BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 19:33 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

So it finally happened to me too yesterday (Sunday), 6 cunts on bikes tried nick my R6 when me and the GF went to get some doughnuts at Krispy Kreme in Enfield.

6:40pm we're in there having some coffee and then hear a burnout from an R1, and some other bikes making a bit of noise. Vaguely start to hear my alarm and then clock what's happening, we both run outside and by the time I get to the door of Krispy Kreme I see my bike on the floor and 6 cunts disappear from the car park. I didn't have any security on the bike at the time, we just got back from a ride out and only stopped for about 5 minutes to get a hot drink before I was going to drop her home.

Steering lock is fucked, crash bungs saved all the fairings, no fairing damage which is amazing.

Snapped left foot peg. Thankfully no tank or exhaust damage (exhaust is right side)

Called loads of Yamahas today, they'll fix my steering lock for £1k because they have to replace the whole thing, or something. After I had my rant at how shit their design is and how a kick to the handlebars shouldn't cost fucking £1k I thought fuck that I'm just going to ride without a steering lock.

It felt dodgy as fuck to ride on at first with the steering sticking in places, but it seems to be free now and not catching on anything.

Not sure if there's a way I can just take out the steering lock completely so it doesn't mess with my handlebars turning?

Police are useless, Krispy Kreme's CCTV didn't catch anything, and the surrounding areas of the retail park apparently require police to request their CCTV footage.

The car park has loads of CCTV, so gonna contact them soon with the crime ref that the police fobbed off onto me.

I hate the police now. "There's nothing we can do". How about you get me the fucking footage so I can hunt these motherfuckers on IG, I know if I clock their bikes I will see who they are at some point.

Police done up my legit friends for not having full sized plates and even caused me to drop my bike in the past even when I had no reason to be pulled over. One friend cant afford to ride anymore because of their bollocks. They go for legit people to make easy money but when someone who pays taxes and works their fucking arse off 9-5 calls for their help they get fobbed off.

I hate the police as much as I hate the thieves.

Taking theft insurance off, realise I don't need it, if I make a claim or even discuss this with my insurer I will never afford to ride again, so it's useless.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:50 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, but you did at least manage to keep your bike Thumbs Up Alas, those bikes they were riding will invariably be stolen as well Crying or Very sad

I too only have TPO insurance, and like you, unless I really had to, I wouldn't make an insurance claim !!

Hope you sort out what niggles you've been left with.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:55 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have long held sterering locks to be a total waste of space. This is exactly why.

Take care. The plunger can still get itself stuck into the steering mechanism and lock it, the broken bit will still be floating around in there somewhere.

You need to take it apart and get that bit out. At a minmum top yoke off but might be the whole front end if it's stuck in the steering stem.

Check they havent bent your handlebars. Check for damage to the steering lockstops. Check for damage to the stering stem (depending how the lock works on your bike, most of them have a pin that goes into a hole in the steering stem, either the pin breaks or the hole ovals when they are forced).

If you're lucky, your bike will have a strippable ignition lock so you can put the barrel off your current one onto the bottom of a new one and retain the key. Old one would need security bolts drilling off to remove it though.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:11 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
They go for legit people to make easy money but when someone who pays taxes and works their fucking arse off 9-5 calls for their help they get fobbed off.

I hate the police as much as I hate the thieves.

Yep Thumbs Up
stinkwheel wrote:
I have long held sterering locks to be a total waste of space. This is exactly why.

Counter point, had they not had to break it they'd have been gone before he got out to the door.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:18 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Counter point, had they not had to break it they'd have been gone before he got out to the door.

And if he'd used a disc lock, they wouldn't have broken it that quickly and he'd probably have been looking at at worst a new disc and a calliper off ebay.

If he'd used a small U-lock or padlock through the rear sprocket at the 7 o' clock position. Probably not even that.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
And if he'd used a disc lock, they wouldn't have broken it that quickly and he'd probably have been looking at at worst a new disc and a calliper off ebay.

If he'd used a small U-lock or padlock through the rear sprocket at the 7 o' clock position. Probably not even that.

Meef wrote:
I didn't have any security on the bike at the time, we just got back from a ride out and only stopped for about 5 minutes to get a hot drink before I was going to drop her home.

Didn't you say you also leave the key in the bike at home? I guess he should have done that.

notabikeranym...
Formerly known as
meef

PostPosted: 20:33 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point arguing what should/could have been done to be honest.

I know I fucked up, I didn't take my disc lock lol.

