BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Charging a bike battery off a car?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:43 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason to avoid jump-starting a bike off a car, is that a car's alternator has an inbuilt regulator/rectifier and can deliver a lot of amps, at anything up to around 17.5v.

A Motorcycle generator usually has a separate regulator rectifier, and is designed to clip volts at approx 15v

If you connect a car alternator to a bike battery, in the bike, then the bikes charging system ca see the full 17v supplied by the car's alternator, and he Bike's Reg/Rect will then try and regulate that, back to 14v.... and die in the attempt!

Its a HONDA... with a the notorious Honda Regulator-Rectifier......

Personally I think that their reputation for fragility is grossly exaggerated, and that an awful lot of supposedly dead Honda Reg/Rects aren't an endemic weakness but crappy connectors and over loaded wires etc, but even so, they are NOT the toughest cookie in the tin.... is it worth the risk?

Far safer and often an awful lot easier to get crocodile clips onto diddy bike battery terminals, to remove battery from bike, and charge on the floor or in the footwell, off jump-leads, if you have to use a car to charge it... or take it indoors and do it off a mains supply where its warm.

BUT!!! Why is battery flat to start with? This is a symptom, not the disease.

Full-Time headlamps don't help; but most common cause of quck-flat batteies is often not the charging system, but the starter.

When a starter motor starts to get tired, the carbon brushes will have left a lot of carbon dust around the armature, this can alone make the circuit higher resistance than t should be, and try sucking more amps than it should, but shorting between contacts t can let other windings in the starter try drawing current too, to make magnet that is working against, rather than for, spinning starter, so starter gets slow, and tries drawing wapping current through the extra windings... that extra current over-loads thin braid straps to the brushes, making them higher resistance, so too possibly wires to the starter, all adding to the load put on the battery, with a solenoid possibly arcing along the way, also going high resistance as the area of contact actually in contact is reduced by pits or scorching on them, and you have the start of a vicious circle.

Bike battery is rated at what, maybe 12Ah. That's a nominal rating, that it can supply, or accept 12A for one hour; A starter motor s likely to draw something n the region of 90A, which s far in excess of the battery's nominal rating; it can tolerate it, only because the start up load is relatively brief, only a few seconds.... But as a starter system gets tired, so the button time tends to increase as its held longer till the motor catches.

Now, the 'Deep-Cycle-Discharge', can start to see the battery degrade much more rapidly, as the electrolyte is effectively 'boiled' by such high currents, begged for ever longer duration, and the vicious-circle accelerates...

Tired battery struggles to spin lazy starter, extended button time is used, starter not spinning so fast wears out more carbon brush, makes more dust, gets even lazier, battery starts to loose charge capacity, and is reluctant to spin starter so fast or so long, button time gets even longer, and so it goes on...

Battery is usually the first thing blamed and replaced. New battery holds more charge, spins lazy starter up better and faster, 'seems' like the problem has been fixed... only degraded starter system is just doing to the new battery what it did to the old, ad that too, starts to break down and loose charge capacity, rapidly....

A-N-D.. faced with another duff battery that seems to not hold charge, the charging system gets the blame.... Cos its a HONDA! And the regulator must be duff and have fried the new battery, mustn't it?

Meanwhile [add Sean-Bean accent!] "Wintah iz commin!"... weather is colder, electrolyte in battery is cold, oil is thicker, petrol less want to evaporate, engines are harder to start....

Autumn, sees leisure bikes layed up and stck on an optimate to hide the problem... every-day rider's start to suffer and the weather exacerbate underlying starter/battery 'problems'... and new batteries get demanded, and reg/recs blamed, as bike spends more time grnding through heavy traffic in the dark, not getting thrashed so often giving revs a chance to wack some extra charge back in the bank... and you have another vicious-circle on your hands!

To wit!

1/ for safety & convenience remove battery from bike to charge; either off jump-leads from a car, or on the bench off a battery charger. It's just easier and safer and saves answering silly questions later. (or buying expensive new regulators!)

