Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pinlock steaming up. Any ideas?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried rotating the pins (they are not symmetrical, so can be used to change the tension). Also, give the pinlock and visor a wash with mild soap and water. That can make the silicone bead sticky again.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:10 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open face; does that mean an open face helmet is what you're riding in or full face with the visor open?

I'd expect it this time of year: pinlocks are better than not having one but each helmet has its limits before it gives in.

I ride with the visor as low as it will go without being locked on slow 30 mph city roads and then click it shut on anything faster or where traffic constantly moves.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:23 - 25 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotating pins usually works for me. The cheaper lids don't always work as well as quality models in my experience.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue on my last helmet. Cleaning the pinlock in warm soapy water leaving to dry and then fiddling with the pins did the job perfectly for me.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you open the visor flat when you fitted the pinlock?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:34 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

In extremis, I'd run a smear of vaseline over the silicone to try and get a full seal. I may go and do that now, actually.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Did you open the visor flat when you fitted the pinlock?

That's the one, IME.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:58 - 26 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It smells like either the insert is not mounted/aligned in the visor properly
The pins need turned in their holes or worse the silicone bead is Kaput and has a rip of a tiny bit missing. They can get damaged if not treated with some care when removed for cleaning/swapping.

When fitted properly they do not Mist. I ride in sub zero and never notice misting (if the insert is fitted properly)

The pins are normally a bit tight and can take a fair push to get them loose enough to turn. They will tighten again in use though after you adjust the tension.

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:21 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help the pinlock out with a respro foggy mask to keep the area behind the visor sealed and wet breath off of it.

"Regular" pinlocks on my old HJC FG15 and current AGV K3SV are very sensitve to position and pin tention. Also prone to peeling off or mocing if riding with visor open or stationary in strong wind. More recent "MAX" inserts (as tried on Shark Speed R & Skwal and HJC RPHA-ST) seem to be very reliable and stay put.

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - on my Shark Speed R I found that I needed a foggy as well as the pinlock in very poor winter conditions. Also the chin curtains on my Shark or Schuberth seem to be pretty much a waste of time - yes, they keep your face a bit warmer, but lower the ventilation so it overloads the pinlock and you still end up steamed up.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:30 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
AGV K3SV are very sensitve [sic] to position and pin tention. Also prone to peeling off or mocing [sic] if riding with visor open or stationary in strong wind.

Interesting I liked my K3 SV when I used it but ripped the pinlock at the edge with the pin and couldn't be arsed to buy a replacement; provides a long lost answer as to why it was slipping for so long and what caused it.

talkToTheHat wrote:
More recent "MAX" inserts (as tried on Shark Speed R & Skwal and HJC RPHA-ST) seem to be very reliable and stay put.

Have both - I make it sound like I have a bike gear shop in my house. Laughing

RPHA-ST I returned the first one due to bad fogging issues in adverse weather at city speeds and then purchased another one: still fogs up in the cold weather but not as bad as first one was (probably faulty but they -- J&S -- wouldn't tell me as much).

Skwal I can't say, has a nice wide visor but shell size is too big -- I never learn <sadface.gif> (should probably sell, offers welcome).

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:58 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly my shark helmet started misting ever so slightly at the top last night in the torrential ice rain.

Took linseed out at home, wiped both it and the visor with a dry cloth, refitted it whilst holding the visor flat...

All sorted 👍

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wore my K3SV at an indoor kart track a few nights ago. Despite it being the lid with all the vents and pinlock in I was steaming up worse than everyone else in loaner LS2 lids. I wonder whether the lawnmower karts just weren't fast enough to get a good airflow.

My old FG-15 used to get water behind it after riding in particularly nasty conditions so I'd take it of and dry it, maybe I need to do this on current pinlocks? I think I got lazy with switching between lids rather than doing a planned full clean when I knew I wouldn't be riding again in a hurry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 120 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1