Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finally I can Update my signature! Pic Heavy lower down!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:30 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Finally I can Update my signature! Pic Heavy lower down! Reply with quote

Well finally... I have a real bike Very Happy
Really really really chuffed with it...

Kawasaki ER6F 2007 model no ABS...

Sure its no super sports I wont be winning any GP races, but its a real solid reliable well running, reasonably powered motorcycle Very Happy weeeeeeeeeeee...

Needs a tinsy bit of work done though... The tank needs repainting as the paints cracked all over and there's a crack in the fairing that I could repair, and it looks like one of the seals on the forks may have leaked. Even though it did just recently past the MOT.

But I paid 1300 for this, and ER6 bikes look like they tend to go for 2000-2500 normally when in perfect condition.

Now I just need to get my full license sorted and insurance for it (scared what it could be...)

Tomorrow I have my theory to do and then I can book the direct access... CamRiders are doing a 2 for 1 offer on the courses. So me and brother are doing it together for essentially half price... I think theirs about 2 weeks waiting for the course... But hopefully if all goes well, I might even be riding this before my renewal on the Lexmoto insurance comes up on the 18th December. Sadly i will have to at least tax the thing ... booo...

Anyway YAY I can see light at the end of the CBT shitemoto(lex) tunnel...

Last edited by NutsyUk on 15:15 - 22 Nov 2017; edited 2 times in total

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:39 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff but disabling signatures makes BCF so much better (especially if using your phone) because you don't get the walls of often multi coloured text. Thumbs Up

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:49 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ER6 is a lot sportier than it's apparent marketing target would have you think. There are several design features you wouldn't expect to find on a mid range commuter bike such as a vertically stacked engine, casette gearbox and that slightly oddball shock arrangement.

They are pretty damned quick round a track in the hands of a skilled rider.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:19 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Add possible new bearings to the list as well... Its shockingly hard to push the bike... Its rather stiff

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:22 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Oh Add possible new bearings to the list as well... Its shockingly hard to push the bike... Its rather stiff

More likely to be binding brakes.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

More likely to be binding brakes.

And the easiest way I found to test that was to remove the brake calipers and try moving the bike.... 1 caliper at a time to find the problem one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:31 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, also its no rush they could last another year no problem but the disks are a little worn too... that might be a sign of binding... will look into it more... Sadly dont do much tomorrow as im out in town for the test but Wednesday could look into that more...

One thing that i noticed thats a little odd... (design thing not fault or anything) is the running light. So turn on the bike theres a very dim running light in the headlights...

There are NO controls for the low beam lights at all... Turn engine on the Low beams turn on all the time. The only control I have is for high beam.

I know running lights are a thing but I thought running lights were meant to be low level lighting? Not just the full low angle beam?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:51 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
There are NO controls for the low beam lights at all... Turn engine on the Low beams turn on all the time. The only control I have is for high beam.

That was normal by then and is mandatory now.

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be fooled by the ER6. I did my DAS on one and a bit they have more power than can be sensibly used, especially by a new rider. I found it a bit too eager to throw me through walls and the back of cars Razz

You'll beat almost every car and a fair few bikes off the line if are so inclined. They are surprisingly nimble and pretty light. Only real downside is the lack of centre stand (none of the ones I rode had one). Right pain for servicing.

No ABS and learning to ride in the dead of winter? Good man Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
. . . im out in town for the test but Wednesday . . .

Your bike test? Shocked

NutsyUk wrote:
One thing that i noticed thats a little odd... (design thing not fault or anything) is the running light. So turn on the bike theres a very dim running light in the headlights...

I know running lights are a thing but I thought running lights were meant to be low level lighting? Not just the full low angle beam?

Same on mine: Kwak ZR7S 04.

I went form an Arrow 14 to the above. Overall it's a god send more than it is a pain: it's one less switch to faff around with. It also removes the excuse I didn't see him if you potato.

NutsyUk wrote:
pushing problems

Could just be the increase in weight. I wouldn't be a spanner, get the tools out and have a look. Manuals are easily available through google "__ PDF" or manualslib -- for most models, anyhow.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:49 - 20 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:
. . . im out in town for the test but Wednesday . . .

Your bike test? Shocked

NutsyUk wrote:

Same on mine: Kwak ZR7S 04.

I went form an Arrow 14 to the above. Overall it's a god send more than it is a pain: it's one less switch to faff around with. It also removes the excuse I didn't see him if you potato.

NutsyUk wrote:
pushing problems

Could just be the increase in weight. I wouldn't be a spanner, get the tools out and have a look. Manuals are easily available through google "__ PDF" or manualslib -- for most models, anyhow.

Theory test tomorrow :p

And yeah i think the brakes are binding a littl... can hear them rubbing when i was pushing it a little earlier...

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you intend to insure it on a provisional licence, I'll save you some time as only bikesure will do this and TPO only unless you have a garage. They'll also rape you for the privilege. Sad

The good news is, your premium will drop significantly when you're fully licensed.

It's a great bike tbh and has plenty of oomph until around 110 MPH, apparently Shifty Riding in 1st and 2nd gears can be a little interesting but 3rd and upwards make for much smoother throttle response.

Good luck with your tests Thumbs Up

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
Theory test tomorrow :p

Probably invest in a battery charger, put the bike on paddock stands and fill the tank since it wont be moving anytime soon.

ACF-50 and an all round service on the cards, might as well make use of the spare time you'll have.

I wouldn't leave anything to chance: everything I've took of mine -- consumable -- in the year I've had it has seen better days.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the wheel bearings, replace the wheel bearings, replace the wheel bearings!

