Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:45 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I appreciate it's a totally different thing down south/London regarding the state of public transport, the overcrowding and the other factors such as the low life's, sick infected people and poor service/reliability.

But do any of you outside of the smoke or other busy inner city ares, actually use the bus services in your county/Borough?

Reason I ask, is that I'm trying to understand or differentiate between those that hate public transport because it's wronged them, harmed them or been extremely unpleasant. And those that have a stigma and just wouldn't be seen dead on a bus or think it's too common or beneath them?

I use alot of West Midlands buses and trains for getting around, and do many more miles a year on public transport generally that I do on a bike, or any of my vehicles car/cycles etc.

I actually like public transport, if it works and doesn't let me down too often. I like the idea of moving commuters around en-mass in a more efficient and less congested way than us all sitting in a car or on a bike. I think the only chance the UK has as a future for growing the economy and reducing ill health, and actually allowing more people to get to work is in massively improved and invested in public transport.

In maybe 15years time, I predict that roads will be too busy for anyone to actually drive anywhere or be able to park.

Bikes, cars, scooters and 4x4's to me are about fun, hobbies, ways to relieve you of your disposable cash, and things to enjoy. None are serious future forms of daily transport in busy city's or regions. Id like to own my own vehicles for several decades, but I'm definitely not too snobby or important to use public transport, and I never will be.

The problem with public transport is that it needs to be really good before its not a total pain in arse. The bar is set incredibly high compared to private transport.
For example, my commute into Nottingham- I can (and have) taken public transport: 20 min walk->1hr train->20 min bus ride at other end (assuming traffic isn't too bad). Repeat on the way back. Only one train an hour so miss one and you have an hour to wait. They stop at ~9, so don't work too late, If I want to be in for 9, I have to leave the house at 6AM (to travel 25 miles!). And finally, it costs £15 PER DAY (probably drop that to 10 if I had the 4K spare for a season ticket).
The alternative to 3-4hrs per day on public transport? Bike, 40-45minutes on a good day. Morning/evening rush hour pushes it to 1hr to 1.10hrs. 5-10 minutes at each end to get gear on/off.

Public Transport needs to offer a service similar to that of a car/bike before people will change to it. I used to live in Edinburgh, for the most part the buses there are top notch, it makes sense in that case. It's an awfully expensive standard to match (autonomous cars?)

On Topic: Never used a steering lock. 1st didn't work, never bothered with the others. I don't see the point of them tbh, if someone has come close enough to test the steering lock they are already committed. best to send them on to other (less well secured) bikes with an obvious disc lock/brake lock/Ulock.

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:15 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm generally of the opinion that public tranport is shit and should fuck off.

At home its about a mile to the station, but there are only a couple trains a day (village), and they stop before I would be wanting to return home, so no dice. I used the service to get to work once last year because I fell of my bike, fucked that and hurt my leg so I couldn't drive properly. Took about 2hrs45 to do 50 miles and required a trip into central birmingham, a walk across town and then a shit slow train back from there. Cost me £18 return I think (car used to cost £8 in fuel, £2 in insurance and a nominal £1 in expendables each day), but I could do the trip in 1hr30 in the car or maybe 1hr15 on the bike.

At Uni I could use the bus day to day if I was so inclined. Service is pretty good and at £250/yr it isn't prohibitive. However, I tend to buy a cheap bike for £30 on gumtree, get to uni quicker, save monies and accept that I'll get wet once a week. I never have to wait for buses, it's always there when I want it and it's always going exactly where I want. Never had one nicked yet, but I'd have to loose 8 of them a year to equal the bus pass costs...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:30 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:
I used to live in Edinburgh, for the most part the buses there are top notch, it makes sense in that case. It's an awfully expensive standard to match (autonomous cars?)

Funny. I lived in Edinburgh 17 years ago and I always used to consider it quicker to just fucking walk. Even if it was miles. I once had to take my bike exhaust down to motocal when they were on Ferry road from my flat in Newington. I tried it by bus the once and by the time I'd stood waiting for each of the three buses it took to get there, I could have walked there AND saved myself a fiver.

That's before you got to the fact that the bus system is almost entirely opaque to anyone other than grannies as to which one you need to take, from where and how much you're supposed to pay. So if there wasn't a Granny to ask, you stood no chance.

"Right son, you need the 16 for two fare stops then swap ontae the 205 'till one past the shops then get the 23."

Falco
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:10 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Falco wrote:
I used to live in Edinburgh, for the most part the buses there are top notch, it makes sense in that case. It's an awfully expensive standard to match (autonomous cars?)

