Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good 125s for learning on under 200 quid?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 01:57 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Good 125s for learning on under 200 quid? Reply with quote

Anyone got any suggestions for a good 125 for under 200 quid - got CBT coming up and need a bike after.

EDIT: 2000 not 200

Last edited by tentativebiker on 11:04 - 18 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:01 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

For £200 you'll get a bike that's in need of quite a bit of work.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:11 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus you need to budget £83.99 for your Rainpal®.

I pity you the Teffing that you're about to receive, but I have to pre-emptively agree with the lucid parts of it.

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:28 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to at least triple your budget for anything semi-roadworthy.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:47 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
For £200 you'll get a bike that's in need of quite a bit of work fun in the garage.

FTFY

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT is good for 2 years, which means you'd have to take another before you were actually able to use a £200 125, after all the repairs.

IMO >125 bikes can be had for peanuts (if you are lucky), they can be massaged into life more often than not. 125's by their very nature are seriously used and abused, therefore if they are around that figure it will cost a whole heap more. As above, triple budget and then some ...

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:01 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Jesus, there was a 0 missing off the post, I'm meant a maximum 2000 all in (including tax, m.o.t and insurance). I look like a right idiot don't I. Embarassed I might not want to spend the earth on it but I do want it to at least get me out the driveway.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a bit more realistic. I assume you've already budgeted for or got riding gear then?

If you are over 19, I'd consider if a 125 really is the best route for you as you can get more for your money in a bigger bike (and, surprisingly, possibly pay less insurance too), which could compensate for the test costs.

Otherwise, a standard (not R or custom) Yamaha YBR is a good starting point, that you'll be unlikely to lose money on when you punt it on to get a bigger bike. Anything from the big Japanese manufacturers will do the job though, do a local search on what is available and buy on condition.

Avoid Chinese unless you like tinkering with mechanical bits.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:27 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
That's a bit more realistic. I assume you've already budgeted for or got riding gear then?

If you are over 19, I'd consider if a 125 really is the best route for you as you can get more for your money in a bigger bike (and, surprisingly, possibly pay less insurance too), which could compensate for the test costs.

Otherwise, a standard (not R or custom) Yamaha YBR is a good starting point, that you'll be unlikely to lose money on when you punt it on to get a bigger bike. Anything from the big Japanese manufacturers will do the job though, do a local search on what is available and buy on condition.

Avoid Chinese unless you like tinkering with mechanical bits.

Chose a 125 so I only need to take one test, as the CBT would tide me over to turning 24 pretty much. Not to mention I'm petrified of crashing the thing and would rather do that on a cheaper 125 than a valuable big bike.

And yep - gear is separately budget for.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:44 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a halfway decent Honda varadero (XL125) for that if you shop around. They are a fairly substantial motorcycle.

I've had into double figures of motorbikes and have only paid over £1600 once.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:13 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
Oh Jesus, there was a 0 missing off the post, I'm meant a maximum 2000 all in

It's too late. You've sown the wind, now you will reap the whirlTefwind.

Perfectly reasonable strategy. A used YBR125 with at least a year to go until it needs an MOT is the default choice. Not thrilling, but loads of them around at decent prices, and few surprises.

I'd avoid the Honda CBF125, or anything Chinese branded unless you can get it very cheap and feel lucky.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a vote for YBR here but with your budget a VanVan is a possibility. They're expensive to buy because hipster but they hold their value because hipster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:33 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
(including tax, m.o.t and insurance).

There's the nigglie in the wood-pile.
Your 21, dont have a licence, or NCB, do NOT expect that one to be 'cheap', it's like as not going to be as much or more than a bike.

Next door neighbor's lad, just got all exited about turning 18, after having a Lexmoto in the shed for six months he could't insure, 'cos he didn't discover until after he'd got bike, that the 'monthly - payement' quotes he'd got on his smurfone, were completely useless, he wasn't old enough for the credit agreement they actually are!

Bike, 2 year old Lexmoto, valued at aprox £700.
Insurance... Third-Party only - £1600... £200 a month... yes... 25% 'interest' on the credit!

Guess what happened last week?

Yes the thing got nicked....

And we had an 18 year old going barmy on a Smurfone, when he got a message to tell him that the diect debit for his insurance installement had just 'bounced', and how was he going to pay the remaining 9 installements.... for the bike he no longer had... that he could't claim anything for off the insurance cos TPO....

