Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suggested Overhaul of Bike Licensing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:14 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Suggested Overhaul of Bike Licensing Reply with quote

[quote="tentativebiker"]I've come up with a suggested scheme pattern for overhauling bike licensing laws to make them less shit.

15 years of age - CBT eligibility for anything up to 250cc
15 years of age - A1 for a 250cc bike
16 years of age - A2 for a 400cc bike
17 years of age - A for an unrestricted bike.

In my day then your idea would have had 15 year olds on RD250LC with just CBT? I'd have loved that.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 18 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Suggested Overhaul of Bike Licensing Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
I've come up with a suggested scheme pattern for overhauling bike licensing laws to make them less shit.

I will not quote the rest, what the fucking hell was the OP smoking?

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Suggested Overhaul of Bike Licensing Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:
I've come up with a suggested scheme pattern for overhauling bike licensing laws to make them less shit.

CBT's would be valid to 12 months and you can only take it once, taking your CBT is a commitment to do the relevant licence within 12 months, you're A1/A2 licence counts as a indefinite CBT for the next licence category up. They must display L plates.

CBT riders can not ride on motorways, cannot carry a pillion, and most not ride abroad. A CBT rider must get retested after 6 months to ensure they aren't utterly useless, and must be insured to a minimum of TPF&T.

All riders should wear plates with their licence category written on them on the front and rear of their bike throughout their riding career.

You would get more points as you progress.

CBT - 3 points and a ban
A1 - 6 points and a ban
A2 9 points and a ban
A 12 points and a ban

Tests would switch to a 60 minute on road ride, with manoeuvres performed in real world situations rather than a car park.

Finally any at fault crash would result in a down grade of your licence to the lower category.

https://img.memecdn.com/please-dont-feed-the-trolls_o_574238.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 00:21 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Suggested Overhaul of Bike Licensing Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
tentativebiker wrote:

I will not quote the rest, what the fucking hell was the OP smoking?

What's wrong with the legislation idea I laid down, seems perfectly fine to me. If you can drive a ferrari on your 17th birthday why can't you ride a high end sports bike?

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:53 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Suggested Overhaul of Bike Licensing Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

What's wrong with the legislation idea I laid down, seems perfectly fine to me. If you can drive a ferrari on your 17th birthday why can't you ride a high end sports bike?

Because proportionally fewer 17 year olds can access the keys to a Ferrari than the 17 yes olds that can independantly fund a machine capable of similar performance and requiring a similar level of skill, maturity and restraint to pilot without loss of kitten.

Is the use of rainpal mandatory for under 25's in this system?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 01:04 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://zippy.gfycat.com/BasicPaleGavial.gif

Lots of that showing up on my meter.

As above, find a 17/18 year old with 50k+

At 18 I had access to about 4k which is 1000cc territory. I'd be dead by now if I bought one at that age.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:15 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Suggested Overhaul of Bike Licensing Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

What's wrong? errr more or less everything.

Qyburn
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 08:38 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a serious note, I hope people put in their views during the actual consultation period. Some of the proposed changes look good for bikers, for a change. For example licence upgrade by training.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/improving-moped-and-motorcycle-training

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:44 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I think there should be a more progressive way of upgrading your A1/A2 licence than simply having to do another test. Perhaps more along the lines of logging road experience and having a certain number of formal lessons signed off. Kind of like the CPC they have for HGV drivers but with a practical aspect to it.

There was talk within the DVSA about handing the A2 to full A upgrades to training schools. Not sure what happened with that or if they fully intend to implement it, The boss was talking about it during the summer. So you would still have to do A1 and A2 through the examiner but the final step could be signed off by me! (pay me enough)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't let 16 year olds loose on 50cc peds if I had my way

they think they are invincible and take stupid risks because imo they are not mature enough to use the road

flying up and down alleyways because they know they can without giving a shit who is walking in them
17 year olds are worse for some reason on their 125cc crossers

the bloke I work with is what you would call abusing the system

rides a 125 on L plates and has for about ten years
rides better then most proper riders do dosnt take any risks and has told me numerous times he would prefer to get there alive and safe rather then five minutes quicker

reason for no test is he had leukaemia and since then stressful situations make him have panic attacks and the idea of a test is petrifying for him
he was a firefighter before that
he has his theory booked for January though

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back to the decent days of learning Wink -

16 - Moped
17 - 250cc on L plates
17 - Stick a sidecar on and ride any cc on L plates.
17 - Pass your test and ride anything.

