Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car tyre puncture - fixable?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:18 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Car tyre puncture - fixable? Reply with quote

Put this in Dear Deidre as car not bike tyre.

Anyway. Picked up a screw in back tyre of the car. Pretty close to the middle of the t, 6mm left so a shame to chuck it. Didn't notice when I pulled off, probably 500m down the road and feel complete loss, stop and change to the spare.

Took to kwikfit today, monkey takes off the tyre and about a spoonful of powedered rubber falls out of the inside rim. Due much tutting and a cry of "its not reparable shallipriceyouanewone"

Now this appeared to be manager dude that was looking at it and i thought I'll keep it for a second opinion, or at least order the new one online to save the ponds

So I seek the massed wisdom of the bcf. Is a little powedered Michelin normal, tolerable or will I explode and run over a passing kitten the next time im at a ton and late for work? Wut do??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see why it wouldn't be. Pics?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, just read that again - if you've driven on it that far totally flat it might well have knackered the side walls.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:53 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Actually, just read that again - if you've driven on it that far totally flat it might well have knackered the side walls.

Would have been about 50ft totally flat between noticing and finding a spot to stop. Was at about 20mph

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Kwikfit people are on a commission from tyre sales. I have no idea but that is going to make one hell of a difference on their recommendation.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the sidewalls visibly damaged, inside or out?

The area itself is a repairable place, but if the sidewalls are damaged from running flat, that is an issue.

50ft doesn't sound far enough to create a spoonful of rubber dust from the insides rubbing...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show some pictures of the tyre. Every time i get someone at work with a puncture i ask them have you driven on it. They always say no then when i remove the tyre half a ton of the sidewall falls out. Laughing

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 21:06 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my local kwik fit were usually happy to patch a tyre if they possibly could. They charge something like 25 quid for a patch, which has to represent a similar amount of profit to selling you a tyre.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:46 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our local kwik fit were always willing to repair. As Robby said. The margins are probably as good, if not better than replacement.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:57 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

£25 for a tyre puncture repair? Oop norf it's £8
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

JonB
Afraid of Mileage

PostPosted: 21:58 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Kwik fit?
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:02 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread needs photos.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:03 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:

Kwik fit?

No a local tyre wallah. Even the national tyres centre only charges about £14.

Kwikfit though did once turn around their computer screen to me and it showed the mark up percentages. Sure they have overheads and stuff but nothing was less than 300%
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Car tyre puncture - fixable? Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:

So I seek the massed wisdom of the bcf. Is a little powedered Michelin normal, tolerable or will I explode and run over a passing kitten the next time im at a ton and late for work? Wut do??

I doubt it will assplode but it might become self aware - https://www.imdb.com/videoplayer/vi3420494617

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:27 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
Are the sidewalls visibly damaged, inside or out?

I can't see anything wrong with it, but then I'm a mong when it comes to this stuff. My last blowout was at 120 and I lived, but now the kids put a different spin on it.

I'll post some pics up when I get some custard.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:37 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod the custard, a tin of beans will do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonB wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Kwik fit?

I got told a tenner from my local kwik fitter

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you've described it's negligible, most tyre places will be a bit weary of fixing a puncture on a tyre that you've driven on flat and ground the sidewall down.
They don't want to be responsible for your 90mph blowout on the motorway, it might not happen but they won't risk it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to get it repaired, get a kit and do it yourself.

Did wifies Megane Cabriolet on an almost new tyre with a silly string kit. Holds pressure fine 3 months on.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:45 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never go to qwikfit. My missus went there with a slow puncture. She came out with 2 new tyres and a £300 bill.

The tyres where 60% worn and an odd size apparently.

I told her that means they have 40% lof the life left, as for an odd size the car is a fucking Fiat 500 Rolling Eyes

A month or so later I got 4 new tyres on my Fiesta and the tracking done for half that...

Last edited by chris-red on 17:44 - 04 Dec 2017; edited 2 times in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:04 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwik fit?
Not if it was the last place on earth. I'd sooner walk.

Bikeless
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Kwik fit?
Not if it was the last place on earth. I'd sooner walk.

Totally agree, find a good independent, there's plenty around.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:21 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once drove over 100 miles at over 100mph with an entirely flat front tyre. They're pretty tough things.

I begrudgingly replaced it, it was brand new on the day before I fucked it.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:32 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
If you are going to get it repaired, get a kit and do it yourself.

Did wifies Megane Cabriolet on an almost new tyre with a silly string kit. Holds pressure fine 3 months on.

Thanks for the tips all. Taking the tyre to an indie tomorrow for a look. Will be guided by them.

Have ruled self repair out due to my ineptitude and the fact the only reason I still keep the car is those odd occasions I need to get up the motorway autobahnen-art, usually in the cold/wet rather than the bike

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:36 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I got told a tenner from my local kwik fitter

This worked for me in the town I used to live in, kwikfitter clearly wondering where tonight's herb was coming from did it whilst his boss was on lunch for a tenner cash
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 128 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2