Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dip stick oil level

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:44 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Dip stick oil level Reply with quote

Stupid question this, but ive always had bikes with sight glasses....

when checking oil levels with a dip stick, do you remove said dipstick, wipe it clean then rescrew it in then remove to check level

or just remove it, wipe it an push it back in (so its sitting unscrewed in)

if that makes sense??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually lightly screw it back in when checking the level.
I’ve not had any issues using that method Thumbs Up

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:06 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the manufacturer.
On my, admittedly 30+ year old, Honda the level is taken with the dip stick NOT screwed in, just resting in place!

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, depends on manufacturer. I've had one of both, ie screw all the way in and then unscrew to check, and one where manual says to rest it on top.

Need to check manual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
On my, admittedly 30+ year old, Honda the level is taken with the dip stick NOT screwed in, just resting in place!

This +1

You wouldn't believe how many people take false readings, then overfilling or underfilling their engines, because they had a mate, that had a mate who told a mate........

Also check wether the manual say you take the measurement on the side stand, or main stand or with the both wheels on the ground and the motorcycle being level (CB-1 and also not screwed in).

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

err right ok, just checked it with it screwed in (bike is on center stand) an its just touching the bottom of the stick Shocked Shocked

So if its not to be screwed in, the oil level is even lower

Bike is Honda Blackbird

just read its not screwed in... fack!

going to go an hunt around work an see if anyone has any oil

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When is the oil change due? If soon, just drain it and put in the right amount of oil (read the manual).

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on dropping the oil on Sunday, but worried now the engine is basically dry

Im going to go the garage an get a litre of oil to throw in

cheers all Thumbs Up

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You measuring it cold or just after a run?

Far as I understand it you'll need to let it settle before taking a measurement.

On the Arrow I used to go for 3 / 4 x's on the dipstick out of 5; I doubt they're overly accurate.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the majority of screw in dip sticks measure the oil level while resting on the threads, not screwed in.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

/\/\ This.

Some have to be screwed fully in and some just on the thread but not turned into the thread.

O.E.M. Books or website is a good place to start.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:14 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out at lunch time an measured again, an the level seemed higher?

The bike had been sat for at least 2 hours the first time I measured etc.

After checking an hour later the oil seemed to be halfway up the dip stick?!

very odd, bike hasnt moved or anything

I bought a litre of cheap oil from local garage to get me home, which i will drop on sunday anyways

Oh an just read my manual an it says check on centre stand, with the stick unscrewed in

cheers

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the motorcycle level, horizontally? If you lean it a few millimeters left, it'll show much less and a few right, it'll show a lot more on the dipstick.

I used to measure the oil this way:
1) put it on the side stand (bike leaned left)
2) the dipstick off + clean it + put it back (it's still leaned left, so no oil touches the dipstick yet)
3) balance the motorcycle, horizontally (now you're getting the measurements)
4) put it back on the side stand (gently put it on the sidestand)
5) the dipstick off and read the value

Always got the correct measurement. Be careful not to lean the motorcycle right when balancing it, that would splash the dipstick, just as I was telling you about in the first paraghrap.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:43 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just change it, remove oil and filter, replace with what manual tells you and run for a few minutes. Let it settle and test again. Use that as your reading next time, with it in or out. At that point you know where it 'should' be

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 24 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on Manufacturer. Last 2 bikes, dipstick lightly seated, not screwed in. The 125 cruiser, screwed down until you feel reesistance.

Read your manual.

janner_10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Just change it, remove oil and filter, replace with what manual tells you and run for a few minutes. Let it settle and test again. Use that as your reading next time, with it in or out. At that point you know where it 'should' be

This. Quite literally a 10 minute job.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Dip stick oil level Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
Stupid question this, but ive always had bikes with sight glasses....

when checking oil levels with a dip stick, do you remove said dipstick, wipe it clean then rescrew it in then remove to check level

or just remove it, wipe it an push it back in (so its sitting unscrewed in)

if that makes sense??

I just remove, wipe, drop in.... however I always check my levels in the garage because of the perfect flat surface.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always despite what the Keyboard wariers say better overfull than under
Bikes have had good breather systems and have not had an overpressure problem since the 1960's !

Yes I am a trained mechanic (Suzuki) that has worked it or run a workshop since the 1970's

Me I run my FZ6 cub 90 and previous bike at least 10% over full il is cheaper than engine repairs

Never seen overfill dammage seen lots damaged by too little!!

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebike wrote:
Always despite what the Keyboard wariers say better overfull than under
Bikes have had good breather systems and have not had an overpressure problem since the 1960's !

Yes I am a trained mechanic (Suzuki) that has worked it or run a workshop since the 1970's

Me I run my FZ6 cub 90 and previous bike at least 10% over full il is cheaper than engine repairs

Never seen overfill dammage seen lots damaged by too little!!

That's exactly why there is the MIN and MAX notch on the glass/dipstick. Running low on oil isn't about someone not puting in enough. It's about oil consumption. How much is too much is stated in your owner's manual. Just because you overfill it you won't cure the issue.

In a car engine the difference between the MIN and MAX notch may be even 2L+ of oil and some cars do actually require refilling as you go and you wouldn't possibly be able to overfill the engine so the oil would last to the next oil change (Mazda petrol engines).

The issue with oil consumption is, it may vary + may also drastically change to worse as your engine ages, due to various reasons, internal and external oil leaks.

Yes, you are a trained mechanic, I do believe that. But your views seem very ''I don't give a feck, it works'' and that's never good.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 147 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1