Funny. I lived in Edinburgh 17 years ago and I always used to consider it quicker to just fucking walk. Even if it was miles. I once had to take my bike exhaust down to motocal when they were on Ferry road from my flat in Newington. I tried it by bus the once and by the time I'd stood waiting for each of the three buses it took to get there, I could have walked there AND saved myself a fiver.

That's before you got to the fact that the bus system is almost entirely opaque to anyone other than grannies as to which one you need to take, from where and how much you're supposed to pay. So if there wasn't a Granny to ask, you stood no chance.

"Right son, you need the 16 for two fare stops then swap ontae the 205 'till one past the shops then get the 23."

Interesting. I last used the buses there about 7 years ago. With liberal application of bus lanes I found it somewhere between cycling and walking in terms of speed (depending on where the route went - anything going through princes street was a no-go). Online/phone app with live departures, maps at every bus stop (well most of them) and an all day ticket for £2.50 (my spies in the north tell me the price has reached £4 now) made it a viable mode of transport. Not optimal, but viable.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the train for work for a few months at a time, but most of my public transport use in for social/domestic purposes. Visiting friends and family, and days out somewhere different, or to get me and my mountain bike to some interesting places for off road rides etc.

Unlike the examples above, I live 5min walk from the local station, on a main line. Therefore in peak times there's a train every 20min max and at other times probably every 30-40min.

For work it's about 20miles to a city outskirts depot, and thats £7 a day return. At the other end it's about 8min walk to work. Still not bad for the distance, and because it's slow crawling traffic for most of the journey by road, I'd expect petrol consumption to be that much or more a day, and that's not taking into account car/bike running costs.

I do get that if your out in the sticks, or on a branch line, or just a south East trains user your rather more fucked than my situation.

Buses, bit more hit and miss here, but even with hourly services, I live 2min walk from a bus stop and only 15min from the bus stand in town. Im lucky compared to some, and to that end even if my commute on public transport is over an hour all told, I can't justify the hassle and expense of an hours drive or ride, and the need to have a reliable and ready to use fueled up car or bike available at all times.

Add to that I wouldn't trust any of my vehicles for daily commuting, even though at the other end they could be locked in a gated compound with cctv.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:16 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Re: Attempted bike theft 6:40 in Enfield Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Quote:
Two guys I work(ed) with, one had his bike on the driveway, only the steering lock on. Scrotes were unable to break the lock, caused damage but he still had his bike (which was fairly new on finance).

So undamaged then? Just able to jump back on it and ride as normal? No bent handlebars, smashed switchgear, knackered lockset?

Highlighted as you seem to be struggling. No lock damage etc. but IIRC his bars were bent, it was riding to work the next day he realised something was up. The damage was repaired under a oh so you're not going through insurance, that'll be £500 less scenario.

stinkwheel wrote:

Quote:
Second guy with a garage, they folded up the door, and didn't get the bike because inside it was chained up.

Same question.

Bike was undamaged.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:22 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Public transport; meh

To get to collage was one train, every hour, if it turned up, then a half hour walk across town. Couldn't get a student pass for reduced fair as I was traveling across a county boundary and should apparently have been getting on at the next station, the one that closed two years before I was born. The station at town was generally crap, it was the older of the two stations with an un-lit subway and was a bit dodgy.

The bus option was mum driving me for 20 mins to the start of the bus route and me being collected again on the return journey. I used to cycle any day that I didn't have to carry a large portfolio case.

At uni, could never figure out or find out which bus was going where and from where, just cycled everywhere instead.

currently, public transport to get to work is 2hrs 10 mins assuming the bus is not on strike, a different bus company does the return route (exact mirror route) so I can't buy a day saver, have to buy two singles and then two trams across Manchester. I can do the trip by bike and have an hour extra in bed and still be in early / allow for bad traffic and it's cheaper (pubic transport is about £14 per day)

At the first sign of bad weather the busses stop running (but the preserved railway carries on happily but starts running too late to be of use)

If I worked closer to home (I'm only 16 miles away from work) then public transport might be more viable, but then I'd probably start cycling it again.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:52 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/vvSWPMK.png

The Googlemaps reckons that I would be quicker cycling the 9.4 miles in and 10.7 miles out (wut?) then waiting on the best-case sequence of trains, buses and Hansom cabs necessary to commute.

Today I did foggit out and take the car because of icedeath roads. Even parked miles south of the river to avoid Glasgow's ever-expanding carhate zone, it's still far, far quicker and more convenient than any conceivable prole transport.