He WAS warned, but insisted that only going TPO and buying the policy on the knock, was SUCH a 'smart' thing to do..... one lesson learned the very hard and expensive way......

Good news is he got the wreckage back, after paying the local plod recovery co, £200 money with menaces to get it.... and after he has paid back his gran for that, and saved up for a new lock set and side panels, battery and headlamp etc... whilst STILL paying the monthlies on the insurance for a bike he cant ride.... (cos penalty charges for cancelling are more than the remainig monthlies!) he MIGHT, just MIGHT be able to get it MOT'd just about the time the insurance renewal comes in....

There in lies a moral... or three.

1/ DON'T do the oh-so common thing of de-prioritizing the insurance to buy a 'better' bike. Budget for that up-front; you don't 'save' paying credit charges!

2/ Pay careful heed of the level of cover you go for. You may seem to get big savings taking huge voluntary XS's or going for TPO rather than TPF&T cover, but, that short term saving could see large long term loss, IF the incredibly likely that bikes smashed or stolen does happen. Either way, you will likely end up the one paying, one way or another.

3/ Note that for a younger rider, the price of insurance even a low value 125 can be more than the cost of the bike.

SO!

If you have to get it all i for £2K start with the insurance quotes, see what you can atually insure for less than that and then how much you have left for a bike!

Bench-Mark 125 is a Yamaha YBR 125. Overall they represent the best all round value for money, most often, and something around 3-4 years with a fresh MOT probably represents an optimum, but likely to cost you around £1500, which wont leave you much to get insurance on it, paid upfront but depending on your age, post code, and what the broker had for dinner, its probably not beyond reason its do-able.

Just, just for academic interest, go get some quotes for a course, then some for a £500 Kawasaki ER5 or the like. Likely that insurance on smething like that will actually be cheaper than for a 125, as well as the bike be an awful lot cheaper! THEN consider that you will have to repeat your CBT for around £150 before you can do the DAS for the RWYL licence.... but do that up front for an A2 licence, you get the chance at the higher performnce, lower cost A2 bke for the tme youd be wallyng about on L's on a 125, and for LESS money than the repeat CBT rock up to test, self booked, on your 'de-restricted' A2 bike, do what you already done once on it, and ride away with the licence yu really want, all i probably for less money, likely less time and hassle, and not had to suffer the 125 in-between times.... just a thuk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:45 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a fuel injected (late 07 on) Varadero... Grab that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 13:58 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:
(including tax, m.o.t and insurance).

There's the nigglie in the wood-pile.
Your 21, dont have a licence, or NCB, do NOT expect that one to be 'cheap', it's like as not going to be as much or more than a bike.

Next door neighbor's lad, just got all exited about turning 18, after having a Lexmoto in the shed for six months he could't insure, 'cos he didn't discover until after he'd got bike, that the 'monthly - payement' quotes he'd got on his smurfone, were completely useless, he wasn't old enough for the credit agreement they actually are!

Bike, 2 year old Lexmoto, valued at aprox £700.
Insurance... Third-Party only - £1600... £200 a month... yes... 25% 'interest' on the credit!

Guess what happened last week?

Yes the thing got nicked....

And we had an 18 year old going barmy on a Smurfone, when he got a message to tell him that the diect debit for his insurance installement had just 'bounced', and how was he going to pay the remaining 9 installements.... for the bike he no longer had... that he could't claim anything for off the insurance cos TPO....

He WAS warned, but insisted that only going TPO and buying the policy on the knock, was SUCH a 'smart' thing to do..... one lesson learned the very hard and expensive way......

Good news is he got the wreckage back, after paying the local plod recovery co, £200 money with menaces to get it.... and after he has paid back his gran for that, and saved up for a new lock set and side panels, battery and headlamp etc... whilst STILL paying the monthlies on the insurance for a bike he cant ride.... (cos penalty charges for cancelling are more than the remainig monthlies!) he MIGHT, just MIGHT be able to get it MOT'd just about the time the insurance renewal comes in....

There in lies a moral... or three.

1/ DON'T do the oh-so common thing of de-prioritizing the insurance to buy a 'better' bike. Budget for that up-front; you don't 'save' paying credit charges!