It worked for me, YDS7, RD250 then GT500 all in my 17th year. I never died. Thumbs Up

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:39 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

16 - Moped
17 - 250cc on L plates

It worked for me, YDS7, RD250 then GT500 all in my 17th year. I never died. Thumbs Up

A few of the older guys I've known done this. Most of them just saying they had a 250cc on L plates. If they managed to survive them then I'm sure this generation can.
Don't right off the newer 125cc bikes OP they are great! I know you probably don't care but they have some of the best MPG figures compared to any vehicle on the roads today.

Only thing I'll add is that they should ban 50cc peds from the roads. They are a joke and its often dangerous when you see them plodding along at 28mph on a 70mph road.

Last edited by adam277 on 11:42 - 19 Nov 2017; edited 2 times in total

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was talked about years ago but nothing came of it and that was to do with Pizza delivery riders. It's still the case that anybody can work as a pizza delivery rider on L plates. These days it's not just Pizza, it's all kinds of foods. If I had my way anyone who wants this job SHOULD have a full drivers licence. In fact the same could apply to motorcycle courier work too.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:38 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
It was talked about years ago but nothing came of it and that was to do with Pizza delivery riders. It's still the case that anybody can work as a pizza delivery rider on L plates. These days it's not just Pizza, it's all kinds of foods. If I had my way anyone who wants this job SHOULD have a full drivers licence. In fact the same could apply to motorcycle courier work too.

And then they'll swap to pedal dispatch and more of them will be more seriously injured as cyclists are more vulnerable than even a moped rider

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:40 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

And then they'll swap to pedal dispatch and more of them will be more seriously injured as cyclists are more vulnerable than even a moped rider

That's the downside...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:50 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:

Only thing I'll add is that they should ban 50cc peds from the roads. They are a joke and its often dangerous when you see them plodding along at 28mph on a 70mph road.

They are bloody slow and dangerous because of legislation though. Back in the same time era as I wrote above you had Gileras, Garelli's, Yamaha FS1E's and a host of other fast mopeds capable of 50mph+. It was basically the reason the powers that be changed the rules from 50cc with pedals, to 50cc with a speed limitation.

Mind you they were temperamental as fuck those sports mopeds Laughing

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:07 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam277 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

16 - Moped
17 - 250cc on L plates

A few of the older guys I've known done this. Most of them just saying they had a 250cc on L plates. If they managed to survive them then I'm sure this generation can.
Don't right off the newer 125cc bikes OP they are great! I know you probably don't care but they have some of the best MPG figures compared to any vehicle on the roads today.

I'm not, people should have the choice to ride them, but it should be exactly that; a choice. I'm going to choose to ride a 125cc on L plates, but in my opinion should have the option of a 250cc before taking my test. As you point out, sensible riders survived in the old days, why can't today's youth.

As to the other point often raised in here so far, cba to quote, the bad moves by sixteen and seventeen year olds on peds and 125s are often down to lack of experience, starting them younger should negate that experience.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrade through experience would be better than any of this nonsence. That would mean you can't have any old idiot jumping on any bike they want just because they are past a certain age. Do so many miles/hours with an instructor if you are seem as capable then you are able to upgrade.

tentativebike...
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:46 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Upgrade through experience would be better than any of this nonsence. That would mean you can't have any old idiot jumping on any bike they want just because they are past a certain age. Do so many miles/hours with an instructor if you are seem as capable then you are able to upgrade.

What so you start riding on a 125 regardless of age, own it until you've logged 100 hours on a bigger bike with an instructor and then you can ride the bigger bike. Not a bad idea, but no doubt get moans from 50 year olds who think they're old enough to ride what they want.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:48 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tentativebiker wrote:

What so you start riding on a 125 regardless of age, own it until you've logged 100 hours on a bigger bike with an instructor and then you can ride the bigger bike. Not a bad idea, but no doubt get moans from 50 year olds who think they're old enough to ride what they want.

Like voting I wouldn't trust a 15year old on placing a vote as much as I'd trust him to be safe on the road. 16years old you can ride a 125. Come 18 when most are legal in this country so is riding a larger bike. Go with an instructor get some hours in proove you can ride a 600 bike safe and no danger to anyone. There is room for improvement in this but as it's just a pipe dream and idle talk who cares.

