rally-Rats, with old-bedstead and dexion racks and Army Surplus ammo-box panniers, often breaking the rule of deliberate designer distressing to demonstrate that Jazz concept you must know the rules before you break'em.... and start to think that effecting a style, chucking an old gas mask round the headlamp and some old hoover pipe randomly glued to the side panels is what 'makes' either a Survivel-special or RAT!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
My understanding was that a rat bike is one that''s weathered naturally through hard use and low budget maintenance using bodge fixes. A survival bike I thought was deliberately styled for the post apocalyptic mad max look.

This.

Most people, myself included, class mine as a rat, it's repaired with the cheapest possible fixes with no regard to looks. The single nod to looks was spraying it matt black with pioundlands finest rattle cans, as even I couldn't deal with the stock look. I'm now loathe to put a new exhaust on her as it'll look horribly out of place, and just patch the huge hole a bit more permanently this time.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3