2/ buggered battery syndrome; so often not cause of problem but symptom.

3/ Before blaming the charging system; elimnate the starting system!

Reconditioning a starter, as far as pulling it, cleaning the contractor plate, and if needs replacing the brushes is not all that hard or expensive. Brushes ae probably about a tenner. it of sand-paper and some grease, and probably less time to do than wait for attery to charge off a bench charger!

Solenoids are now often sealed for life and a more expensive possibly £25 replacement; (older ones especially on Hondas can be quite nice Frankensteins lab style heavy brass contacts that can be strpped and cleaned up with a file ad sand-paper).. but a good precaution.

Leads take moments to undo at the contacts, clean, re-attatch and water-proof with vaseline. But take tme to check earth paths; the starter earthing through its mounting, the earth braid between engine and frame, and the battery connections.

If you look at a car, the starter motor usually has its own earth strap on one of the mount bolts, that gives a direct high-amp earth often direct to the battery, rather than rely on more covoluted path through the engine block and the strap between the cylinder head and bulkhead.... such assertive earth return is no bad mod for a bike....

That lot sussed and eliminating possibilities, a new battery stands a chance of not dying an early death, and IF there's a charging problem, that being more easily identified.

Even if there is an underlying charging fault, starting will be a heck of a lot easier and battery life longer, and your chances of having to bench or jump a flattery a lot less, so its all 'good stuff'.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:40 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
The reason to avoid jump-starting a bike off a car, is that a car's alternator has an inbuilt regulator/rectifier and can deliver a lot of amps, at anything up to around 17.5v.

There might be some that can but typically they'll be delivering less than 15v to the battery.

Quote:
A Motorcycle generator usually has a separate regulator rectifier, and is designed to clip volts at approx 15v

If you connect a car alternator to a bike battery, in the bike, then the bikes charging system ca see the full 17v supplied by the car's alternator, and he Bike's Reg/Rect will then try and regulate that, back to 14v.... and die in the attempt!

Only on the oldest and shittest type. Modern switching type regulators don't dump DC to control the output, they curtail the AC cycle and if the bike's not running there's nothing to regulate. The worst that can happen is it's switching nothing at all on and off.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm struggling to quote small sections as I'm on a phone, but Mike are you saying the safest way WOULD be to charge the battery in the footwell of the car on the move?

My only real option on mains charging is grabbing a cheap bike maintenance charger, and parking the bike in the fire escape stairwell of a shared parking structure, where there is a plug socket.

Battery is flat due to starting the bike to move it / load into vans, but not riding it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not convinced a car alternator supplies at higher voltage, but it has more amps.
It's still a 12V system and if anything cars have more computery things that won't like out of range voltage.
If everything is charging normally it should be at 14.8V

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:55 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
a car's alternator can deliver a lot of amps, at anything up to around 17.5v.

Which car are we talking about that will shove nearly 17.5V into a system designed to work off of 12V?

Is it a 1960s Land Rover? I bet it's a 1960s Land Rover.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are overthinking it. Just charge it of whatever 12v charging source you have. Anything that charges a 12v battery at a 'normal' rate will be fine.

Anything's better than leaving it flat, nothing fucks a lead acid battery better than that.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:11 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I'm struggling to quote small sections as I'm on a phone, but Mike are you saying the safest way WOULD be to charge the battery in the footwell of the car on the move?

Err.. No you DONT have to shift whole bike into a stairwell.. TAKE THE BATTERY OFF THE BIKE! its a darn site easier to shift and stick some-where closer to a plug socket! Or in the footwell of a car!

Yes it is the 'safest' way about.

As to the regulation voltage of bikes vs cars, others have mentioned, yup, all dependent. Bloomin great 70+ Ah battery, though does do a lot to stabilize voltage if nothing else does, and there's often power-management boxes on accessory circuits, or local stabilizer circuits in any more sensitive cabin equipment.

