Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Charging a bike battery off a car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Charging a bike battery off a car? Reply with quote

I have a slight conundrum. The battery on my CBF is flat, and I have no easy means to charge from a mains supply. Its got some new-fangled fuel injection system, so it won't bump start if the battery is too discharged.

I used to charge spare car batteries in the footwell of my car, running jump leads out the door and under the bonnet. I'd have it unconnected for start up, then clip it on before I started driving. This was very convenient for me.

Will it work with a bike battery?

Another option is to jump start, but I'm doubtful it would recharge successfully just on idle, especially as I can't turn the lights off.

I could possibly charge from mains, but only for a very short time.

Last edited by Ted on 18:31 - 16 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:29 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it'll be fine. Thumbs Up

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just take the battery out and charge it indoors?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

Wife. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:57 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
kgm wrote:

Wife. Shocked

No smell, no stains, you're going to be fine. Thumbs Up

If it's the classic open desing, those do smell a bit when charging and expect bubbly noises with some electrolyte drain into the drainage tube (have it attached), but still not quite noticeable.

Also, don't leave a charging battery unsupervised. Definitely don't leave it overnight, while you're sleeping. Thumbs Up

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:02 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok jump start it and don't let it idle.

Or is that too obvious?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have very long at home to supervise a charging battery, I'm only there to eat and sleep. But it's not worth the agro anyway.

I can jump start it and hold the throttle on until I get bored, but that won't be long. Can't ride it.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:17 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you take out a big insurance policy on the wife and then fake a burglary-gone-wrong?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

^ best answer!

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:29 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can charge it from the cars fag lighter socket as long it doesn't suck more current than the circuits protective fuse is rated at.
dont do it un monitored tho'
The more better the battery the less fewer currents it will take

I once had a deisel transit that struggled on cold mornings and I used to top it up by connecting my CX to it for a while until I eventually coughed up for new battery.
Never did the CX any harm

Last edited by WD Forte on 20:35 - 16 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Also, don't leave a charging battery unsupervised. Definitely don't leave it overnight, while you're sleeping. Thumbs Up

I used to think this, but then I'd forget and I didn't burn the house down. Now I'll charge the iPad overnight under the bed and a lead-acid in the kitchen or garage.
When I moved to a house without power to the garage I knew I was going to have a problem keeping two bikes with alarms charged and ready to go, so I bought a jump start/ power pack from Halfords which has been excellent at running a battery charger now and again. Charge that back up in the kitchen and shove it back in the garage ready for next time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
You can charge it from the cars fag lighter socket as long it doesn't suck more current than the circuits protective fuse is rated at.

I trust the lighter socket for phones and stuff, but probably not a battery. It's a 24 year old car with snappy wires. Laughing

I have got some heavy cable to set a charge point up in the boot, to save driving around with jump leads dangling out the bonnet. Might see if I can find a couple of hours to rig it up.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike batteries only use a small amount of amps to charge how will you regulate it off a battery in a car that is running

Battery out and on charge for a few hours is only proper way
With a bike battery charger not a car as damage will fuck it up if its on for more then a quick boost

Spent seven years in a motor factors and one of my jobs was to check and charge batteries
I have a cert to say I received training for this so do know a bit about it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in a position to remove and charge for a few hours.

I have no clues on how to regulate it on a running car.

I am happy to hear any suggestions from those in the know, hence why I asked you guys. Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:04 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
Bike batteries only use a small amount of amps to charge how will you regulate it off a battery in a car that is running

With a bike battery charger not a car as damage will fuck it up if its on for more then a quick boost

Spent seven years in a motor factors and one of my jobs was to check and charge batteries

The battery won't draw any more than it needs, the same as the light bulb in your living room dpesn't explode off the potential 30 amps+ that comes through the wires to your house.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:44 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

The car's regulated charging voltage will only put a reasonable current into any 12V battery.

You should know that.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ted

When a battery fails on the CBF there is fuck all you can do, charging is a waste of time and electricity.

CBF500's suffer from sudden death battery syndrome plus CBF500's are very hard to bumpstart.. (unless you are 6FT 6)

The problem is that the battery is too small for the bike, my batteries in my 250's are larger than the CBF.

Before buying a CBF I was warned not to get one because of battery issues. And yes they were right.

As I despatch on a CBF I carry a power bank which can jumpstart a bike or car. It lives in my top box.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:50 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

It's a Paddy certificate?

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

How come the 50 amp alternator on my BMW doesn't melt the battery?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:57 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

When a battery fails on the CBF there is fuck all you can do, charging is a waste of time and electricity.

CBF500's suffer from sudden death battery syndrome plus CBF500's are very hard to bumpstart.. (unless you are 6FT 6)

I'm 6ft2, so 4 inches too short unfortunately.

I've bump started it twice, second time solo. But I think the battery is too flat now, being that these have fuel injectors apparently they don't bump from dead.

The issue is I've been starting the bike but not riding it, and this has flattened the battery. I don't think the battery is at fault itself.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:00 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
@Ted

The problem is that the battery is too small for the bike, my batteries in my 250's are larger than the CBF.

Before buying a CBF I was warned not to get one because of battery issues. And yes they were right.

As I despatch on a CBF I carry a power bank which can jumpstart a bike or car. It lives in my top box.

Sounds more like a fucked regulator frying the battery. A multimeter would help you identify the fact that it's producing excess volts.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:17 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

If you're talking a constant-amp not constant-voltage charger; then yes.
But there are hardly any of these around now and pretty much only cheap powerful ones for trucks.

A constant voltage high amps car charger on a bike battery might charge it a bit too quickly to start with - but a 'top up' will be fine.
It likely will still be slower than putting that same battery into a bike to charge by riding it.
For instance bump start a bike that has a 350w alternator with a dead battery and you're probably getting 25A charging if you don't have an otherwise high electrical loan.
So charging with a 20A car charger would be less bad than this.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
@Ted

Sounds more like a fucked regulator frying the battery. A multimeter would help you identify the fact that it's producing excess volts.

In this case no, it's common fault on the CBF500 and 600, I've heard so many stories from other couriers. Like I said in my post I was warned about the battery issue by many people.

Since Owning my CBF I've changed the battery twice, the first time was 2 years ago this month, the replacement lasted 18 months so if the regulator was buggered the battery would be dead in a month or so. The battery that's on now is six months old and is due to be REPLACED in March next year.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:28 - 16 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

Since Owning my CBF I've changed the battery twice, the first time was 2 years ago this month, the replacement lasted 18 months so if the regulator was buggered the battery would be dead in a month or so. The battery that's on now is six months old and is due to be REPLACED in March next year.

So it's not the battery at fault then, seeing as you keep replacing it?

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:35 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

So it's not the battery at fault then, seeing as you keep replacing it?

Like I said earlier, the battery on a CBF is too small, it can't really cope, Honda really screwed up..
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 133 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5