BCF: Bike Chat Forums

numb arse?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:56 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: numb arse? Reply with quote

Yesterday i went on my longest ever trips on my bike, I reckon it must have been about 250 miles plus

Have I caught the ghey, or is it normal to end up with a numb arse??

I had to stop in the end to get the feeling back into my legs.

went from Liverpool to Langollen (Penderosa), up to betws y coed back up to blaenau ffestiniog, couldnt find fuel there so ended up near porthmadog, then up through to Barmouth eventually getting to Bala an home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:11 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Normal.

A sheepskin helps.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the seat. My Triumph induces numbness at around one hour of riding. It feels soft enough, but it seems to be more about how it distributes the pressure that matters.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:22 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: numb arse? Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
went from Liverpool to Langollen (Penderosa), up to betws y coed back up to blaenau ffestiniog, couldnt find fuel there so ended up near porthmadog, then up through to Barmouth eventually getting to Bala an home

English translation please?

But no, I spent 4 hours straight on the R1, that was quite numb... 250 miles or so on the GSXR gave me severe arse cripple.

Its quite normal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should talk to your mate about that.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: numb arse? Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
mudcow007 wrote:

English translation please?

Went from scouseland to welshland an back again

nice i will just MTF an get on with it next time Thumbs Up

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically you're in the early stages of bed sores.
Make sure trousers aren't bundling up and affecting blood supply, or something might drop off.
You can ease things by sitting more on one cheek then the other, even a minute or two break and walk about works wonders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

2hrs max on the fz6 before severe but trauma occurs.

Could do 4hrs+ on my old 125 though

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numbness does mean that you aren't being supported properly. Bizarrely a comfortable squishy seat can be worse than a hard one for that as it pushes up into soft tissue that wasn't designed to be load bearing. Some seats are far better than others in that respect; my Pan's standard seat is short term more comfortable than my much harder Corbin, but the latter remains the same all day where the stages one starts to induce numbness once I go much over 300 miles in a day.

Moving around a bit, taking some weight off by putting weight onto the pegs etc can work. Just riding more can help, or wearing cycling shorts that also help wick moisture away.

For what it's worth, last week I did a couple of >350 mile days, one of those I didn't put my feet down for over 200 miles let alone get off. Didn't feel in the least bit uncomfortable (other than being ready for the loo).

Speedy2007
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:25 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Air Hawk on my S1000XR quadruples the time I can spend in the saddle.

A seat from Tony Archer in Huddersfield, with gel inserts, meant that I could ride back from the south of France non-stop (apart from fuel) in 14 hours on my Blackbird.

There's lots you can do to improve numb bum but unfortunately it tends to cost.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:25 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Amsterdam to Leipzig in a day on my Enfield, motorways all the way. It has a sprung dalle which also has a sprung frame covered with horsehair matting and leather with a sheepskin over the top of that, hardly a soft seat but definately supportive. Sore but not crippled. It does also force you onto your legs a fair bit more than any of my other bikes so weight is better distributed.

A mate of mine swears by wheelchair gel pads. He buys a cheapo seat unit off ebay with a torn cover, cuts a lump out of the foam, inserts the gel pad then recovers it. Keeps the standard seat for when he sells the bike.

Another useful tip is having a variation in foot position. I have highway pegs on the enfield, moving your feet changes which muscles are taking your weight.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycling shorts will help.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seat on my Fazer doesn't seem too bad to me, although a lot of folk find them uncomfortable. Most I've done in one hit was just short of 1000 miles. The way I coped was to have plenty of short stops for coffee etc, and a longer break for lunch, maybe 30 mins about half way through, which is what I usually do on long trips. No major discomfort experienced doing that. The Street Triple was worse, although the Triumph comfort seat I fitted helped a little.
But also, I find the more longer trips you do, the more you get used to it.
Oh, also, try merino wool boxer shorts. I find them much more comfortable than cotton or synthetics for long trips, especially in warmer weather.
I did get very saddle sore in Spain though, coping with up to 40deg c heat for several days in a row. Not much I could do about that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:35 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that, a slightly tighter pair of boxers helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't a part of riding your frame of mind at the time.... you don't expect a long journey and it's pain after the first hour or so?

My trusty ol' VFR (in bits) is a bike I could happily ride for 12 hours without anything more than fuel and smoke breaks.... as I found out when I decided to do a road trip for my 40th, I got from Chepstow to Oxford, got rained on for the last few miles and thought f**k that I'm just heading to Glasgow.... it rained all the way to just outside Glasgow, (by that point over 11 hours).... I stayed in Glasgow for 6 weeks then decided to head home.... and it rained all the way from Carlisle to Chepstow.

When I moved from Chepstow to Glasgow it was mid January.... oh how I missed those days where I was soaked to the skin when 30 minutes in to the journey my eyes would have watered.... if they weren't icing up instantly. My first stop (at around 80 miles), I thought I was going to have to be peeled from the seat.... on the plus side... I knew I had 300 miles left to go and no chance of turning back.... ah the good ol' days, I can laugh about them now Laughing Neutral

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very normal to get a numb bum after a long ride, back in the long distance courier work in the early 90's I would ride about 50 miles, stop for a fag break and have a walk around. Then carry on for another 50 miles. Mind you some days I was racking up over 2000 miles a week.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:06 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ridden a variety of bikes. Generally I have found upright models give me more pressure underneath than sports bikes with clip-ons.

Last edited by biker7 on 02:19 - 21 Nov 2017; edited 10 times in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:39 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trophy seat is fine for about 300 miles then it starts to hurt.

My 1200 Goldwing with king and queen seats and a proper backrest was superb. I'm sure some of that was due to footboards which allow you to move around a bit.

Other than the touring bikes I think most of mine have felt like boards after a few hours although as someone said, sheepskins are brilliant for improving the comfort.

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:32 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop a banana in your pants before you set off. That's what cyclists do.

Edit: apparently, not a banana, a banana skin.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys who ride those BMW 1200's must get a sore arse, I often see them
belting down the road whilst they stand up on the footpegs.. Saw one
this afternoon, stood up for about half a mile...

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
Guys who ride those BMW 1200's must get a sore arse, I often see them
belting down the road whilst they stand up on the footpegs.. Saw one
this afternoon, stood up for about half a mile...

It's a requirement to prove that you are a true off road rider, and not like the others that buy a GS...

While riding on paved roads. Laughing

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Cheshire to Cornwall on the bandit once, It did properly go numb after an hour, but managed to resolve it by moving my feet around on various different parts of the bike.

Lost a pair of boots that journey to the exhaust. Laughing Laughing

Oh well, they were cheap aldi ones. Smile

Cbs2
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:05 - 23 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 125 intruder killed my butt after an hour on it.
Gutted as I always fancied a cruiser when I'd passed my test.
All my lessons were on a bandit, could happily sit on that 2-3 hours without a prob.
Bought a gsx 650 instead of a cruiser & can stay on it for hours & still walk after it
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1