Stink thanks for your advice about the steering, quite a worrying thought that it could all jam up. Hopefully doesn't happen and might get it looked at properly because I don't know what I'm doing. Either way getting it done by a bike mechanic (making sure it doesnt fuck my steering mid-ride) would cost considerably less than getting the steering lock replaced.

If I were to get a steering lock in future, I wouldn't ever use it, so no point.

The main thing I'm fucked off with is the police's lack of co-operation. "We don't have time for this" is pretty much all I got out of them.

Total waste of time. Fuck the police, fully anti-police now. I was always sketched out by them but this confirms it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:36 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Didn't you say you also leave the key in the bike at home? I guess he should have done that.

Yes, I do. But only when it's in a locked garage that can only be opened from the inside. My oppinion is, if someone is in there, they have already forced entry to either the house or the garage and the bikes are gone regardless. May as well hope I don't have to replace the lockset and half the wiring loom if they turn up again (and 5 out of the 6 bikes I've had stolen turned up again).

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Yes, I do. But only when it's in a locked garage that can only be opened from the inside. My oppinion is, if someone is in there, they have already forced entry to either the house or the garage and the bikes are gone regardless. May as well hope I don't have to replace the lockset and half the wiring loom if they turn up again (and 5 out of the 6 bikes I've had stolen turned up again).

To be fair, you have a point, I don't use the steering lock, I don't however leave the keys in the bike, unless I have a senior moment!! Laughing but I do understand why you do. Minimise the costs of repair, should you get the bike back.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
M.C wrote:

Apathetic towards security, bikes keep getting stolen Clapping

Two guys I work(ed) with, one had his bike on the driveway, only the steering lock on. Scrotes were unable to break the lock, caused damage but he still had his bike (which was fairly new on finance).

Second guy with a garage, they folded up the door, and didn't get the bike because inside it was chained up.

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:19 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most insurers have a clause for steering lock use so it's probably best to use it assuming you have theft cover.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:20 - 27 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soz 2 hear.

Complaint to Dibble's professional standards, obviously.

You could consider a MIB claim (with a £300 excess and not if you're not fully comp, when apparently they knock it back because of reasons):

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/claiming-against-an-untraced-driver/submitting-a-claim/

Since nobody seems to give a stuff about investigating it, who's going to question your assertion that it was in the process of being pushed along by a pikey on a bikey when it fell over. Don't say theft, say due to use of another motor vehicle with an untraced driver.

Nothing's going to get done until it's cheaper for the Cabal to do something.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:08 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Apathetic towards security, bikes keep getting stolen Clapping

None of those had the keys in. All of them were chained to a solid object. Two of them were in a locked yard.

Quote:
Two guys I work(ed) with, one had his bike on the driveway, only the steering lock on. Scrotes were unable to break the lock, caused damage but he still had his bike (which was fairly new on finance).

So undamaged then? Just able to jump back on it and ride as normal? No bent handlebars, smashed switchgear, knackered lockset?

Quote:
Second guy with a garage, they folded up the door, and didn't get the bike because inside it was chained up.

Same question.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:
I think most insurers have a clause for steering lock use so it's probably best to use it assuming you have theft cover.

Indeed they do; and where such a specific provision doesn't exist, I have seen the odd occasion of 'reasonable care' being used as grounds for repudiation. Doesn't tend to stick, but still.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:36 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Complaint to Dibble's professional standards, obviously.

I am involved in assisting a rather unfortunate victim of bike theft at the moment from an insurance perspective and have been email forwarded a couple of absolute hummers from the 5-0. One of them effectively sets out:
Large caseload.
Low level, high volume crime (hey, never mind the fact the guy's family got threatened with the tools of the trade whilst Dindus were pinching it).
100+ backlog.
I have 15 others that are more urgent.
Low level crime.

May as well have said "DILLIGAF?", tbh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:51 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, it's no worse than sticking up a Post Office for four figures, right? Low level, nobody actually got deaded.

arry wrote:
evilzed wrote:

Indeed they do

Seems somewhat pointless.

Bike nicked and not recovered. Did you use the steering lock? Well, of course I did.

Bike nicked and recovered with steering lock intact. Well, of course the first thing they'd have to do is to replace the broken lock if they wanted to ride it or sell it on.

Bike not nicked but damaged due to steering lock being on: you literally asked for it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:57 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

evilzed wrote:

Again, my experience has been theft cover isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Only time I made a theft claim. The bike had been forcibly removed from a ground anchor and was recovered by the police who found someone fuelling it up a few days later. Bike was hotwired and damaged enough to write it off.

