Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

haroman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If it helps your Mrs to stop being a fag,

A battery being on charge is going to be zero risk, less of a risk than turning a light switch on. Stop being a fanny Wink

Could also mention that things like a trickle-charger's sole purpose is to charge a battery and leave it unattended.

Imagine that; "Sorry love, I'm hibernating in the garage with my bike over winter while the battery charges. Can't leave it unattended y'see."

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
The only real solution to your problem is to either man up, or get yourselves to Relate.

That's at Ted, btw, not Roger and Ste... Wink

You married?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:29 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold will fuck your dying battery right over. Take it off the bike. Charge it at work. If you're not going to ride the bike, leave the battery off the bike until you are.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
Charge it at work.

I considered this. But then I will owe a favour. Favours of this kind are never even.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
kgm wrote:
Why not just take the battery out and charge it indoors?

Wife. Shocked

Seriously....
You are that pussy whipped that you are not allowed charge a battery in the house?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just given up the fight, don't have the energy.

Probably wouldn't be so bad if we didn't live in a block of flats with numerous electrical issues.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:16 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In all honesty, Ted...

This thread is just full of bullshit excuses.

Charging a battery is not difficult.
Jump starting a bike is not difficult.
Bump starting a bike is not difficult.

The only thing that is proving to be difficult is the OP.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always difficult, but your points have already been covered several times.

I can go over them again though?

-bump start -battery is too discharged, bike has a fuel injection system and will not start if the battery is too drained

-jump start - I can jump and run it, but can't ride it, leaving on idle won't charge it sufficiently, especially as I can't turn the lights off

-charging - due to my present living situation, charging at home is difficult. It involves charging a battery inside a crappy flat with electrical issues, and would involve an argument with the wife that I can't be bothered to deal with.
Charging at work will probably mean I owe a favour like another extra long day with no pay.

Before I moved here I would have chucked it on charge in the garage...

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I forgot one, I could charge it (batt would have to stay on the bike) in a fire escape stairwell for 60 flats and a few shops...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:42 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you ride it?

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ticket. Presently doing the MoT repairs whenever I find time.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've hatched a slightly dodgy plan. I'm not going to go into details but basically I can back my car up to somewhere where there is a plug socket. So can have the battery in the car, charging off the mains with the cable coming out the boot to the socket.

So, more questions. I think I binned my old charger when I moved.

Do I buy a generic cheapy from somewhere like Argos, or am I best with one of these new fangled smart charge things like this?

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=328753&productId=1087793&storeId=10001

Budget is £30 before someone starts suggesting £150 chargers...

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd hand optimate.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:24 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
I've hatched a slightly dodgy plan. I'm not going to go into details but basically I can back my car up to somewhere where there is a plug socket. So can have the battery in the car, charging off the mains with the cable coming out the boot to the socket.

So, more questions. I think I binned my old charger when I moved.

Do I buy a generic cheapy from somewhere like Argos, or am I best with one of these new fangled smart charge things like this?

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=328753&productId=1087793&storeId=10001

Budget is £30 before someone starts suggesting £150 chargers...

It's not 'new fangled' but it'll do the job. I've been using a cheaper model for a good while with no problems.
Keep the receipt eh. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're south east ish aren't you? Borrow my optimate for a week or so if you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's new-fangled for someone old-tech like me!

Yeah I'm near Stansted Airport arry, thanks for the offer, but I don't mind buying something. Just don't want to throw too much money at one. If I had a garage with power I'd buy a decent one.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. You are probably only half hour from me in good traffic and you're welcome to leave the battery here and pick it up later when optimate has done its thing.

The Oxford jobby isn't great TBH.

Have a search for CTEK on here - was thread a week or so ago with best buys on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

one question for op

does your missus go through this when she needs to charge her phone battery

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. But women don't use logic...

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
You married?

Married? No. Been in a 25 year relationship and brought up two wonderful kids, yes. One thing that took me too long to learn, is that sometimes you need to put your foot down.

Look, love. There's no practical way is charging my battery other than bringing it in and charge overnight. It's not dangerous, no more dangerous than you charging your phone, and it's only once overnight. Sorry, but that's how it is.

If you don't want to argue about it, don't. Plug it in and get on with it and let her moan about it if she wants to.

Result, a charged battery and a wife that knows next time you decide to do something, you're not going to take any crap about it so there's no point in arguing with you.

Note: Any relationship advice given by MrHammers that results in divorce, violence and/or lack of conjugal rights cannot held responsible in a court of law.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:46 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mind boggles at the illogic going into this.

Of options offered you seemed reluctant to take battery off bike to charge anywhere... now you are happy to take it off the bike, to put it in the car, to back the car into the stair well, you didn't want to pt bike i, to charge off the mains.. rather than off the car?!?!?!?!?!

Am I missing something here?

I have a pretty beefy mains battery charger, it wacks out 20A.

The fag-lighter socket on my car has a 30A fuse.... Hmmmmmm

If bike battery put in car, why NOT just attatch a couple of crock clips to a old fag-lighter accessory wre, put the damg thing on that, i the footwell, and let the sodding thing charge, anywhere! Whlst drivig, in the parking bay, at Mc Dnalds, at work.. you can still park it n the stair-well if it makes you happy I suppose, but, saves buyng a opti-wait never-charger and stringng an extension cable!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I'm happy to take it off the bike, that's never been a problem. My initial plan was to take it off the bike and charge from the cars alternator while driving. This idea seemed unfavoured by a few people on here. Insisting I'm best charging from the mains.

In most situations that's not an issue, but as the only plug socket I could get to was in a stairwell, if I left the battery and a charger in there it would go missing. Therefore to charge from the mains I'd have to leave it on the bike, and risk just the charger getting taken. This has been the only scenario where the battery has to stay on the bike.

Mr Hammer, marriage is different, everything goes south. Maybe it's just my experience of it, but in any case I do whatever I can to avoid any arguments, and I'm hardly at home as well. Some might say I've given up.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:29 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Ted wrote:
You married?

Married? No. Been in a 25 year relationship and brought up two wonderful kids, yes. One thing that took me too long to learn, is that sometimes you need to put your foot down.

Look, love. There's no practical way is charging my battery other than bringing it in and charge overnight. It's not dangerous, no more dangerous than you charging your phone, and it's only once overnight. Sorry, but that's how it is.

If you don't want to argue about it, don't. Plug it in and get on with it and let her moan about it if she wants to.

Result, a charged battery and a wife that knows next time you decide to do something, you're not going to take any crap about it so there's no point in arguing with you.

Note: Any relationship advice given by MrHammers that results in divorce, violence and/or lack of conjugal rights cannot held responsible in a court of law.

This x millions. Like kids, women need boundaries or they will run roughshod all over you.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:48 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rubs both ways...as it should.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:19 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus H fucking Christ, is this still going on?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5