BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Commuting long distances

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:47 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuuuuck that, you's are all mental with these long commutes especially on bikes. It would make me miserable, that time could be spent with your family or on overtime to fund more bike parts.

But aye, go for the car. Low mileage on a Corsa B doesn't mean it'll be trouble free mind, but they can be fixed with a potato and a hammer pretty much.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate has a corsa 1.3d for sale if op is interested

still wouldn't waste my life going backwards and forwards to work though
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I'm not convinced 25 kpa is ever going to be economically viable on a bike, unless you're very well paid, or your car is ridiculously expensive to run.

I'm doing slightly more than half that and, although the bike gives me better mpg, I would be doing 3-4 oil and filter changes, a couple of sets of tyres, plus whatever else goes, like bearings, fork seals, brakes etc; and I don't have to worry about C&S sets.

On the other hand, my Merc will need one full service a year (less than 100 quid in parts) a set of tyres maybe every other year (for less than one pair of decent bike rubber) and everything else is going to have a life of 3 years plus.

Adding in the sheer discomfort of riding through the Winter (I'm an old fart now) and I would take the free Corsa, leaving the bike for when the weather gets better.

This.

My commute is about to go from 25 miles each way to 50 miles each way.
I currently use my bike most days, but it's a naked bike and two hours a day is going to be too much. I'd rather get up an hour earlier and sit my car getting 55mpg with a cup of coffee and heated seats. Especially at this time of year.
Commuting long distances is crap, but for me this contract is worth the effort for the money and the experience I can then put on my cv.

EDIT: What's your tank range, and do you like visiting petrol stations on your bike?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:37 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sittingbourne to Chelsea on a daily basis riding my CBF600 Naked.

I can deal with the cold and rain....
wear more layers and get decent gear.

what I could not deal with is sitting in a car going 3 mph for hours on end, yesterday it was solid from the start of the A2 until past the M25 junction, how long to do that in a car ?

my current gig ends in January and i will be looking for something more towards the east or more towards the higher ££££.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:05 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP needs a diesel Yaris.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tank range, on a good day is 170ish miles before the light comes on.. so 3 trips. Fuel is costing me £10-£12 a day on average and on the Thundercat i can sit at 90mpg the entire way and still get 48-50 to the gallon. Ridiculous really as it makes very little difference if i cruise at 70.. i might get 55 to the gallon but it costs me my sanity.

I have accepted the free Corsa and insured it from Friday so i'l give it a go.. its an old banger, faded red on steelies etc but it has been well enough serviced and has low mileage.
Yes, sitting is traffic is shiiiiiiit and was the primary reason for me learning to ride in the first place(other than it being cool AF) but i feel like i'm fighting a battle that will get increasingly difficult the longer it goes on..

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
pompousporcupine wrote:
What time i leave in the morning/evening makes the most difference to the traffic unless there has been a crash and the road is closed.. Filtering is something i will miss if i drive.

That.

The traffic on and around whichever Reading motorway junction it is will take so much longer in a car than on a bike. Laughing

Yep. I filter all the way to the front and get in at the last minute. Anyone getting off at junction 11 can sit there for ages going nowhere. I come off at 10 going into Winnersh

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:46 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filtering , cold/wet Vs jams, warm/dry. Depending on the weather, I'd bike commute of choice. I like to keep moving.

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:10 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
To some degree, it depends on what your journey is like .. For me, I have to negotiate, the M6/M5 junction, M6 past Birmingham, and the M6/M42 junctions in particular, and being able to filter makes a hell of a difference. Although, I have started to consider, when heavy rain is forecast, I may use the car. As for snow, ice, wind, sun and below freezing temps, well none of that bothers me Laughing

We've probably passed like filtering ships in the night, I do a similar route if I decide to take the M6 to/from work.

It's shit and if I had a car licence the bike would be staying put, the extra 20-30 minutes sat in the car in the warm and dry is no great issue especially as it means arriving wherever I'm going without having to factor in changing/warming up time also means I can go more than a day without visiting a fucking petrol station.