Regarding the old people if they think they are old enough to ride any bike simply proove it. You shouldn't be allowed to ride a high powered sport bike just because you are of certain age. With age does not guarantee throttle control.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:50 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question from some-one who hasn't even done CBT yet, is rather like, the patient trying to set the hospital procedures for the surgeon...

Personally, though. opinion on the topic, offered many times before; whenever a learner grumbles about the tests they have to do from a feeling of being dis-privileged by what we got....

1/ Do away with CBT and unsupervised L-Plating
If a couple of hours wobbling round the cones and a couple more dodging Sunday Drivers on the roads is deemed sufficient for any-one to 'qualify' to ride a light-weight motorcycle, unsupervised; put a 'test' at the end of it, dole out A1's if they pass and be done.

Personally I don't think it is, and stats support that, but with the CBT expanded some and a realistic test on the end, it could be enough for an A1 licence.

2/ Do away with DAS, and DAS ages.
Make the tiered licence system properly progressive as was intended.
Eg:
Step 1; Do super-CBT & end test, get a A1
Step 2; Do conventional DAS course & End test, get A2
Step 3; Do AIM/Rospa style 'Advance Rider' Course,& end test, get a RWYL 'A'.

If a 17 year old has the time, money, deturmnation & ablity to go through all that before they are 18, all power to'em!
If they can then get insurance on a Fire-Busa, and avoid loosing hard won licence under NDA, fair play I say!
Some-one that has the deturmination to do that much work, that quick, deserves the licence, and likely if they are that seriouse about the job, and with that investment of time and money it, are a darn site more likely to respect it and be a bit more sesible than Mr Mid-Life Crisis Man with the Mortgate nie on paid off, and the company car to get to work and do the shopping, who can do a course in a week, and buy a 200mph 'toy' for the week-end instead of a new set of golf clubs!

As to moped laws and the old days of 17 year olds on 250's and perpetual L-Plates?!?!

The 1982 125 Learner-Laws were an ass when they were invented, and pushed through against so much opinion advice and evidence against them, it is incredible, but the Hi-Po 250's and accident stats showed just how ridiculous the licence laws had become 'something' had to be done, and the only wonder IS give that motorcycles after two decades of increase, still represent barely 1% of UK road transport, and over half are not regular essential transport but leisure impediments, it's incredible that they have not simply banned bikes outright... it would have less political impact than banning Golf! And almost certainly not get the attention or backlash that banning fox hunting did!

The population of the UK has increased around 25% since the 250 Learner-Laws were in force. Car ownership has more than doubled. Average road traffic miles has increased probably three fold.

Meanwhile the nanny state has eroded an awful lot of old fashioned ideas of personal responsibility, and where-there's-blaim-there's-a-claim $-Lawyers much of what's left.

Idea that you might let a 17 year old, on the road, with no training, no qualification on a 250c motorcycle, that potentially could have 70bhp and 140mph performance, still outside the parameters of any modern licence but the full unrestricted 'A', as standard show room models actually had in the early to mid 1990's, is incredible.

Reversion to pre '82 learner laws in our current culture would almost certainly result in the stats ramping to provide the evidence to cause the the ban-hammer dropping, very quickly indeed.

Before asking why not, first ask why so. What we have is flawed, but its probably less flawed than the alternatives could be!!

But hey, what do I know after 40 years riding, competing, commuting and apparently only ever making the tea for instructors, and merely imagining I rode over cars or took class wins in observed section trials.. lets ask the guy without a licence.. he m-u-s-t have all the answers.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want one of these road legal 70bhp 250's Teffers is flapping on about Rolling Eyes

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

no other country has this L plate dispensation ..

you go to the designated instruction centre and you train & pass tests until you gain your full licence ... thats the way i see it goin here .. any changes to licencing groups or categories will be accepted here ... brexit or no .. simply because it would be too complicated otherwise....
any other changes would be pushed to the back of the queue because they`re gonna have their agenda full with brexit..

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 17:56 - 19 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "CBT abuse" comment tickles me.

Do your CBT, do your test, ride for the rest of your life.

Do your CBT, don't do your test, and your guaranteeing a day's training and a test every two years for CBT retake.

So harder for bad habits to creep in on the perpetual CBT people.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3