Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good 125s for learning on under 200 quid?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent instructor should be teaching you more than wobbling around a car park. Things like reading the road, proper positioning for safety and visibility (both your own and other users seeing you), lots of skills and things that are pretty obvious when someone points them out to you, but hard to learn otherwise.

Also, 70mph is a bit optimistic on many 125s. Maybe they'll get there, as long as you aren't too heavy and aren't climbing a hill or riding into a headwind. In the meantime, you'll be one of the slowest accelerating things on the road, so the audiwanker will be right up your arse intimidating you, or doing a sketchy overtake to avoid being held up by you. You won't have the power to accelerate around slow moving vehicle safely, so will end up sitting behind them. Once you do get to 70mph, you are at the design limit of the bike so things like brakes and suspension are at their limits.

That's not to say that they aren't a viable mode of transport, just that it is rather simplistic to say they can reach 70mph so anything more is not needed. Certainly I don't ride a big bike because I have a "desire to speed like morons past stationery traffic". That would be easier on a 125 as they are smaller.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:51 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
A decent instructor should be teaching you more than wobbling around a car park. Things like reading the road, proper positioning for safety and visibility (both your own and other users seeing you), lots of skills and things that are pretty obvious when someone points them out to you, but hard to learn otherwise.

Also, 70mph is a bit optimistic on many 125s. Maybe they'll get there, as long as you aren't too heavy and aren't climbing a hill or riding into a headwind. In the meantime, you'll be one of the slowest accelerating things on the road, so the audiwanker will be right up your arse intimidating you, or doing a sketchy overtake to avoid being held up by you. You won't have the power to accelerate around slow moving vehicle safely, so will end up sitting behind them. Once you do get to 70mph, you are at the design limit of the bike so things like brakes and suspension are at their limits.

That's not to say that they aren't a viable mode of transport, just that it is rather simplistic to say they can reach 70mph so anything more is not needed. Certainly I don't ride a big bike because I have a "desire to speed like morons past stationery traffic". That would be easier on a 125 as they are smaller.

If not to ride like a moron past stationary traffic why bother having a fast bike then? Just use a 125, as I've pointed out several times it's better than faster bikes for commuting, and it does every speed limit. Only nambies who want an easy ride ride 126s or above.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:53 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
Just use a 125, as I've pointed out several times it's better than faster bikes for commuting, and it does every speed limit. Only nambies who want an easy ride ride 126s or above.

How do you figure that a 125 is faster than a big bike for commuting?

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

If not to ride like a moron past stationary traffic why bother having a fast bike then? Just use a 125, as I've pointed out several times it's better than faster bikes for commuting, and it does every speed limit. Only nambies who want an easy ride ride 126s or above.

Because a 125 at national speed limit is right on the boundaries of it's performance and design. Many 125s will not genuinely hit the speed limit in the real world - and that's before you add luggage.

What part of my above post did you not understand? By all means get yourself a 125 and find this out for yourself. If you know everything there is to know, why bother asking for advice from those who actually do this?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:00 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:
Just use a 125, as I've pointed out several times it's better than faster bikes for commuting, and it does every speed limit. Only nambies who want an easy ride ride 126s or above.

How do you figure that a 125 is faster than a big bike for commuting?

Because it can actually fit through the gaps, good look get your 600cc through a tiny gap in 5mph crawling traffic down a one way street, meanwhile I can mount the pavement on my 125 and still leave room for granny on her wheelchair to squeeze through .

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:01 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

Because a 125 at national speed limit is right on the boundaries of it's performance and design. Many 125s will not genuinely hit the speed limit in the real world - and that's before you add luggage.

What part of my above post did you not understand? By all means get yourself a 125 and find this out for yourself. If you know everything there is to know, why bother asking for advice from those who actually do this?

I came here to confirm my own biases, since you've failed to uphold them I'm going to confirm them myself. Sorry is that too honest, it's just human nature.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:03 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
Because it can actually fit through the gaps, good look get your 600cc through a tiny gap in 5mph crawling traffic down a one way street, meanwhile I can mount the pavement on my 125 and still leave room for granny on her wheelchair to squeeze through .

Which bikes are you referring to that are wider than say a YBR125?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:07 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

Which bikes are you referring to that are wider than say a YBR125?

Suzuki's, tourers etc. Plus you can't drive over parked cars the same way on a big bike as you can on a YBR125 or Honda CBF125.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:10 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GSXR600 and GSXR1000 are narrower than a YBR125. Wink

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:11 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The GSXR600 and GSXR1000 are narrower than a YBR125. Wink

As I said, they don't drive over parked cars on a high street as effectively. And you wouldn't get away with pavement-sharing them; they look more intimidating.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:12 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 750 is my main road-bike. Its heavy, its comfy, it has enough oomph, I can load it up with camping kit, stick a pillion on the bunny, and still not have to work too hard to go SLOWER than I probably do on the 125, which, is great round town, but with little to spare, begs I work the thing very hard to make good progress almost anywhere,so tends to be more 'fun' to ride if I am in the mood, other wise just more work and less comfort.