I've just had to give in and run the wiring for my heated gloves through my jacket so I'm extra bitter this evening Laughing

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

always use the bike.. though this time of year im thinking the car is a better option... commute is only 14 miles each way but its either a longer way on a piss boring A road past the busy docks.. or shitty twisty country roads... twistys great on bike but cold.. traffic is a prick on there so a car would suck, my 20 minute commute would turn to 40 minutes. so currently still on 2 wheels but when the mega cold hits ill jack it in

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided 4 deg c is the decider for car v bike, after a full on moto x foot down save on ice a few weeks ago.

I use the waze app to mitigate against traffic, works as well as can be expected.
Don't bother filtering in a car though, unless you're in Russia.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OUk4LxF5nzw

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
You fucking piece of shit.

Does your mother know you do this?

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:29 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I've decided 4 deg c is the decider for car v bike

Weather on my phone said it was -1 this morning.
i have been at work 30 min's and I'm still wearing all my base layers.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinK98 wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I've decided 4 deg c is the decider for car v bike

Weather on my phone said it was -1 this morning.
i have been at work 30 min's and I'm still wearing all my base layers.

Around 30 mins for me, so cold not really a problem. It's the ice-ice baby.

I felt sorry for the biker who had a bit of a slide on this morning, while I followed at a safe distance inside my warm cocoon. He teetered off round the corner then I floored it with the winter tyres on. No doubt, other than filtering, bikes are slower this time of year.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
Ste wrote:
You fucking piece of shit.

Does your mother know you do this?

That was his mother, Ste had gone to bed.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:23 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I've decided 4 deg c is the decider for car v bike, after a full on moto x foot down save on ice a few weeks ago.

Aye. At 10C, average windchill will take it down to around zero, which is OK for my half hour commute, and my fingers are still usable with just winter gloves on. Don't need anything on under my work trousers, and I just wear a fleece over my workshirt. Any lower and the comfort starts going out the window, and more layers are needed.

A lot depends on how damp it's been the previous night though, I can handle cold as long as it's dry. If I look out the window and there's ice on the windscreen of the car, I'm taking the car.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Aye. At 10C, average windchill will take it down to around zero, which is OK for my half hour commute, and my fingers are still usable with just winter gloves on. Don't need anything on under my work trousers, and I just wear a fleece over my workshirt. Any lower and the comfort starts going out the window, and more layers are needed.

A lot depends on how damp it's been the previous night though, I can handle cold as long as it's dry. If I look out the window and there's ice on the windscreen of the car, I'm taking the car.

I once wrote two cars off on a man made ice patch. Ironically while heading home after driving round all night long looking for snow to 'test my winter driving prowess' (basically fuck around doing handbrake turns).

Guy in front hits an icy patch, skids into bollards, me then into the back of him.

Kwik save guys watching adjacent kindly chucked salt down afterwards.

Only found out after the event they'd hosed down the junction and waited for it to freeze coz they were bored.

There's also run off from drenched poorly drained fields around the parts where I traverse.

That, and the waste water run off from your friendly eastern European run car wash / money laundering machine puts me off.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:53 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

That was his mother, Ste had gone to bed.

Posting dubious images and now spouting call centre Adam's sales patter filthages.

Will she ever create her own account? Then Ste could be mod, and would be allowed to post images again. She's got a lot to answer for.

pompousporcup...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:25 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yes.. I checked the forcast this morning and it was 0 degrees when i left. It was dry though but still frozen 15 minutes in even with the heated grips on 50% (anything above that just burns your hands)

If its below 3 or 4 degrees i'm going to take the car like above. If there is ice on the windscreen then the car is getting used.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:38 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping a Googledoc of all the days this year when the Cooncil has reneged on their duty to grit my road and I've been taking the car. They'll be getting an invoice in the spring for the difference in costs at HMRC mileage rates.

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
That, and the waste water run off from your friendly eastern European run car wash / money laundering machine puts me off.

The one that keeps trying to kill me is of the الله أكبر variant.

I had an epic bum squeaker locking up the rear on the racebike outside it even before wintron, from the amount of sudsy oily effluent it discharges onto the public highway.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2