Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

VisualStudio basic question...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:58 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: VisualStudio basic question... Reply with quote

Hola.

Creating a drop down box, very basic premise...

I want a user to select an option from the drop down box, which points to a batch file.

They then click the big connect button to connect, which runs said batch file.

Now, ideally i'd like the content of the drop down to come from a CSV as it may change from time to time, which means its going to have to pick up the path of that database too.

Does anyone know of a nice/dirty way to do this quickly. I need it in a decent layout, attached what I'm trying to achieve..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 13:11 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have a combo box with 2 values, one being the display text and the other (hidden) is the file path to the new database object which you keep in a separate table/CSV. so that table would be: -

Option : file path
1 : file path 1
2 : file path 2
3 : file path 3

Then have a function on the click event of the button which is based on the selection made in the combobox which says run [combobox].value in the variable of the statement.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:44 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would teach the user to open windows file explorer, go to the location of the batch files, then double click on the one they want to run.

Alternatively I'd use this.

https://i65.tinypic.com/29px5ld.png

30 ponds for removal of BCF branding.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:20 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I would teach the user to open windows file explorer, go to the location of the batch files, then double click on the one they want to run.

This is via VPN and is a share on the server itself which they'll have to type in. Bear in mind the people using this have 1 brain cell. Laughing

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

This is via VPN and is a share on the server itself which they'll have to type in. Bear in mind the people using this have 1 brain cell. Laughing

Does the application I made work? Works on my computer but dunno if it'll be fine on other machines.

You were a bit sparse on the info too, so dunno if it really does what's needed.

If there's a specific and permanent path for the CSV file I could bung that in for you. That way there'd be no need for the 'Select File' button on the application.

Also if you send and example of the CSV file to me I could have a look at what the data looks like, which would help with the logic for populating the dropdown list and running the files.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:16 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, being quite vague as its related to something I'm doing at work which relates to personal details. Not really a fan of exposing what I do Laughing

Unsure if it works here as this machine cannot download or extract files, I'll have to jump on a dev machine.

I'll give it a whirl and holla Thumbs Up

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Lord Percy wrote:

And that they devote 85% of its processing time in breathing.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it in access/excel, the reason being everyone that I've worked with that's wanted something like this is familiar and comfortable with excel.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:07 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_oso wrote:
I'd do it in access/excel, the reason being everyone that I've worked with that's wanted something like this is familiar and comfortable with excel.

Question

They wouldn't have Excel on their machines though, just a basic program to load a database and open their software. I think I've worked out roughly what I'd need to make this function. Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1