Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Odd Clutch Lever Issue

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:40 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Odd Clutch Lever Issue Reply with quote

Bit of a weird one this, so bear with me.

Got home last night from the commute and everything was fine. Three hours later, got on the bike to head off somewhere and stalled twice on setting off. Basically, the bite point on the clutch lever had changed so that it was biting really early on release.

The bike has just had it's third service from Honda and has been running beautifully up to now. The clutch used to disengage really early into pulling the lever in if that makes sense, but now I have to pull it all the way to the bars, and it then engages the clutch when released a few mm's.

Needless to say I am now shifting and setting off like someone on day one of their geared CBT.

I can't seem to adjust the clutch at the top adjuster by the lever and I don't know what I am doing at the bottom end where there is a 10mm or so hex nut above where the cable runs to the engine housing.

Questions:

1) Is there any reason the clutch should or could have moved from leaving the bike for a few hours?

2) If some pikey kids had tried to snap the steering lock at some point (possible in my area), would the pulling on the handlebars have upset the clutch reach? There is no evidence of this, but the left handlebar also feels a bit out of position - for all I can see it isn't, and I think maybe related to the new clutch position.

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:49 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting at the gearbox end is easy enough mate - wind the lever adjuster in a bit first, then adjust by undoing the lock nut at the pivot and winding the adjuster through into body of the arm to effectively pull the cable and take up any slack. Then do up the lock nut and fine tune it again at the lever.

It can happen that way, ie quick to just change in feel, but I would check the cable is moving freely as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:02 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cables can stretch. Clutches can alter in feel as they get hotter and colder as the plates and sometimes the pushrod expand and contract. Usually the bit point moves closer to the bars as they heat up though. After slipping the clutch a lot in traffic, it can get so hot it wont disengage fully at all (this is your cue to stop and let it cool down)

A sudden increase in clutch lever play can also indicate a cable starting to snap or unravel. Usually quickly followed by an increase in stiffness.

But new bike, probably just the cable stretching a bit.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:04 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable might have become frayed inside the sheath. End result is exactly as you describe. Change the cable to see if this makes any difference.

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:10 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all. Strange thing is that this has happened literally two weeks after being in with a main Honda dealer for a £500 service. They must have checked the clutch cable surely!?

So, the consensus is that it couldn't have been someone trying to snap the steering lock at least in the three hours that I wasn't with the bike?

I parked her up with everything feeling great. I got back on three hours later with it feeling horrible and the clutch massively altered in feel. I could get that this is a cable fraying but there has been no notice, it has just gone.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:52 - 17 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Chris says is accurate, but I suspect that someone has been messing with the cable adjustment.

With a frayed cable, it'll constantly need adjustment until it snaps. If you adjust the cable slack till it's right and then it doesn't adjustiung again for a few days (at least) the cable is fine.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:57 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:

So, the consensus is that it couldn't have been someone trying to snap the steering lock at least in the three hours that I wasn't with the bike?.

It's unlikely.

Shouldn't take you more than ten minutes to do a bit of adjustment and how to do it will be in the owners manual mate. Try that and see how you get on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:52 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
Thanks for the replies all. Strange thing is that this has happened literally two weeks after being in with a main Honda dealer for a £500 service. They must have checked the clutch cable surely!?

I very much doubt it. They might have had a quick feel of the lever for excessive play but if they did anything more than change the oil and filters at your service, I'd be surprised.

I'm often accused of being unduly cynical but my only experience with dealer servicing at £350 a pop was doing it myself after the warrantly was up to find the tappet inspection covers had never been removed, the sparkplugs were corroded in place, the air filter was manky, the fork oil was stinking and emulsified and the coolant was almost transparent.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with that. Got rushed for 800 notes at the KTM dealer last time out and the bike came back with sticky pistons pushing the pads they'd just changed. If it's not worth the service stamp then it's not worth main dealer servicing imo.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:34 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with above. The only reason to take to a dealer for servicing is the warranty. Once it's out of that time, get a Haynes and learn to do the basics yourself.

Clutch adjustment is easy. When you have done it once you will wonder what you were worried about.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:29 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mate had a good one. He has a ZXR1200, bought from new. It's always been serviced by a motorbike shop of one sort or another because he's mechanically inept but he does put it in for servicing exactly when he's supposed to.

Was out with him the other day. He jumped on the bike, pulled in the clutch and knocked it into gear. The bike promptly jumped forwards about 3 feet throwing him backwards, then shuddered to a halt throwing him forwards and off with the bike on top of him.

No clutch pressure at all. Hydraulic clutch though. I took the lid off the master cylinder to find 1/8" of grey goo in the bottom of it. I don't think it's ever been checked, changed or topped up from the day the bike was new. It physically ran dry. It did set me wondering how many seperate mechanics have had that bike pass through their hands and failed to look at/service/replace the hydraulic fluid. I wonder how many of the last few would have been able to notice it was low if they'd simply looked through the sight glass?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was someone local round here to service my bikes that would just do an honest job.

Chris45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:35 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish there was someone local round here to service my bikes that would just do an honest job.

Reckon its the same for cars though... My Focus used to go in for it's once yearly under warranty. Next day I checked under the bonnet and here's the puzzling bit - mechanic claims to have drained the oil and topped up with fresh except the oil cap was untouched, covered in dust. So I checked the dipstick - it was at the Min level and the oil was filthy. The oil filter HAD been changed though. £200 to you sir. A quick drive down to said well known Ford franchise in Inverness and a massive argument with the so-called service Manager resulted in the police being called by the manager. Was told to take it up with Trading standards but in the meantime fuck off pal your custom is no longer welcome here. Since then (10 years ago) I've always bought a three year old car - just off warranty - and serviced it myself. I'll never, ever trust a so-called reputable dealer/garage again.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1