My competition trials bike is 250cc; it's actually less powerful than the 125, but the displacement means that it has 'stomp' right across the rev-range for clambering up hills where mountain goats would fear to tread usually at less than walking pace.... trials is about the lowest speed motor-sport you can imagine!

Your aspersions we must be adrenaline fueled speed freaks, and that must be the sole reason for wanting a bigger bike, is (almost!) shear ignorance and prejudice....

- You want 'cheap' get to work wheels.
- You live in a high insurance premium post-code
- You dont like the idea of crashing.

You no wanna crash, learn to ride! Do the full course, get the ticket to say you done it, don't try and dodge that, only doing just the first lesson.

You want cheap wheels. Big bikes are often cheaper to buy and to insure than learner legals. You just need to take tests to get the licence to take advantage!

You have agreed to that in your own comment that the cost to road of doing a course and buying a middle-weight commuter works out much the same as NOT doing the full course to get a 125. That course, that know how, that LEARNING, which is rubber stamped by passing tests, is the thing most likely to up your odds of NOT crashing.

IF that is a significant factor in your decision making, then the cost of the coarse aught be immaterial to the matter. Fact that that course and the licence you should get for it COULD also help you save money, from potentially lower insurance premiums and access to potentially cheaper bikes, I would have thought aught shift the notion a few notches up the rankings by the double whammy you get for it!

But either which way you try and cut it up, we have offered you advice based on what you asked. Like I said if you don't like that advice, and have already got the answers, why ask the question?

I AM sorry, the answer it seems you want, along the lines of "What you want is a Kawanonduki SXY125, they cost 42p, do 999mpg, and insurers will pay you to take out a policy" is just fantasy!

I say it again, A Yamaha YBR125, is most often the all-round best value learner legal around. Anything else, tends to cost more some-where along the line, or make more problems than it solves.

While an A2 course, test and full-licence, opens the door to a whole raft of bikes likely to offer a lot more for your money, be cheaper to buy and cheaper to insure, WHILST the effort to actually do the course and learn how to ride & get a full licence is likely to save you a whole heap of pain and money and hassle in the long run IF you heed the lessons on how NOT to crash.

No one says you have to do RWYL 'A' licence tests after A2 either, let alone pay for a second course to get it. As mentioned. Self booked and taken on your de-restricted A2 bike, costs less and takes less time to do full 'A' tests than a repeat ruddy CBT! IF you choose to!

And ether way, if you still want a 125.. and big hint, I have already alluded to the fact I own and ride 125's, on a full licence, I just don't need to hang an L-Plate on the back of them.... YOU CAN! No one says you have to buy a bigger bike, just because you have a licence that says you may! But you likely wont save any money from doing so!

Like I sad, its your arse, your money, your choice.... but ffs, stop arguing just because the answer you got isn't the one you wanted to hear!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:21 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

You haven't seen me overtake an artic on the inside on my strumpet...

In reality, on virtually all bikes the widest point are the handle bars, which are all of a muchness in length.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
Suzuki's, tourers etc. Plus you can't drive over parked cars the same way on a big bike as you can on a YBR125 or Honda CBF125.

https://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/gallery/wtf/wedding-crashers-wtf.gif

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 20:26 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

https://www.theinsightonline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/motorcycle-trials.jpg
Yeah... go away and learn something! I HAVE actually 'ridden over' cars on a motorbike, in arena trials... and I can tell you you would not do that sort of shit on a YBR or CBF, and I struggled a damn site more on a TY125 than I did on my Cota 250!
It is also just as illegal to mount the pavement on any size of motorcycle, other than for the purpose of parking!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
tentativebike... This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:39 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think that you can't be banned?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:44 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

The points only apply when you get your full liccence...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:50 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
Ste wrote:

You can be banned from driving before you even GET a licence.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:54 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

You can be banned from driving before you even GET a licence.

Well of course, but you'd need to be an utter mong.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:58 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
Ste wrote:

What on earth makes you think that? I was banned under totting up before I passed my bike test.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:59 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

What on earth makes you think that? I was banned under totting up before I passed my bike test.

See the above post...

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tentativebiker is Arcane or other similarly retarded sock puppet.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:39 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:

Clearly now after his bedtime.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:10 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
DRZ4Hunned wrote:

Clearly now after his bedtime.

The only people retarded are the ones getting totting up offenses banning them before passing their test.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:23 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

The only people retarded are the ones getting totting up offenses banning them before passing their test.

Just to piss you off, I was riding a bike on L plates for years without having to do CBT and without having an enforced 3 yearly break.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3