Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Commuting long distances

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Commuting long distances Reply with quote

Anybody else feel like commuting 100+ miles a day on the bike, just to save time and money* gets a bit tiring and annoying?

I have a car: an mx-5 which will get 25-30mpg on a steady motorway cruise which makes my 110 mile a day journey about £6.50 a day more expensive than using the bike*. I can't really justify this extra expense over taking the bike.

The rain and cold have been pissing me off recently as has the wind which on the motorway at 70+ can get really shite and they have just started salting the roads. There is also the traffic to contend with which i can get around most of the time by leaving a bit earlier and later in the evenings. Not to mention the occasional close call and the feeling i get that being on a bike in the pissing rain when i can't see 25 feet in front of me that the motorway at speed is not the right place to be

I had no intention of 'putting the bikes away for the winter' but my mother has just offered me, for free Laughing, a 1.2 corsa B with 40k on the clock, MOT'd until April next year. It should get 45 to the gallon on this run so i am considering using it as a winter beater... Insurance is cheapish as is the tax..Seems like the obvious thing to do no? Cheap beater car until the weather improves?

*not taking into account C&S, tyres etc etc

Last edited by pompousporcupine on 16:38 - 27 Nov 2017; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:38 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Commuting long distances Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
I had no intention of 'putting the bikes away for the winter' but my mother has just offered me, for free Laughing, a 1.2 corsa B with 40k on the clock, MOT'd until April next year. It should get 45 to the gallon on this run so i am considering using it as a winter beater... Insurance is cheapish as is the tax..Seems like the obvious thing to do no? Cheap beater car until the weather improves?

*not taking into account C&S, tyres etc etc

Yes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

To some degree, it depends on what your journey is like .. For me, I have to negotiate, the M6/M5 junction, M6 past Birmingham, and the M6/M42 junctions in particular, and being able to filter makes a hell of a difference. Although, I have started to consider, when heavy rain is forecast, I may use the car. As for snow, ice, wind, sun and below freezing temps, well none of that bothers me Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:59 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the car. I would, if parking were cheaper.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Commuting long distances Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
Anybody else feel like commuting 100+ miles a day on the bike, just to save time and money* gets a bit tiring and annoying?

It depends, as a younger man I commuted from Falmouth to Plymouth everyday on an unfaired bike (the only exception being an XJ600. I didn't have a choice in the matter though! I ended up moving to Plymouth 5 months later.

OTOH if I had say a Pan Euro or an FJR I wouldn't mind doing such a trek today.

Other than that it's a bit of a false economy in everything other than time. As you wear out your tyres, pads, chain (if you have one) and at both ends you spend time warming up.

I'm pretty sure the gas I spent on hot showers/food after getting home at 7pm outweighed any petrol savings. Though the old NTV and XJ600 did around 50mpg and petrol was 74p a litre.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for use the bitchmobile

But only if the cost saving isn’t countered by the aggro of having to sit in traffic and or parking issues at the end...

I personally take the bike because I’ll be damned if I’m sitting in another 5 hour motorway accident again.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
100 miles plus is the difference here.

My commute at stupid am or pm (nearly always in shit weather) is only 12 miles so is neither here nor there. If I had to do 100 miles plus a day in similar weather at similar times then the car would be tempting. But if it means your journey time being significantly increased then that adds another factor. How's the traffic?

Why, my commute is 120 mile round trip, my biggest bane is the prospect of arriving at the office soaked, which even with some decent waterproofs, is still quite probable, I'm less concerned if the forecast is dry on the way into work, but rain on the way home.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move.

You are spending 2 or more hours a day just going to and from work.

Fuck. That. Shit.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Move.

You are spending 2 or more hours a day just going to and from work.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Not always possible, partner in work, own the house, teenager in school, hardly fair to disrupt them, when it's not they who took the job !!

