Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Smart watches? Worth it?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Smart watches? Worth it? Reply with quote

Simply are smart watches any good?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:06 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting one but can't justify spending xxx on another thing that wants updating all its short life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see the value for me personally. Just another gadget to faff with until the novelty wears off.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:13 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe go cheapo Chinese generic?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'smart watch' is basically a small and not-as-good mobile phone with a pointless strap so you're forced to keep it on your wrist.

But hey the concept is newer than old boring fogey mobile phones, so they must be good! One step closer to consumer enlightenment.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:58 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A watch should be a work of art, not a wrist held mini tv screen. Wifie has one for her fitshit, ugly as sin it is. I bought her a really nice normal watch which I think has been out of the case once. Evil or Very Mad

No taste my wife Whistle

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:21 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it just another thing to charge?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:03 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyguard wrote:
kgm wrote:
I don't really see the value for me personally. Just another gadget to faff with until the novelty wears off.

I agree with this post.

Buy a Casio F91-W instead.

I... wow... I agree with this post.

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:07 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
A watch should be a work of art, not a wrist held mini tv screen. Wifie has one for her fitshit, ugly as sin it is. I bought her a really nice normal watch which I think has been out of the case once. Evil or Very Mad

No taste my wife Whistle

Perhaps you don't take her out enough so she can wear it... .... ...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

You iz a cracker snack those watches are common components in things that go pop.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Pebble, and now have a Pebble Time. For a short while I had an Apple Watch as a prezzie, but the screen fucked my eyes up. Bought in the States and sold in the UK, made money when it was sold on.

The functionality of the Pebble is better if you have an Android phone, as Apple don't like to open a lot of the features to non Apple products. That said, I use mine to be made aware of incoming calls, texts, timers and appointments discreetly, and skipping tracks when the phone is paired with car radio.

It charges in about an hour from a USB port, and lasts a week. You can pick up 1st Gen Pebble on eBay for £20-25, the colour Time for around £50.

Or blow a tenner on a chinkee bluetooth jobbie, and see if you'd actually use one at all.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:41 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Smart watches? Worth it? Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Simply are smart watches any good?

Specifically, which features are you interested in?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScaredyCat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

No taste my wife Whistle

Perhaps you don't take her out enough so she can wear it... .... ...

Do you have to do that with them after you marry them? I thought it stopped with marriage, a bit like blow jobs.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty much already a moribund market, sales are declining overall, pretty much a passing fad, just s netbooks were. Shame really, as netbooks could be quite useful !

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:19 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I bought (cheap) a Samsung Galaxy watch, I used it for a couple of weeks and the novelty factor is strong initially but it’s something else to charge and it’s not really all that useful. You get a notification of a text message then get your phone out to respond. Or you get a notification about a phone call and you get your phone out to answer it... ultimately I sold it in for some prophets.

I would recommend buying something stylish and preferably Swiss that tells the time and possibly has a date function too. Dumb watch FTW.

And edit, I’m not technophobe/and am a fairly ‘early adopter’ of tech - I have just today taken delivery of my WiFi enabled kettle to go with my WiFi enabled bean to cup coffee maker and Nest thermostat & smoke/CO3 detector plus other smart tech I have in the home - the list goes on. so I am very much a fan of ‘smart’ things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Bodyguard wrote:

Buy a Casio F91-W instead.

Great little watches. They take so much abuse and never seem to die. Battery goes on almost perpetually to.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:45 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Shame really, as netbooks could be quite useful !

Thread hijack.

I've still got an Eee PC in occasional service. And once you've added a keyboard to a tablet, what have you got?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:18 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a Samsung NC10. Popped an extra gig of RAM in and it was my main PC for a couple of years Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'll stick with my Casio MW-240. Very Happy

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got a fitbit, yeah its quite nice seeing what your heart rate was doing whilst you were asleep etc

Issue i have with them, you need bluetooth on, all the time on your phone, or syncing takes about a week. My phone already has battery issues

Charging the little fucker - my Casio doesn't need charging

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:41 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old boss had one. He was a slave to it. End of story.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 123 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2