Autonomous cars

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

eifion
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:59 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:

1:You can still legally go on the roads with a bike, but you'll have to pay insurance premiums that an 18 yr old boy racer wouldn't touch with a barge poll.

If anything I'd expect insurance to come down. The more robocars we share the roads with the less likely to be smidsy'd or rear ended or have a van drift into your lane. Robo cars won't get drunk, tired, angry, distracted, they don't text or check facebook, you can overtake one without it getting into a dick waving contest. If you pull out in front of one and it has to emergency stop to avoid you it's not going to get angry and drive 2 inches from your arse flashing its light to teach you a lesson.

Taking control of 2-ton 70mph battering rams away from the lazy, feckless, incompetent, distracted meatbags that currently control them? Bring it on I say.

SDFarsight
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 03:23 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

eifion wrote:
SDFarsight wrote:

1:You can still legally go on the roads with a bike, but you'll have to pay insurance premiums that an 18 yr old boy racer wouldn't touch with a barge poll.

If anything I'd expect insurance to come down. The more robocars we share the roads with the less likely to be smidsy'd or rear ended or have a van drift into your lane. Robo cars won't get drunk, tired, angry, distracted, they don't text or check facebook, you can overtake one without it getting into a dick waving contest. If you pull out in front of one and it has to emergency stop to avoid you it's not going to get angry and drive 2 inches from your arse flashing its light to teach you a lesson.

Taking control of 2-ton 70mph battering rams away from the lazy, feckless, incompetent, distracted meatbags that currently control them? Bring it on I say.

Overall it'll certainly be safer, yes. But if you reduce the average motorist to a sedate passenger then that leaves us, the purposefully non-AI bikers as the ones sticking our head above the legal/social parapet. We'll be that person who the government really hates; a driver who actually wants to drive.

eifion wrote:
you can overtake one without it getting into a dick waving contest.

Not from lack of effort. I've been through enough computers to know that the machines are out to get us.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDFarsight wrote:
We'll be that person who the government really hates; a driver who actually wants to drive.

That is already the case!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
There is obviously the moral dilemma. Who to blame when something goes wrong. Are we going to blame the car manufacturer, the passenger behind the wheel, the owner of the automobile?

There was an article on slashdot a few months ago about this. The car manufacturers would be the ones who would have to take responsibility and or indemnify the users of the self driving cars. Some of them even said this would have to be the case.

There is a worse moral dilemma. It's called the trolley problem.

In a nutshell a collision is imminent. Do you swerve towards the crowd or the old man to your left. You have to hit one of them.

How are the computers in the cars going to make this choice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avh7ez858xM

I'll trump your problem and raise your dilemma.

What about the theiving cunt paradox?

Scenario: you're getting violently robbed or hijacked at the lights, you'd like to drive over them / off, but scrotey fuck face's partner in crime has parked his t-max in front. Mash the go pedal, computer says no.

“KITT, engage turbo boost.“

"I'm sorry Michael, I'm afraid I can't do that, you see social injustice had created this sub-class of subversive disadvantaged youth. Their lives matter just as much as yours, maybe more as they're much younger and still sexualy active. By sitting here in your £95,000 full-auto-mobile you're contributing to this societal imbalance. You should sit here and take your medicine. On the bright side, I have called an ambulance, the police, your employer and insurance company."

FUUUUCK, why oh why didn't I pay the extra £5,000 to disable the social conscience plugin!? Coz I blew it all on the fake V12 engine noise plugin, fakebook livetrack announcer and optional debadge.

Personally I'd like to be judge, jury and executioner rather than be forced to comply with some corporate governance based on risk assessment to save their own arses rather than mine.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:31 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see the trolley problem as a big issue in reality - hopefully there should be massively less cases where it is an issue.

However; there is the case where someone chucks a realistic baby infront of a car, next to a kitten play ground, for instance.

However; not just being stopped, also trying to get away from said thieving scrotes and your car sticking to the 20mph limit may not be great too.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
However; not just being stopped, also trying to get away from said thieving scrotes and your car sticking to the 20mph limit may not be great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3