Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Finally I can Update my signature! Pic Heavy lower down!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:09 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

*points finger*

*Slaps knee*

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:41 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I think im cursed...

Well seals done forks are now back on the bike... I put the wheel with the new brake discs..... AAAAAAAAAND one is indeed warped ~Neutral
Evil or Very Mad

Theres about 1 mm of moment when you spin the disc.

Cue, hysterical laughter and finger pointing with the occasional knee slap...

Can you make a good pair out of the two sets? Have you got rid of all of the corrosion behind the disc? Did you tighten in the correct order?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:03 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Can you make a good pair out of the two sets? Have you got rid of all of the corrosion behind the disc? Did you tighten in the correct order?

the old set are just too worn, one of these new set are fine...

I could double check tomorrow that its not just needing reseating, but I did do the star point order and I was really careful about that...

Im now considdering Arashi discs... 125 quid for a set. I know there chinese but on reading online, they seem to be a good set for chinese... just thinking about it...

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 09 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend Armstrong discs - they're good stoppers and don't wear excessively. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:18 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly, wild money pit appears.

If you want to try Chinese disks, go for it, but it really can be false economy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel too downhearted, if you want to know what a money pit is, buy a boat. (BOAT, Bring On Another Thousand) Rolling Eyes

I would buy the Chinese discs if you are struggling with money, at least you will get back on the road.

Personally I would rather have new Chinese discs than second hand OEM's but it's a bit late to say that to you now.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:33 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I suggest that you don't spend another penny on it until and unless you actually have a licence to ride it.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Can I suggest that you don't spend another penny on it until and unless you actually have a licence to ride it.

Yeah but new bike is well sick m8, init.

Places a non-existing hypothetical bet of 1 penny that it never gets ridden. Sad

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Oh, btw, it's an electric scotoiler, cause it has electrical connections. Somewhere on your bike (near the bars, probably) should be a control unit.

It's not, that's a standard V System model.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:05 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Savage.

But fairly accurate.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:31 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I dont want to spend any more... And yes Get my license first before more money goes on this....

Anyway, I reseated the disc, cleaned up the place around the bolts again and its reduced the wobble some... And i thought that solved it at first. But having a second look its still a little wobble...

Ive tried to show it in this vid, what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofwWBfKylc

I think i could get away with riding with that for a while.... but not 100% sure.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:58 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

NutsyUk wrote:
I agree I dont want to spend any more... And yes Get my license first before more money goes on this....

Anyway, I reseated the disc, cleaned up the place around the bolts again and its reduced the wobble some... And i thought that solved it at first. But having a second look its still a little wobble...

Ive tried to show it in this vid, what do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofwWBfKylc

I think i could get away with riding with that for a while.... but not 100% sure.

You will soon tell when you try to ride it. Pulsating brake lever, vibration through the bars, juddering when you try to apply brakes. Binding when you push it around.

In other words, get new/another disc.

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 10 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

warped from being crashed, discs dont warm in a low speed drop unless vegetable.

new discs are needed

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despined_By_Ex wrote:
warped from being crashed, discs dont warm in a low speed drop unless vegetable.

Lol what? Laughing

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he meant "warp" not "warm".

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:10 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:

i kinda worked out that bit, I didnt understand unless vegetable?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:44 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cauliflower is the brain of the vegetable world.

#NotAllVegetables

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in any case, even if by that was meant simply something like going full retard, what warps a disc is binding, i.e. if the brake is stuck on, i.e. if the pistons do not return once the brake lever is let go of. Other issues can cause binding too (e.g. my mate's off-road bike got a small pebble stuck in some part of the calliper that prevented one of the pads returning - the disc became very hot, and eventually warped).

So it's unlikely the warp of the disc has been caused by an accident of any sort - far more likely the calliper is binding, i.e. the pistons are staying out once the lever is actuated and not allowing the pads to return. This isn't uncommon or at least it isn't if the bike is used throughout winter and sees a lot of wet, salty roads, and if the calliper is not removed from its mounting, and the pistons allowed to actuate such that their inner surfaces can be cleaned, ditto the areas around the pistons' recesses. But even then, even once cleaned, there is no guarantee that the dust seals and the fluid seals are in good repair. Perhaps their recessed seats are oxidised, causing them to sit too proud, thus inhibiting the pistons' return once the fluid pressure is released i.e. the brake lever returns to normal position. Etc.

You do have to have a bit of common sense and feel in these situations, by which I mean, if you know your bike, its weight, its rolling resistance even just as you piss about getting it in and out of the shed/garage, or if kept curbside, how it feels immediately when setting off and/or when coasting to a halt at junctions etc. Slight binding will create a warm rotor - and this isn't problematic in and of itself, except that it's causing unnecessary pad and disc wear (albeit in slight amounts) - more pertinently, it's probably symptomatic of reluctant pistons/worn seals/corrosion within the calliper - and this can usually only deteriorate, sometimes quite quickly. Then it's a whole world of pain cos your discs get so fucking hot they warp out of true, your lever's pulsing, the bike's a turd and your family get loaded onto a cattle train and transported to an internment camp in the dead of night. Shit like that.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:42 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what he meant but discs warp for a variety of reasons - I'd have thought crashing was pretty low on the list Razz

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

I knew what he meant but discs warp for a variety of reasons - I'd have thought crashing was pretty low on the list Razz

Yeah that's what he was saying - here, let me offer a brief translation - "warped from being crashed, discs dont warm in a low speed drop unless vegetable."

Warped from being crashed?!? Haha!! No fucking way - discs don't warp in a low speed drop.

FIN

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 19:12 - 11 Dec 2017; edited 1 time in total

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:37 - 11 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engage the Warm Drive, Factor 7.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c3/Worm_Gear.gif/220px-Worm_Gear.gif
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7