PostPosted: 16:05 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
It rubs both ways...as it should.

Oooh matron!

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Jesus H fucking Christ, is this still going on?

Yeah, but it's turning into a marriage counseling session, only with advice being given without knowing any circumstances! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:20 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting for a mod to drop this in F&F Ws for Assault on Battery. Embarassed

You cannot charge the battery from the cigarette lighter socket as it is only 12v.

The battery get a charging voltage from the alternator 14v-15v.

It will keep taking power from the alternator until it reaches 13volts.
The alternator will not supply any more volts or amps after that until the voltage in the battery drops again.

If you charge from the cigarette lighter you will not get 13 volts in the battery you will only get the regulated 12v from the vehicle system.

To charge from the car's batter connect the bike battery in parallel from the battery posts.

Positive to positive
Negative to negative
The alternator will pump in voltage to both batteries until they are both at 13 volts
There is some risk that the less robust construction of the motorcycle battery may be damaged by power surges in the vehicle's charging circuit so if you are determined to Bodge it do not be dismayed if it shite its sel;. Smile

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

To charge from the car's battery connect the bike battery in parallel from the battery posts.

That was my plan. That's how I've always charged spare car batteries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Yeah, but it's turning into a marriage counseling session, only with advice being given without knowing any circumstances! Rolling Eyes

I don't know your kitchen layout, or what flavour smoothies you like, but i could still quite rightly recommend that you don't shove your fingers in a blender. Wink

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't, I don't have a blender. So that advice would be redundant.

Wink

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:44 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I was waiting for a mod to drop this in F&F Ws for Assault on Battery. Embarassed

You cannot charge the battery from the cigarette lighter socket as it is only 12v.

The battery get a charging voltage from the alternator 14v-15v.

It will keep taking power from the alternator until it reaches 13volts.
The alternator will not supply any more volts or amps after that until the voltage in the battery drops again.

If you charge from the cigarette lighter you will not get 13 volts in the battery you will only get the regulated 12v from the vehicle system.

When did they start connecting the fag lighter to a stabilised 12 V supply, rather than the vehicle's 12-14 and a bit "normal live" and why?

Or are you just making that up?

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Why can't you ride it?

Same reason he can't satisfy her.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:47 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:

-charging - due to my present living situation, charging at home is difficult. It involves charging a battery inside a crappy flat with electrical issues

I would bet a grand that you already have something more "dodgy" plugged into your electrical supply than a low draw battery charger.

Phone chargers are a low draw but are made using the cheapest parts possible and are more prone to failure than any half decent battery charger.
That there central heating and hot water is a heavy draw item, still got that connected?

But hey, what ever floats your attention seeking boat.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:

But hey, what ever floats your attention seeking boat.

I was never seeking attention. Only an answer to what I thought was a straightforward question.

But nevermind, I've learnt my lesson; should have just charged it the way I do car batteries, and not asked for advice.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triton Thrasher wrote:
Ste wrote:
Why can't you ride it?

Same reason he can't satisfy her.

You mean I'm supposed to have that MoT'd too? Bugger...

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:12 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've had straight forward answers to your straight forward question.

Have you jump started the bike or charged the battery yet? Laughing

This is all really quite simple... you jump start the bike or you take the battery out and hook it up to a charger.

Gagged

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You missed the charging off the car option there. Or was that intentional?

Not even looked at the bike since. Wouldn't even know if it's still there! Laughing

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how do you shut the bonnet of the car when driving about with two massive jump leads sticking out of it Confused Confused

I know you can have window open to get them back into the car but I'm sure driving about with the bonnet unclasped is dodgierr then putting a battery on charge inside a flat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the perfect excuse to explain to the wife why you now need a new bike.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
so how do you shut the bonnet of the car when driving about with two massive jump leads sticking out of it

Between the rear edge and the plastic trim, over the rubber seal.
Bonnet shuts properly.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple solution
Take bike battery into local independent bike mechanic ask him to chuck it on charge
Most I've known will do it cheap or for the price of a pack of chocolate hobnobs

Job done
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:20 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just ride without an MOT.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Or just ride without an MOT.

Sounds like a plan. I might save myself some cash and cancel my insurance too.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:23 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can ride without an MOT you know... just book an MOT far away and don't turn up.

That said, its only a fine, no points n shit.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:14 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got stopped (in the car) for no MOT a while back. Got given a produce in 14 days form. Took car for mot, took mot to cop shop. No fine. No drama

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too bothered about riding it to get it somewhere, but not really got the time to be riding it around just to charge the battery.

I'm not even sure I've got the time to own a bike unfortunately.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP find his balls yet?

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:37 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can ride without an MOT you know... just book an MOT far away and don't turn up.

Methinks the rules state "the nearest MOT station" or words to that effect. I once forgot about the MOT being due the day before my hols, still went touring Scotland for five days, no MOT, Tax or Insurance for that matter! Couldn't give a monkeys about it either... Changed times indeed.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 112 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5