2/ Pay careful heed of the level of cover you go for. You may seem to get big savings taking huge voluntary XS's or going for TPO rather than TPF&T cover, but, that short term saving could see large long term loss, IF the incredibly likely that bikes smashed or stolen does happen. Either way, you will likely end up the one paying, one way or another.

3/ Note that for a younger rider, the price of insurance even a low value 125 can be more than the cost of the bike.

SO!

If you have to get it all i for £2K start with the insurance quotes, see what you can atually insure for less than that and then how much you have left for a bike!

Bench-Mark 125 is a Yamaha YBR 125. Overall they represent the best all round value for money, most often, and something around 3-4 years with a fresh MOT probably represents an optimum, but likely to cost you around £1500, which wont leave you much to get insurance on it, paid upfront but depending on your age, post code, and what the broker had for dinner, its probably not beyond reason its do-able.

Just, just for academic interest, go get some quotes for a course, then some for a £500 Kawasaki ER5 or the like. Likely that insurance on smething like that will actually be cheaper than for a 125, as well as the bike be an awful lot cheaper! THEN consider that you will have to repeat your CBT for around £150 before you can do the DAS for the RWYL licence.... but do that up front for an A2 licence, you get the chance at the higher performnce, lower cost A2 bke for the tme youd be wallyng about on L's on a 125, and for LESS money than the repeat CBT rock up to test, self booked, on your 'de-restricted' A2 bike, do what you already done once on it, and ride away with the licence yu really want, all i probably for less money, likely less time and hassle, and not had to suffer the 125 in-between times.... just a thuk.

I know you old farts like to thing that us young'uns are completely bloody useless, but do you not think, Mike, that insurance quote running might have been the first thing I did when browsing through wrecks on Gumtree and decent stuff on AutoTrader for deciding if it was even remotely plausible I could afford the bike any way before booking a CBT costing several days of my hard earned cash? We weren't all asleep in maths class post-millenium. YBR's are out as my horrible postcode makes them uninsurable, have managed to get TPF&T (minimum cover I'm going for, as you rightly point out I'd like to get cover if it's nicked) for between 600-900 on some slightly cheaper bikes that seem okay. Might be the way forward. Regards you're last point, it's primarily a stop gap - no guarantee I need to get the full license ever. I did as you said and ramped up some quotes for ER5's - given the fact I'd need do the course and tests for a full licence, and then do it again in a few years anyway - accounting for refresher lessons - the difference between that and the cost of a 125 aren't that different, in fact it's more expensive to buy the ER5 than a 500 quid lexmoto I can insure for 600. I find interest you feel empowered to have decided for me that I really want a full license - quite simply I want a mode of transport that I can rely on and won't turn up two hours late and I can actually enjoy to tide me over to when I can afford a car (when I move out of my current area most likely)

Last edited by tentativebiker on 14:12 - 18 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:

Your 21.

His 21 what? Should he have greater of fewer of them?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:16 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:

Your 21.

His 21 what? Should he have greater of fewer of them?

Maybe it was a code for the number of useful and necessary words in his post. Your 21 words this time, having a browse through some other forum threads that code might not be such a bad idea for that user.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
quite simply I want a mode of transport that I can rely on and won't turn up two hours late and I can actually enjoy to tide me over to when I can afford a car (when I move out of my current area most likely)

Fair enough. Not everyone rides for the fun of it. What I would suggest though, is that when you are out on your CBT on the road, you'll probably do some fairly open and fast roads as well as the jiggly roundabout type stuff. When you are doing that and comfortably cruising along on a fast road, try opening the throttle fully and think about how you'll feel with that performance once you're comfortable with the rest of the bike operation.

Some people are fine with it, others decide after a couple of months that they really need something more powerful and go through a very expensive exercise of selling a bike and having to reinsure a bigger one (not all bike insurers will let you move 125 insurance to a big bike).

If you are tempted by Chinese, then go in with eyes open, willing to get out the tool kit, and accepting that it'll be worth almost nothing when you come to sell. Bear in mind that the first owner bought it because it was cheap (and possibly a stopgap), so is less likely to have bothered looking after it. Subsequent owners even less so.
There's no reason a Chinese bike can't be daily transport, you just need to keep on top of maintaining it. I'd also be more tempted to get something like Lexmoto or Sinnis than an smaller brand as you'll have fewer issues finding parts or other owners who can give advice when needed.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:49 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Untwist your knickers kid; you said you only wanted to do one test... CBT ISN'T a test.... its the first lesson..... validates your provisional entitlement, no more.... but comment implies that taking a test is on the cards, when you are 24.....
tentativebiker wrote:
Not to mention I'm petrified of crashing the thing and would rather do that on a cheaper 125 than a valuable big bike..

