Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Mini lowside, replcae helmet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 10:31 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Mini lowside, replcae helmet? Reply with quote

I had a little low side yesterday on a greasy cold roundabout when my front wheel when over a small collection of potholes. Was going about 20mph and my head hit the floor.

I know I need to replace my helmet but is there a way of knowing how compressed the foam is now? I've heard of people x-raying helmets but I don't want to spend money finding out, just intrigued.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:36 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your head, your life, however I'm still using my 4 year old twice crashed lid. I've had others but it's the comfiest and best fitting helmet I've got. Nothing has come close to the comfort so I continue to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:10 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tough one. If it is compressed, I expect it'll be under the shell where there's no way of telling. If it's on the side, that's where protection tends to come up worst on the SHARP tests.

I'm about 50:50 on whether to say "don't be foggit, keep" and "don't be Bodyguard, replace".

What I would say is don't fall for the sunk costs fallacy. You don't have to keep a mullered lid just because it cost £400, when a fresh £50 one is likely to protect you as well or better.

mrbox
Wonderwall

PostPosted: 12:36 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
What I would say is don't fall for the sunk costs fallacy. You don't have to keep a mullered lid just because it cost £400, when a fresh £50 one is likely to protect you as well or better.

This is me Embarassed

10 year old Arai Quantam F been in two crashes... just about to spend £400 on some paint and powder coating for the bike and I look at a new arai and think HOW MUCH!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:01 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Mini lowside, replcae helmet? Reply with quote

BillyJ wrote:
I've heard of people x-raying helmets but I don't want to spend money finding out, just intrigued.

AFAIK it's either a manufacturer service or something they do at events. Personally my rule's dropped the helmet = fine, crashed/banged head then replace. Paddy's a special case Smile

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:05 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad dropped my £600 (at the time, not including the paint job on it) Simpson Bandit from the top of a wardrobe - Visible flat spot, and replaced without question.
Most others I've had have had small drops or bangs. None have been replaced because of those small bangs etc, either proper road slides, or just old/worn.

jakebrownbass
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:25 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoei will test a helmet after an accident to tell you how bad/if any damage happened........

.......but it does destroy the helmet.

BillyJ
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:38 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice!

It was an nxr so 400ish quid 😔

Found a cyber monday sale so managed to buy the same one for 240ish.

Hopefully I don't crash on the side of my head again in the next 2 days!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:45 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Mini lowside, replcae helmet? Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
Paddy's a special case Smile

Nah I do this too.

My first helmet went down more times than a dollar ho. I kept it for several years. I bought a shark. It's been down five maybe six times? I found shark changed the shape very slightly and new ones don't quite fit right either.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the advice above is given by a man who had to be told to protect his genitals whilst stood atop of an exploding device. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

adam277
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:17 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a work helmet that I often dropped on the pavement when my hands were full.
I often threw it about or at people for a laugh.
It marks everywhere. Was still comfortable though. Lasted like 3 years.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Note the advice above is given by a man who had to be told to protect his genitals whilst stood atop of an exploding device. Razz

Good point well put

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:44 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a lid hits the ground with a head or reasonable immitation thereof inside it's probably done for.

I try not to buy helmets I can't afford to replace and prefer have a spare. I did have a spree of going through them rather fast. Plenty of lids with 4 or 5 sharp stars at reasonable prices. The trick is getting one that doesn't eat visors, has good ventilation and most importantly *that fits well in a riding position*

Lord Percy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:15 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suspect the helmet replacement idea is a con sold to us by the helmet industry or - worse - it was an idea put forward by one of those middle-management types who needed to justify his job by talking absolute bollocks at a particularly crucial health and safety regulations meeting.

Imagine if everything ever had to be replaced every time it did the thing it was meant to do.

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
I strongly suspect the helmet replacement idea is a con sold to us by the helmet industry or - worse - it was an idea put forward by one of those middle-management types who needed to justify his job by talking absolute bollocks at a particularly crucial health and safety regulations meeting.

You would have thought it but we had a helmet we threw at the wall. On cutting it in half for demonstration purposes there is clearly a compressed area where it hit the wall.

Personally I would say its your head so your choice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:37 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:
Imagine if everything ever had to be replaced every time it did the thing it was meant to do.

What a helmet is meant to do is to self-destructively reduce the impulse of one impact, once.

I don't know if you covered concepts like that on your HND, so I can explain it using units of moment-of-heli-gyroscope if that would help.

chrisdubya
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:53 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakebrownbass wrote:
Shoei will test a helmet after an accident to tell you how bad/if any damage happened........

.......but it does destroy the helmet.

Interesting. How does one go about this and does it cost?

I came off my bike at Oulton and landed on my head destroying my Shoei (visible paint/helmet damage) and told I wasnt allowed back on track until I bought a new lid (went to J&S & bought an AGV K4 for £120).

Be interesting to see how much damage was done to the lid!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:19 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisdubya wrote:
I came off my bike at Oulton and landed on my head destroying my Shoei (visible paint/helmet damage) and told I wasnt allowed back on track until I bought a new lid (went to J&S & bought an AGV K4 for £120).!

Wow, I just went on track with my battered to fuck helmet Laughing Didn't seem to say anything or care, thats Brands though.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmets are designed for single use. Whether it be 20mph or 50mph.

I wouldnt risk it for the sake of even £200 if you want to spend that much. Im sure potatoes would spend £200 to get their brain damage gone.

ScottT
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:21 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Like condom's

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Percy wrote:

Like women.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

What a helmet is meant to do is to self-destructively reduce the impulse of one impact, once.

Um not really. Years ago McGee a BCFer broke one of his helmets. He decided to see how well it would fair against a gun. IIRC he used a 1911 and 45ACP. It took a whole magazine it eventually broke after the 2nd or 3rd magazine.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:48 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Um not really. Years ago McGee a BCFer broke one of his helmets. He decided to see how well it would fair against a gun. IIRC he used a 1911 and 45ACP. It took a whole magazine it eventually broke after the 2nd or 3rd magazine.

Not really a good test unless he was wearing the helmet at the time. Laughing

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 01:09 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

So? The helmet doesn't have to break to stop giving protection, once the impact adsorption of the polystyrene has been expended (when it is compressed) the helmet is no longer useful. It's just a thin shell that will directly conduct the impact into your head. Whether its intact or not is of marginal importance at that point.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:38 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Damn, the SHARP test has gotten tough.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2