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only moved house 12 months ago but worked where i do before the move and the job pays the bills so has to stay this way for 6 months to a year.. got a wedding in March and some student loan/credit debt to pay off which after April/May next year will be a thing of the past. I will move job before i move house

Traffic.. is hit n miss. Its Swindon to Reading, so M4 all the way basically. The last few months have been fine.. i filter when i really don't need to as the traffic is built up but moving. What time i leave in the morning/evening makes the most difference to the traffic unless there has been a crash and the road is closed.. Filtering is something i will miss if i drive.

No parking issues. I have my own designated space too which is nice...

Its the weather/elements that gets me mainly. IF its sunny (and it changes by the feking minute it seems) then i will ride..
The bike is going to need new tyres in the next 1000 miles which works out to £210 fitted as well which is cash i don't have to hand coming up to Christmas. I started commuting because it was cheaper than the car and less hassle than the bicycle but that original journey was 15 miles a day.. Now it is 110 a day and whilst the fuel consumption is better and its a lot more 'fun' most of the time, the tyres/C&S, brakes, bearings etc etc are costing a lot

What i need now is some FREE money... like a lotto win so i can retire somewhere how and not have to worry about the daily grind
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:12 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:

You're one of these contentious fuckers that makes an argument of nothing (see above and other threads). Anyway what part of my post was directed at you?

Actually, no, not really at all, but, it was on the thread, and you said it's distance that matters, whereas for me, it's more traffic, then weather before distance comes into it. Everybody is different, which is good, but perhaps if you'd have said, that for you it's distance that matters.

As regards moving, as I said, it's not always possible, when I was younger and single, moving was easy, not that's no longer the case, which I suspect is the same for many more people on here.

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life is too short to commute that far. I’d rather be on the dole

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:31 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, if you do insist on doing it, you need something that uses the fiat/Vauxhall 1.3 litre td engine. I get 70mpg from my panda. It might be shit. But it has a heater, roof and rain pal for the rain

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was commuting a similar distance, Portishead/Clevedon to Swindon, 112 miles a day, I bought an Audi A6 avant 1.9tdi for the job. I get 44mpg (actual), it's massive when I need it for a run to the tip or a British holiday (dog in the boot), it's warm and comfy. It cost me £2k with 120k on the clock. It's now on 161k and has been fault free minus a battery.

I have a Deauville now for a shorter commute, 50miles a day, but i still drive when I can't be assed to get booted up.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move or change job

Anything over a half hour commute is shit

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commuted 20 miles each way all year round, wasn't too bad, wouldn't want to do 50 or more though. Shocked

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:39 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking at the possibility of a 50 mile each way commute soon... hour 20 minutes it seems... D:

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not convinced 25 kpa is ever going to be economically viable on a bike, unless you're very well paid, or your car is ridiculously expensive to run.

I'm doing slightly more than half that and, although the bike gives me better mpg, I would be doing 3-4 oil and filter changes, a couple of sets of tyres, plus whatever else goes, like bearings, fork seals, brakes etc; and I don't have to worry about C&S sets.

On the other hand, my Merc will need one full service a year (less than 100 quid in parts) a set of tyres maybe every other year (for less than one pair of decent bike rubber) and everything else is going to have a life of 3 years plus.

Adding in the sheer discomfort of riding through the Winter (I'm an old fart now) and I would take the free Corsa, leaving the bike for when the weather gets better.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:07 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

pompousporcupine wrote:
What time i leave in the morning/evening makes the most difference to the traffic unless there has been a crash and the road is closed.. Filtering is something i will miss if i drive.

That.

The traffic on and around whichever Reading motorway junction it is will take so much longer in a car than on a bike. Laughing
ZX-7R This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:
What time i leave in the morning/evening makes the most difference to the traffic unless there has been a crash and the road is closed.. Filtering is something i will miss if i drive.

That.

The traffic on and around whichever Reading motorway junction it is will take so much longer in a car than on a bike. Laughing

and it sucks on a bike, from my experience today Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:46 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

inb4 Rainpal®

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:47 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fucking piece of shit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 141 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2