Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Good 125s for learning on under 200 quid?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:25 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

The only people retarded are the ones getting totting up offenses banning them before passing their test.

Just to piss you off, I was riding a bike on L plates for years without having to do CBT and without having an enforced 3 yearly break.

Bully for you? Well done on not killing yourself, won't piss me off, although Teflon Mike will be along to tell you how stupid you are,

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:28 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

Bully for you? Well done on not killing yourself, won't piss me off, although Teflon Mike will be along to tell you how stupid you are,

It's only you that suffers that indignity.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:17 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

It's only you that suffers that indignity.

Whatever.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:17 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done various things on various bikes. Of all of them, the CBR was the best in terms of getting through spaces. The 600 that is.

You should only ever have use a 125 if your commute is already dire. Learners should be subject to strict 60mph enforcement and have to do CBT yearly. Nazi state.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'd avoid the Honda CBF125,

Why avoid the CBF125?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:41 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because rust flux.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=281543

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:49 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Fucking heck, didn't know that were that bad!

What about the new CB125F?

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:38 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

Why do I need any more than that? I'm not intending on breaking the law. If I get a lower powered bike I'll just stay on 60 roads. Surely the only reason any of you want a bigger bike is due to your desire to speed like morons past stationery traffic, you could all happily commute on a 125. Maybe the police should just track people back from their A2 or A licence tests to get easy speeding fines. No other reason to take them when 125s can do the speed limits.

And regards the only take one test shit; mentioned above, if I needed to, which I probably won't, I'll do my A test when I turn 24 given I'd probably need lessons before both of them - which is where it actually starts to become far more expensive to buy a ER5 like you suggested; and the road cost was based on the bikes alone; it becomes stupidly more expensive when you factor in a grand or so for training purposes and tests being booked. You'll probably say a grand is worth the cost for safety, I disagree.

OP doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Also never seen a happy commuter on a 125 trying to get past a lorry uphill on a blustery day
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:15 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Ste wrote:

It's worse.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:26 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

It's worse.

I've not seen so many bawws about it. Got any horror stories to share? I am sitting comfortably.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£200 will get you a bike that isn't a complete basket case, if you are patient.

I just bought a 125 for £100 and sold it on with a new mot for a profit after some friends helped me fix it up.

Mate's been given a 125 Honda that runs, just, but needs electrics sorting.

Look long and hard, helps if you have mates that owe you favours so you can get a bike collected etc

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

and as for the CBF125's I cleaned mine thoroughly, very carefully every week and used ACF50 on it in places (I'd normally just put ACF50 on a bike and leave it) and topped the oil up every month.

It had signs of corrosion and rust and I was actually trying really very hard to look after it unlike my poor old CRF250L which gets abused so much it'd probably ring a helpline if it was sentient.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
It's worse.

I've not seen so many bawws about it. Got any horror stories to share? I am sitting comfortably.

Horror stories? Do you mean the example of a bad dealer, sorted by another one, with a free bike upgrade?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:11 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that was the old one?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:26 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Horror stories? Do you mean the example of a bad dealer, sorted by another one, with a free bike upgrade?

Eventually, after Honda UK got involved which shouldn't have been necessary.

Did having it replaced by a CBR125 mean that the CBF125 isn't hugely prone to rusting? I ask because we're discussing the prospects of buying a used bike, not a brand new one.

Now, do you have any worse stories about the CB125F? Does it rust in the factory?

andy46
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:43 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how my lad got his first bike on the road at 17 (with my help)

We bought a cat C write off ybr125C from surreymcsalvage on ebay for £650. it was under 3 years old and had twisted forks, badly scratched headlight rim, bent levers (brake, clutch & gear), and a slight graze on the exhaust.
most expensive to fix was the headlight rim at £55 for a genuine part, other bits cost no more than £40 aftermarket, I loosened the forks and twisted them straight, the grazed exhaust he lives with, in fact he has added more scratches of his own. MOT £30, tax £17.

Insurance was £228 from Lexham, (Shire County market town postcode and he had 1 year ncb from his ped) Third party only, I don't see the point in fire and theft or a fully comp policy - it's not like there are any circumstances where he's going to make a claim, have to pay an excess and declare such claim for 5 years. The bike's already a cat C.

He sourced and paid for his own gear, all second hand except the helmet which he got in a sale at J&S, £50 got him a decent looking flip front with bluetooth (which doesn't work - hence £50). I advised him to get proper bike boots, textile armoured jacket & trousers, proper gloves, I don't know what it all cost but his budget was less than £200 inc lid.

He has since added a waterproof oversuit and a nice looking leather jacket & kevlar jeans, + some new gloves having fucked his first pair at the same time as he scratched the exhaust.

So it's quite possible to get on the road for under 2K.

