Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorways on Asprilla RS50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:53 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Motorways on Asprilla RS50 Reply with quote

So I'm thinking of doing a round-trip motorway tour in January-February on an Asprilla RS50. I've planned to the route out;

going to take the M6 then come of at the M42, hop on the M25 for a once round London and then head north on the M1 and A1(M) before knocking across the M62 to rejoin the M6. Should be a nice fun ride on the Asprilla RS50, she's got lots of character. Planning on getting it done in a week.

Anyone have any advice for motorway touring on 50cc? What's the best options? Should I derestrict it? Should I use the middle and outer lane all the way, to avoid possibly being stuck behind lorries who might not see me? If I don't derestict it, should I just ride along in the hard shoulder to avoid holding over traffic back?

How do I tick up a race with another biker, should I just start accelerating when they raise their hand to wave? Do I need to stop at service stations, or can I just ride flat out and eat on the go? My indicators are a bit smashed up, will that matter too much? A tank of fuel in a RS50 will get me 250 miles won't it?

Oh and of course any tips for winter riding?

Snod Blatter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:06 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorcycles under 50cc are not allowed on the motorway. You may have to rethink your plans Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:09 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provisional licence holders are also not allowed on the motorway.

So neither you, nor your bike are allowed.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:10 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:

Ok then, I'll take a Piaggo Zip 70cc, I'm planning on hiring the bike anyway - same questions apply!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:11 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorways on Asprilla RS50 Reply with quote

Hello Tritey, it's been a while. Wub

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:12 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Motorways on Asprilla RS50 Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Hello Tritey, it's been a while. Wub

Who the fuck is Tritey? I'm a new member, I can assure you of that. And entirely serious.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're touring you'll be best fitting panniers, the bigger and squarer the better, maybe even a trailer.

Eating on the go is fine. As your not going too quick how about setting up a camping stove on the handlebars? You could have a fry up while riding down the hard shoulder on the M25...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:21 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
If you're touring you'll be best fitting panniers, the bigger and squarer the better, maybe even a trailer.

Eating on the go is fine. As your not going too quick how about setting up a camping stove on the handlebars? You could have a fry up while riding down the hard shoulder on the M25...

Sorry but are you advocating I break dangerous driving laws?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:23 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

May as well go full criminal since you'd already be driving outwith the terms of your provisional licence by going on a motorway to begin with.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:25 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

May as well go full criminal since you'd already be driving outwith the terms of your provisional licence by going on a motorway to begin with.

I never said I wouldn't get the A1 licence for the purpose of this tour, but that's cheap as chips, not akin to doing A2. I've never suggested I'd do anything criminal in doing this tour, except for not taking a powerful enough bike.

Last edited by tentativebiker on 19:26 - 18 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

Such as what?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:27 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

Such as what?

Driving without due care and attention; pretty sure the cops would find something to pin on you if you were driving down the M1 making a fry up since they've done lorry drivers for much the same in the past.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:32 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snod Blatter wrote:

The Asprilla isn't under 50cc, it's 50cc. I think it is just about legal to ride on a motorway, back to plan A.

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

Driving without due care and attention; pretty sure the cops would find something to pin on you if you were driving down the M1 making a fry up since they've done lorry drivers for much the same in the past.

I've never heard of a moped rider being done for it though, have you?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:35 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

I never said I wouldn't get the A1 licence for the purpose of this tour, but that's cheap as chips, not akin to doing A2. I've never suggested I'd do anything criminal in doing this tour, except for not taking a powerful enough bike.

I just assumed that since you were getting super-humpty with people suggesting you did your test in your other thread, that you had no intention of doing your test.

If you've got a full licence, ride what you want as long as it's over 50cc. I sit at 50mph on the motorway on my enfield with the trailer on and sometimes drop to 45 or 40 if there's a steep hill/headwind. You just need to keep out in your lane and make sure you're seen. A hi-viz vest helps.

The trickiest bit on a slow vehicle is where traffic is joining the motorway from your left. Many drivers are labouring under the misapprehension that it's your job to "let them in" rather than their job to match speed and merge and give way to traffic already on the motorway. Some of them WILL try to merge on top of you and force you into lane 2, even if there's nowhere for you to go. That's when experience, confidence and "road presence" takes over. I can and have forced cars to drive onto the hard shoulder before today (while sounding their horn and waving their arms in the air instead of slowing the fuck down and merging behind me like they ought to) but it takes a degree of nerve to hold your line.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:35 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
The Asprilla isn't under 50cc, it's 50cc. I think it is just about legal to ride on a motorway, back to plan A.

They're 49cc aren't they?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ted wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

I've never heard of a moped rider being done for it though, have you?

Normally done for breaking other laws...

Ted
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he's bored it out 1cc? Laughing

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:41 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

I just assumed that since you were getting super-humpty with people suggesting you did your test in your other thread, that you had no intention of doing your test.

If you've got a full licence, ride what you want as long as it's over 50cc. I sit at 50mph on the motorway on my enfield with the trailer on and sometimes drop to 45 or 40 if there's a steep hill/headwind. You just need to keep out in your lane and make sure you're seen. A hi-viz vest helps.

The trickiest bit on a slow vehicle is where traffic is joining the motorway from your left. Many drivers are labouring under the misapprehension that it's your job to "let them in" rather than their job to match speed and merge and give way to traffic already on the motorway. Some of them WILL try to merge on top of you and force you into lane 2, even if there's nowhere for you to go. That's when experience, confidence and "road presence" takes over. I can and have forced cars to drive onto the hard shoulder before today (while sounding their horn and waving their arms in the air instead of slowing the fuck down and merging behind me like they ought to) but it takes a degree of nerve to hold your line.

Oh you thought I was being "super-arsey" in the other thread, yeah not even a bit. I was objecting to the cost of it all doesn't so much apply for a 125 where I can practice without paying some bellend to tell me how shit I am all day.

Yeah most of us don't have a fucking death wish, I'll just stick to pottering along in the outside lane on my Asprilla so I'm clear of the lorries.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:41 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

49.9cc to be precice.

Pretty much have to be to qualify as a "moped" because the legislation states "under 50cc".

Not that I believe OP has one. Nor will I believe he has one until he posts a time and date-stamped photo of him sitting on it while holding a can of tuna (because this smells fishier than mere custard).

I refuse to believe there are any RS50s still in existance that haven't either been blown up or stolen and torched.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

49.9cc, better just hope the rozzers round up.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:45 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ste wrote:

49.9cc to be precice.

Pretty much have to be to qualify as a "moped" because the legislation states "under 50cc".

Not that I believe OP has one. Nor will I believe he has one until he posts a time and date-stamped photo of him sitting on it while holding a can of tuna (because this smells fishier than mere custard).

I refuse to believe there are any RS50s still in existance that haven't either been blown up or stolen and torched.

I said earlier in the thread I'd hire one.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:46 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

They don't.
not tritey or dagmar wrote:

Where from?

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:49 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

They don't.
not tritey or dagmar wrote:

Where from?

Motorbike hire place or an asprilla dealership

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:51 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
Motorbike hire place or an asprilla dealership

Okay, which motorbike hire place or Aprilia dealership did you have in mind?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 131 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2