Still took over 4 months for them to get round to making a derisory offer. The claims adjuster lied to my fucking face about the condition of the bike without having actually been to look at it (apprently the stainless exhaust was rusty among other things).

Got way less than the replacement cost of the bike even after haggling, had the excess deducted and factor in cancellation of the remaining policy and getting humped on premiums for the next five years. Almost certainly would have been better off just buying a new one and not missing 4 months of the summer riding.

I just go for the cheapest insurance I can get and don't buy bikes I can't afford to lose. I would never bother my arse claiming for theft again.

I'm making a special but that's going to be insured on an agreed value.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:03 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Sure, it's no worse than sticking up a Post Office for four figures, right? Low level, nobody actually got deaded.

Absolutely; I wouldn't like to place bets at the odds I'd get for not being locked up if I were to defraud my company for the same amount of quids that the bike was worth, and that's without waving an angle grinder or lump hammer at anyone.

Rogerborg wrote:
Seems somewhat pointless.

Bike nicked and not recovered. Did you use the steering lock? Well, of course I did.

Bike nicked and recovered with steering lock intact. Well, of course the first thing they'd have to do is to replace the broken lock if they wanted to ride it or sell it on.

Bike not nicked but damaged due to steering lock being on: you literally asked for it.

Entirely pointless; but then when have insurers ever stopped to consider the real world application of their clauses? A few years ago I had one of my clients refused indemnity on the grounds of not meeting minimum security requirements. The specific endorsement was that the final exit door must have a 5 lever mortice deadlock complying with BS3621; no great shakes that, apart from this was a guesthouse property. In order to be BS3621 compliant the lock must be capable of dead-locking and have the key removed from both sides so that it cannot be opened without the key. Fitting and putting into operation a door lock of this nature to a guesthouse would at best be impractical, most likely at odds with any fire risk assessment and at worst effectively the insurer signing up the hotelier to corporate manslaughter charges when the place catches fire and no-one can get out of the main fire exit Rolling Eyes

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:17 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you still have it AND its minimal damage.

Unfortunately, its why the bike stays in the house and if I go out, its getting almax'd to a pole. I'd rather get a parking ticket than a bus home.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:23 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd rather get a parking ticket than a bus home.

I'd rather get VD than a bus; full stop.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:37 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

don't you catch VD from sitting on bus seats?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:58 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Laughing

That is a fair comment Mr. Green

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:32 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
arry wrote:

don't you catch VD from sitting on bus seats?

There's been no VD around since about 1980, doncha know? It's all STIs now.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate it's a totally different thing down south/London regarding the state of public transport, the overcrowding and the other factors such as the low life's, sick infected people and poor service/reliability.

But do any of you outside of the smoke or other busy inner city ares, actually use the bus services in your county/Borough?

Reason I ask, is that I'm trying to understand or differentiate between those that hate public transport because it's wronged them, harmed them or been extremely unpleasant. And those that have a stigma and just wouldn't be seen dead on a bus or think it's too common or beneath them?

I use alot of West Midlands buses and trains for getting around, and do many more miles a year on public transport generally that I do on a bike, or any of my vehicles car/cycles etc.

I actually like public transport, if it works and doesn't let me down too often. I like the idea of moving commuters around en-mass in a more efficient and less congested way than us all sitting in a car or on a bike. I think the only chance the UK has as a future for growing the economy and reducing ill health, and actually allowing more people to get to work is in massively improved and invested in public transport.

In maybe 15years time, I predict that roads will be too busy for anyone to actually drive anywhere or be able to park.

Bikes, cars, scooters and 4x4's to me are about fun, hobbies, ways to relieve you of your disposable cash, and things to enjoy. None are serious future forms of daily transport in busy city's or regions. Id like to own my own vehicles for several decades, but I'm definitely not too snobby or important to use public transport, and I never will be.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:50 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely use public transport. I'm 2 miles from the nearest train or bus stop.

Frankly, the B-road I'd have to walk along is narrow and has no footpath or lighting, or even a verge you'd be able to walk along or step up onto for a lot of its length. I wouldn't actually walk along it, I think there is too high a chance of being run over.

So I could cycle along it into town, find somewhere secure to leave my bike then not be able to take much stuff. Plus it's an epic steep hill. Laughing or just drive.

One time I'd love to take public transport is when I go on holiday abroad but I've not had a flight in the last 10 years that was feasible by public transport without an overnight stay at either the airport or the nearest city on either the way there or back on account of leaving before or arriving after the last bus/train.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3