The ybr is still clean and tidy - I expect to get my money back on it when he's done with it (unless it catches fire or get's pinched obviously).

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:03 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I don't see the point in fire and theft or a fully comp policy"

Never make any assumptions about insurance, sometimes fully comp works out cheaper than TPO.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:24 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy46 wrote:
Here's how my lad got his first bike on the road at 17 (with my help)

We bought a cat C write off ybr125C from surreymcsalvage on ebay for £650. it was under 3 years old and had twisted forks, badly scratched headlight rim, bent levers (brake, clutch & gear), and a slight graze on the exhaust.
most expensive to fix was the headlight rim at £55 for a genuine part, other bits cost no more than £40 aftermarket, I loosened the forks and twisted them straight, the grazed exhaust he lives with, in fact he has added more scratches of his own. MOT £30, tax £17.

Insurance was £228 from Lexham, (Shire County market town postcode and he had 1 year ncb from his ped) Third party only, I don't see the point in fire and theft or a fully comp policy - it's not like there are any circumstances where he's going to make a claim, have to pay an excess and declare such claim for 5 years. The bike's already a cat C.

He sourced and paid for his own gear, all second hand except the helmet which he got in a sale at J&S, £50 got him a decent looking flip front with bluetooth (which doesn't work - hence £50). I advised him to get proper bike boots, textile armoured jacket & trousers, proper gloves, I don't know what it all cost but his budget was less than £200 inc lid.

He has since added a waterproof oversuit and a nice looking leather jacket & kevlar jeans, + some new gloves having fucked his first pair at the same time as he scratched the exhaust.

So it's quite possible to get on the road for under 2K.

The ybr is still clean and tidy - I expect to get my money back on it when he's done with it (unless it catches fire or get's pinched obviously).

What the holy fuck? You'd be stick a 0 on top of that if you tried to get a 17 year old insured on a YBR round my neck of the woods.

andy46
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:48 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

What the holy fuck? You'd be stick a 0 on top of that if you tried to get a 17 year old insured on a YBR round my neck of the woods.

I don't doubt it - it seems very unfair if they're not insuring against theft anyway but thems the rules.

We also had other quotes well over 2K so it's worth being patient and putting your details in all the sites you can find.
Other's on here recommend doing so in a Private browser, using very similar details to your actual ones, then deleting cookies in order to get the best idea of where to put in actual details. It works to avoid premiums "creeping up" if you don't buy on the first visit.

i have noticed this and it does work.

andy46
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:53 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Never make any assumptions about insurance, sometimes fully comp works out cheaper than TPO.

Oh yeah, good point I forgot about that, I see the point if it makes it cheaper - other vehicles in the house are fully comp for this reason.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:

Eventually, after Honda UK got involved which shouldn't have been necessary.

Did having it replaced by a CBR125 mean that the CBF125 isn't hugely prone to rusting? I ask because we're discussing the prospects of buying a used bike, not a brand new one.

Now, do you have any worse stories about the CB125F? Does it rust in the factory?

...so it was a bad dealer? Third world Hondas have been prone to rusting for ages. Look at the comments about the MSX, my (Brazilian) XR was bad in this respect as well. I recall reading on here the CB125F was widely considered shite in the far east, we must have lower standards Confused

Ste wrote:

For youngins? Typically with a massive excess, like £1500 on a £1600 bike.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:33 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Third world Hondas have been prone to rusting for ages.

Wait, are we agreeing? Or fite? I forgit.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:05 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

If the big table of statistics say that kids on a YBR125 with fully comp cost insurance companies less than the kids with TPO then it'll be cheaper to have fully comp.

The excess is irrelevant if you have no intention of claiming.

It's the same as how having a lower annual mileage won't necessarily make the price cheaper and how security devices might not make any difference to the price.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:26 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
M.C wrote:
Third world Hondas have been prone to rusting for ages.

Wait, are we agreeing? Or fite? I forgit.

I think we're looking for a dwarf among midgets.

Ste wrote:
M.C wrote:

If the big table of statistics say that kids on a YBR125 with fully comp cost insurance companies less than the kids with TPO then it'll be cheaper to have fully comp.

The excess is irrelevant if you have no intention of claiming.

It's the same as how having a lower annual mileage won't necessarily make the price cheaper and how security devices might not make any difference to the price.

Where's arry Laughing Normally the ooh fully comp's cheapest for me stories are old people with NCB. Although I have noticed less cheap TPO quotes, hopefully it's not becoming like car insurance and hopefully MCE will continue offering cheap policies.

The security/mileage thing's people searching for non-existent discounts, like a higher excess often doesn't result in a lower premium.

A high excess makes higher levels of cover irrelevant, I believe MCE are the only ones who push it that far (in terms of bikes anyway).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3