If you are petrified of crashing, then why on earth would you want to try and dodge getting properly trained NOT to crash, doing the full training to test standard?

Surely makes far more sense to do the full course, beyond the first lesson, get some learning and know how, build confidence and do all you can to dodge falling off rather than dodging tests!?

Personally I'd rather not crash... end of... no matter what size the bike, or how valuable! It hurts.. and it costs...

While the value of a bike is utterly unconnected to its engine displacement, where Learner-Legals just because they may be ridden without any significant training or qualification, tend to cost more, relatively, not less, on the 2nd hand market, regardless of the price put on them in the showroom when new.

I suppose that 125's do tend to be a tad lighter and easier to pull out of hedges, but, believe me, and I have plenty of experience of it, falling off hurts! And trying to put my 75Kg trials bike rubber side down after I have dumped it, and am rather bruised and aching, is not an awful lot easier than trying to right my 200Kg 750 , or the 125Kg 125, when the side stand has found the hole in the patio!

However, I stand by advice. See what you can afford to insure, then how much you have left for a bike. That's the likely deciding factor. And if a YBR is too expensive to insure, in your post code, I doubt very much is likely to come in any more reasonable, and even MORE reason to let the insurance quotes steer the choice of bike... especially in a seller's market where its likely Hobson's choice of whats actually for sale in budget to begin with.

Meanwhile your own suggestion that the cost-to-road of an A2 bike with the full training course, being much the same as a learner legal without, I would have thought should give you a clue why I suggested it!

But, end of the day, its your arse, your money your choice.... advice is offered, heed it or not.

But if you already have all the answers, why ask the question?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:19 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really hurts to say this but I agree with both of Teffers posts!

You're going to want some good security to help reduce the chances of the bike going walkabout.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:26 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Teflon-Mike"]Untwist your knickers kid; you said you only wanted to do one test... CBT ISN'T a test.... quote]

tef if you read the posts he makes you would have read this bit

Chose a 125 so I only need to take one test, as the CBT would tide me over to turning 24 pretty much.

so after the two years he could do a full A licence rather then do a2 then have to do it all again so doing one test

nowhere did he mention the cbt being a test Shocked Shocked

or have you not got a essay typed out for this scenario so that one fitted some of the answers

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:27 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
It really hurts to say this but I agree with both of Teffers posts!

You're going to want some good security to help reduce the chances of the bike going walkabout.

Right, let's boil down to this.

The UK Speed limit is 70mph

Honda NSR125 can do 80mph
Yamaha YBR125 can do 70mph
Honda Varadero can do 75mph

Why do I need any more than that? I'm not intending on breaking the law. If I get a lower powered bike I'll just stay on 60 roads. Surely the only reason any of you want a bigger bike is due to your desire to speed like morons past stationery traffic, you could all happily commute on a 125. Maybe the police should just track people back from their A2 or A licence tests to get easy speeding fines. No other reason to take them when 125s can do the speed limits.

And regards the only take one test shit; mentioned above, if I needed to, which I probably won't, I'll do my A test when I turn 24 given I'd probably need lessons before both of them - which is where it actually starts to become far more expensive to buy a ER5 like you suggested; and the road cost was based on the bikes alone; it becomes stupidly more expensive when you factor in a grand or so for training purposes and tests being booked. You'll probably say a grand is worth the cost for safety, I disagree.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:35 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a full licence rather than just wobbling around on L plates then you're less likely to end up deaded.

Insurance for 125 bikes is expensive so once you've got a full license, you should be able to insure a bigger bike for the sane price or cheaper.

Big bikes are easier to ride. Of course you're never going to break any speed limits but if you have a bigger bike then when you want the bike to accelerate then it'll happen immediately which is better than what a 125 will do.

Another option is to get your full license and then get a 125 anyway.
tentativebike... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:44 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to have to pay to get your full license at some point and there's no benefit from putting it off.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3