Many folk regularly do jump-start bikes direct off a car, and don't suffer any dire consequences, but, what the heck; when its so often easier to undo a couple of screws and/or an elastic strap to take the battery out and not suffer the access issues trying to get even smaller battery charger terminal clips, let alone the usually huge car style crock-clips on the diddy termnals, why take the risk! Make life a little easier TAKE THE BATTERY OUT! Charge off the bike; no problems!

Whist 'out' you can also far more readily check the electrolyte level in the battery, and top up with distilled water if necessary.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:11 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, at the cost of a new battery... I'd do that rather than trust a Teflon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Ted wrote:

Err.. No you DONT have to shift whole bike into a stairwell.. TAKE THE BATTERY OFF THE BIKE! its a darn site easier to shift and stick some-where closer to a plug socket! Or in the footwell of a car!

I can't put just the battery and charger in the stairwell, as the chances are I'll return to find it missing.
If I put the bike in there, the charger might go missing or get unplugged, but the battery (still attached to the bike) is likely to still be there unless someone steals the whole bike.

Best options are:

A) Put the bike in a fire escape stairwell, charge on the mains,
B) Take the battery off, charge it from the alternator of a 1993 Astra 1.4 while driving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Mate, at the cost of a new battery... I'd do that rather than trust a Teflon.

Seems very wasteful when as far as I'm aware there is nothing wrong with the old battery, other than being discharged.

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too up-to-speed on why you can't buy a charger, remove the battery and then charge it?

If it's purely to jump start it, then yeah, jump from the car battery. A non-running car will jump a dead bike perfectly fine: Even a 1000cc V-Twin (Source; I've done it).

But to save all of this seemingly avoidable arse-ache: buy charger, charge battery, ride bike. Profit?

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I can't put just the battery and charger in the stairwell, as the chances are I'll return to find it missing.
So the reason you can't charge it in your flat is because of your wife, yes? Due to fire concerns? Put it in a fireproof box, lined with one of those fire blankets you should have in your kitchen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:58 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
So the reason you can't charge it in your flat is because of your wife, yes? Due to fire concerns? Put it in a fireproof box, lined with one of those fire blankets you should have in your kitchen?

Pretty sure you're not allowed to do that to your wife any more?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is the wife, yes. No fireproof blanket in there, but the landlords have given us free contents insurance for when the place falls/burns down.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:37 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just jump start it off the car, then go and ride it.

Pretty much any option will work with the exception of what ever Tef recommended.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:52 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps your Mrs to stop being a fag, my bike, in its entirety is in my living room. Fuel + battery still there, key in ignition. I occasionally sit on it and make noises.

A battery being on charge is going to be zero risk, less of a risk than turning a light switch on. Stop being a fanny Wink

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:56 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

A battery being on charge is going to be zero risk, less of a risk than turning a light switch on. Stop being a fanny Wink

In theory, the charging process will split a small proportion of the water in the battery into oxygen and hydrogen, which is a potentially explosive mix.

The contents of the tank are far more explosive....

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:39 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Monkey wrote:

Because that's far too obvious.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Northern Monkey wrote:

The answer is already written at least once in this thread. Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:19 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Northern Monkey wrote:

17.5 reasons, ya piece of crap troll.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:58 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ya piece of crap troll.

You fucking piece of shit.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:07 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:
ya piece of crap troll.

You fucking piece of shit.

Is this the start of a beautiful bromance?

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real solution to your problem is to either man up, or get yourselves to Relate.

That's at Ted, btw, not Roger and Ste... Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:46 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wub

Ya piece of crap.

Wub

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

In theory, the charging process will split a small proportion of the water in the battery into oxygen and hydrogen, which is a potentially explosive mix.

The contents of the tank are far more explosive....

You mean the charging process that also happens when the battery is surrounded by fuel, oil and rider @ 70mph?? Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5