Not expensive, but this bike can munch them and suddenly eject them all on a rideout. BCF Hastings one year to be precise.

As others have mentioned, it will likely be the brakes binding, wheel bearings don't really make it stiff, just incredibly grumbly. Those tokico 2 pot sliding calipers on the front are awful, they do need to be looked after.

It's not the most reliable, but it isn't unreliable. Watch out for water leaking into the coil packs, causes the band to rust and expand. Take them out (you are checking the plugs anyway?), make sure they haven't rusted and perhaps but a bit of WD40 around the metal band when you put them back in.

Exhaust manifold, can and will snap just before the collector. Check now to see if there are some dodgy welds, that is even worse.

Don't bother swapping the exhaust, all though it saves weight they are MUCH louder and not in a good way either.

It was my first big bike, picked it up in the snow, only just got rid of it after 4 years.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:37 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't fathom this obsession with buying before you're licensed, but here we are.

Don't forget to SORN it immediately, or else DVLA's collections goons will be sending you a blackmail demand.

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I can't fathom this obsession with buying before you're licensed, but here we are.

It's a young people thing. Personally I'm the kind of guy who eats the cake first, then the cherry.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:13 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it because of timing. I really REALLY dont want to renew the lexmotos insurance... if theres any chance I can get all this done before the 18th im taking it...

And yeah Ill be sorning as soon as the full v5 comes in...

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:18 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics or gtfo

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:35 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:

You can and should SORN using the number on the new keeper slip. It takes about tree minutes fiddy all in.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The question answers itself: his previous bike was an XTRS (as you now, I presume, a model known for being a friday fried potato).

I can share the pain, all the while not seeing it as a good investment, simply because another year on the Arrow would have sent me loopy.

Oh, OP.. You can do my A test if you want. Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:00 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I'm sure you can. Razz

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:34 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking from experience, you're just putting added pressure on yourself to pass the tests - and thats exactly what you need to be trying to ride without! The waiting lists for both Mods tend to be around 2-4 weeks also..

good luck however!

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:57 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed my theory Very Happy

Just got to hope my brother passes his theory this afternoon, then we can book the direct access.

I must admit there was a couple of questions that had me a little stumped but I still ended up with 48 out of 50.
In the hazard I got 60 out of 75... With one question being discounted... Stupid really it was a video with a constantly increasing hazard and i kept ticking as it increased... And when your about to have a crash i ticked a few times too and it was discounted... which was a bit shit.

Still a decent pass though Smile weeeeeeeee

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 14:59 - 21 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
NutsyUk wrote:

You can and should SORN using the number on the new keeper slip. It takes about tree minutes fiddy all in.

I would have but the guy said to wait for the main v5 because If i did it before DVLA get there paper work in the post the SORN would be reset when they do my paperwork... If thats no the case and I can use the transfer slip v5c? thing Then yeah ill do that now.

Oh and as for pics of the bike... Ill do it tomorrow... Brother and dad are heading off to town to do his test. And its going to be getting dark here soon... Ill get it out tomorrow for you lot take a couple of decentish pics

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:37 - 22 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here are some pics and a few questions....

https://i.imgur.com/84IAYNB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JHr9tk7.jpg

Having another look the brakes arent as bad as I first thought. There is about a 1mm wedge in from the outer rim. Ive tried to capture it in pictures but its not easy...
https://i.imgur.com/KOcYYIK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0PYHniY.jpg

The back sprockets a bit rough looking. Im sure its fine but its going to be a future replacement Smile
https://i.imgur.com/NLILt1z.jpg

Not sure how this happened to the radiator... Will try and straighten that, and probably fit a grill for it.
https://i.imgur.com/jYOEp3R.jpg

And yes the tank............ yes.......
It looks like the previous owner must have touched up with some unsuitable spray paint and this happened. Its not even black metallic like the original... nor glossy.
The dealership gave me second tank they had lying around. Has some rust issues down the bottom but looks better... Will see how far the rust goes but might repair that then place onto the bike... while i repaint the original tank
https://i.imgur.com/AG6CLrE.jpg

Leaky seals and some rust on the fork chrome... The rust is futher up so its not terribly urgent. But another replace down the line, must fix the leaky seal though...
https://i.imgur.com/Sf8J9Ul.jpg

Some scrappy bits of nothing in the under seat box. Kinda hoped to find basic tools :p Nope...
https://i.imgur.com/YkdK9YP.jpg

WTF IS THAT?!
Tbh my guess is its some kind of auto chain oiler? Its certainly after market. The zip ties dont even match...
https://i.imgur.com/JKuB1un.jpg

Not shown in the pictures are the handle bars that are bent and need replacing...

Nor did i take a picture of the crack in the fairing... but thats no big issue. Easy repair.

Top priority is replacing handlebar, I might also change the style of bar, not keen on the possession of the ones that are on there. Totally wrong angle...

Then fork seals, that has to be fixed.

Then brakes binding. While it rides fine, its a bitch to push. I do need to get used to the heavier weight (its not light) but it is a right bitch to push...

The brake disks themselves could probably go for another 6 months to a year maybe... So no desperate need to replace them. Im not flush with cash esp after buying this so no unnecessary costs...

The chrome forks again. Could go on for a while yet. The corrosion is more further up the tube than in the important areas. And theyre shockingly expensive to buy new too...

Now one last thing... How does one lower the bike a little? Not by much just an inch maybe... I can get both feet flat on the ground but esp with the brakes binding a little its really REALLY hard to move the bike while sitting on it.

While sure it needs a little work I still think I got a good bike for 1300... Feel free to tell me im wrong Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7