BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Intro and touring bike advice!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:30 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having toured extensively on an FJR1300 for the last few years it would normally be my first recommendation but given your lack of big bike experience it's probably too much.

I recently bought a V-Strom 1000. Extremely comfy for both rider and passenger, more than enough grunt for touring 2 up and will easily carry loads of luggage. It handles, brakes and the big V twin engine is superb. If I didn't have my old trusty FJR I would have no hesitation using the Suzuki for European trips.

Alternatively, as has also been suggested - V-Strom 650. I've never ridden one but they are highly regarded and also very capable, 2 up touring bikes.

Both the V-Stroms return good MPG if day to day running costs are a major consideration. New V-Stroms are relatively cheap to buy in comparison with the FJR's, BMW's etc.. and this is reflected in the second hand market. Try and get one with luggage included.

Edit..Cruisers don't make good touring bikes. People do tour on them but if you want fun try something else. I can easily do 500 fun miles on twisty roads in a day on both my FJR or V-Strom. Couldn't imagine doing it on a cruiser.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:42 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are tall a TDM would be perfect. You should be able to get a nice example for sub £5K with luggage.

However I'd go for a tracer instead. Nothing really changed on the TDM since it's 2002 introduction(Why change perfection? Razz ). £2k more for a bike design 10 years newer is a no brainer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15-REG-YAMAHA-TRACER-900-WITH-FULL-LUGGAGE-AND-FULL-SERVICE-HISTORY/152691811295?hash=item238d2423df:g:9NsAAOSwXq5Zsu5h

Personally I find ~600's aren't ideal for 2 up touring. They'll do it but always felt sluggish to me with the extra weight.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

However I'd go for a tracer instead.

But dat Brixton bruv - hood ratz massiv.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:30 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
If you are tall a TDM would be perfect.

Finger hovers over "redundant"... Razz

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:49 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chris-red wrote:
If you are tall a TDM would be perfect.

Finger hovers over "redundant"... Razz

Laughing

Don't knock it till ya tried it, I couldn't wait to return the Hire 1250 Blandit after a Crash and get back on my TDM

I genuinely believe the engine is one of the best for the road. It ain't the most powerful, but torque, area under the graph, usability etc. etc.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but how tall are you - I think that was the point.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

davo84
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:40 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
chris-red wrote:

However I'd go for a tracer instead.

But dat Brixton bruv - hood ratz massiv.

Yah, I'd be veeeery worried with that one Very Happy

As of height, I'm not tall, but at 5'10 I wouldn't say too short either, TDM should be alright!

https://imgur.com/a/y0Es9
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 105 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2