Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

yamaha fazer fzs 2003 igniter control unit(CDI)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:09 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: yamaha fazer fzs 2003 igniter control unit(CDI) Reply with quote

Hi,

hope some one can help, im looking at replacing my CDI unit info on the unit(J4T095 72 5DM-01 2X08) and was looking at second hand units. All the info is the same on other units except the last four digit(on my unit 2X08). My question is are any of the other units interchangable ie: 2000 model to a 2003 or 1998 to a 2003.
I cant seem to find and info to say they are or are not. :'(

thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 18:17 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think the current unit is faulty? It's rare for a CDI for fail.

oilrag
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:13 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have a TCI not CDI. The TCI on them don't fail. Have you got no spark? What is the bike doing?

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:22 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilrag wrote:
They have a TCI not CDI. The TCI on them don't fail. Have you got no spark? What is the bike doing?

Yes no spark with plug removed and ground to engine body, plug cap resistance taken all within the correct ranges.

Primary and secondary reading taken from both coils again within correct ranges.

12v being supplied to the coils when engine is turned over but no spark at the plug?

TPS wires belled back to plug at the CDI/TDI all clear

any suggestion what to test next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oilrag
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:59 - 07 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the grounds at the TCI. There's two black wires at the TCI, one is permanent ground the other one is the switched ground coming from the safety cut outs. Sometimes the switched ground doesn't make it back to the TCI because it has to go through the ignition switch and go through a loop where the alarm is fitted. If an alarm has been fitted and removed in the past the wiring can be bodged in that loop or it can frey where the wire comes out of the loom. It could also be a fault in the safety cut out relay but more likely it's in the wiring. If in doubt you can jump the two black wires to ground at the TCI and try starting it. Make sure it's not in gear.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

""12v being supplied to the coils when engine is turned over but no spark at the plug?
Are you talking a 12v pulse to the coils and no sparks on all 4 plugs?

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:05 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
""12v being supplied to the coils when engine is turned over but no spark at the plug?

yes when taking readings from both primary points(push on connectors) 12v constant but no spark at any plug.

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:14 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:

With reference to the black wires i have belled check for continuity from
TPS yellow wire to plug at TCI
TCS blue/green to plug at TCI
TCS black to plug at TCI

all are showing continuity so will move on to checking the second black loop wire you suggested.

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 12:52 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilr wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:

With reference to the black wires i have belled check for continuity from
TPS yellow wire to plug at TCI
TCS blue/green to plug at TCI
TCS black to plug at TCI

all are showing continuity so will move on to checking the second black loop wire you suggested.

Sorry silly question TCI abbreviated for ignition control unit?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:23 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transistor discharge ignition
The black box

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sums up the differences pretty well:

https://fzronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2398

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 14:11 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To re-frame the original question:

- There is no spark.

- Everything downwind of the TCI box looks like it should be working.

Places to look:
- Side stand cutout switch. Could be a red herring, I don't know the setup on your bike, but there have been a lot of threads recently where the sidestand cutout switch was faulty. Possibly related to most people not using their bikes much this year, allowing the cutout switches to seize up from lack of use, or get corroded and not make a good contact.

- Any other cutout switch. Clutch is a popular one.

- Wiring to anything in the circuit, but particularly coils - look for corrosion where the wire goes into the coil, and where the loom earths onto the frame. Also corrosion in the multi-plug on the TCI box.

- If these bits check out, it is worth testing the feed/pulse wire to the TCI to make sure the hall-effect sensor is working. Have a google on testing hall effect sensors. Should be doable with a multimeter plugged into the wires and then spinning the engine over.

Black box failure is very rare, but they often get blamed because they are a black box and very difficult to test at home. Most electrical problems come down to something being dirty or corroded.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My long gone 2004 fzs1000 had a I.C.U. & T.P.S.
The pick up coil sends a signal to the I.C.U. which supplies the ignition coils with power to produce a spark at the plugs.

oilrag
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:16 - 08 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCI stands for transistor controlled ignition. Yamaha calls it the ignitor.

Check the two black wires at the ignitor. One black wire should always have continuity with ground. The other black wire is ground from the safety cut outs. It should have continuity with ground when the side stand is up and the key is on. If there's no continuity on either of the black wires that is the problem.

You can also check the light green wire at the ignitor for continuity to ground. That's the neutral safety. When the bike is in neutral the light green wire at the igniter should have continuity with ground.

You can check for 12V at the ignitor. With the key on and the kill switch in the run position check for 12V between Red/White wire at the ignitor connector and ground.

With the key off you could check the resistance between the White/Red and Black/Blue. That would check the pick up coil resistance. The resistance spec will be in the manual.

You can ignore the TPS throttle position sensor. That only effects spark advance when the engine is running. It wouldn't cause no spark.

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:40 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

oilrag wrote:
TCI stands for transistor controlled ignition. Yamaha calls it the ignitor.

Check the two black wires at the ignitor. One black wire should always have continuity with ground. The other black wire is ground from the safety cut outs. It should have continuity with ground when the side stand is up and the key is on. If there's no continuity on either of the black wires that is the problem.

You can also check the light green wire at the ignitor for continuity to ground. That's the neutral safety. When the bike is in neutral the light green wire at the igniter should have continuity with ground.

You can check for 12V at the ignitor. With the key on and the kill switch in the run position check for 12V between Red/White wire at the ignitor connector and ground.

With the key off you could check the resistance between the White/Red and Black/Blue. That would check the pick up coil resistance. The resistance spec will be in the manual.

You can ignore the TPS throttle position sensor. That only effects spark advance when the engine is running. It wouldn't cause no spark.

Hi

Thanks for the info i have worked my way through the checklist.
I have checked the main black wire and that is showing continuity .
1. side stand switch and wiring checked, making and breaking(ohms and continuity) with side stand in up /down position. Wiring traced back to tci plug and checked showing continuity.
2. wiring checked for neutral switch, again showing continuity.(plug to switch)plug to tci plug checked for continuity and resistance again showing clear.
3.red/white wire checked for 12v again showing 12v as required.(at tci plug)
4.coil feed wires orange, grey, red/black check for 12v at the coils, 12v at coils
5. coil primary wiring traced back to tci plugs, tested for continuity and resistance all clear.
6.Unsure how to test the near ground wire(black) but i suspect this to be the problem as process of elimination leaves noting else to test, unless someone can think of any think else.

There was a suggestion to jump the two black wires to ground and check, how do i do it with the tci connected.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:46 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered the pickup coil(s)?

(I say coil(s) because later fz and all fzrs had a single coil but I don't know about an fzs.)

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:09 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Have you considered the pickup coil(s)?

(I say coil(s) because later fz and all fzrs had a single coil but I don't know about an fzs.)

I did check the pick up coil and was getting if i remember correctly around 190 ohms. not sure what my range is as im still trying to find it.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 13 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alarm fitted? If so, that's where to look first.
I'd definitely check the pickup. Had to buy a new one for my BMW last week.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Neilr
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 13:34 - 14 Feb 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Alarm fitted? If so, that's where to look first.
I'd definitely check the pickup. Had to buy a new one for my BMW last week.

Hi

I've check my pick up coil and its reading just over 197 ohms, this seem quite high but I've been unable to find the specs for resistance and output(pulse from pickup)to tci.

Does anyone know what the specification are i should be looking at.

thanks
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 74 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1