Edinburgh, well I did park-and-ride into there a few years back on the X-for-eXpress shuttle bus. It wasn't, then it went downhill from there.

Public transport outside of that London is and will remain primarily the last resort of the desperate.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:36 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falco wrote:

Online/phone app with live departures, maps at every bus stop (well most of them) and an all day ticket for £2.50 (my spies in the north tell me the price has reached £4 now) made it a viable mode of transport. Not optimal, but viable.

Aye. That would probably make a difference. 17 years ago, the only way you could find out the timetable was to physically go into the bus station or a public library and look at them. Phones were attached to the wall and the only thing you found in bus stops was fag butts, used needles and a smell of piss. Much like the buses.

Mind you, I notice they still have blue lights in many of the buses in the central belt to stop you being able to see your veins...

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

The Googlemaps reckons that I would be quicker cycling the 9.4 miles in and 10.7 miles out (wut?) then waiting on the best-case sequence of trains, buses and Hansom cabs necessary to commute.

I'm ~20 miles from the epicenter of the entire world (Londinium) and to get ~11 miles in a North Easterly direction from home by train would involve, I kid you not, a walk of 20 minutes and a combination of 3 trains taking a total journey time of one hour and thirty minutes.

Get a bus you say? Yeah cracking, either a 20 minute walk to the applicable bus stop, or a bus to get there taking ~15 minutes from ~5 minutes walk away and then the bus from there which takes an hour and eleven minutes; total journey time still the same as the trains.

That's 11 miles away. Eleven. I can nearly walk it faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

I'm ~20 miles from the epicenter of the entire world (Londinium) and to get ~11 miles in a North Easterly direction from home by train would involve, I kid you not, a walk of 20 minutes and a combination of 3 trains taking a total journey time of one hour and thirty minutes.

Get a bus you say? Yeah cracking, either a 20 minute walk to the applicable bus stop, or a bus to get there taking ~15 minutes from ~5 minutes walk away and then the bus from there which takes an hour and eleven minutes; total journey time still the same as the trains.

That's the problem with public transport, it's patchy. For example I could go door to door from London to North Wales, 2 buses and 2 trains. Then going somewhere 10 miles away where I ideally didn't want to turn up in bike gear, would have needed a bus, 2 trains and a 30min walk at the end, so I did take the bike to avoid a 1hr 40min journey (think it was 30 mins by bike).

notabikeranym...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:21 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every public service is a fucking joke. The police can't even fucking spell in their emails and apparently don't have working phones.

All stupid cunts.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

Me too more or less (Enfield to Gracechurch St). Plus I had my fill of sitting on the train listening to hookers performing the ancient art of phone-sex, druggies arranging deals and the screams of 'please don't hurt me' from incompetent laptop thieves as the rightful owner and sundry large inky-skinned bystanders recovered said stolen goods in an over-enthusiastic manner.

Plus I always get a fucking seat on the bike!

SuperMike
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:41 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's a lesson that I have just learned from the little arsewipes round my neck of the woods. Got home from work, and was using the bike again a couple of hours later. Didn't put my lock round it. I get back on the bike and stall twice, then realise that the steering is pointing to the left but the wheel is pointing forwards. Someone has had a crack at it in the two flipping hours I was parked up, couldn't break the steering lock and that's me thankfully only £70 out of pocket today getting it all straightened back again. Can't leave anything with two wheels anywhere! Lesson learned.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 29 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperMike wrote:
Someone has had a crack at it in the two flipping hours I was parked up, couldn't break the steering lock and that's me thankfully only £70 out of pocket today getting it all straightened back again.

Should have left the steering lock off Tut Tut

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:

You've reminded me of why I got a motorbike in the first place.

Living in Maidenhead so, mainline through Slough into London and got a job in Uxbridge.

Train would have taken about 2-3 hours into London and then tube back out again,

Bus wasn't much better, getting off the train at Drayton and then bus up to Uxbridge.

Looked at getting a car for the 20-30 min drive but only parking options I could find was £10 full day to park, that's £50 a week or £200 a month, bollocks to that.

Bought bike, parked for free.

Johnnythefox
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:08 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like buses, too many poor people use them.

CBFcarl
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 13:49 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a bike to get away from the reliance on public transport. I haven't had a job that just required one bus in a long time, so now, if one is late, or doesn't turn up, or just doesn't stop, then it has a knock on effect for the rest of the trip.

Where I work now is across the road from a job that I had about 6 years ago. It used to take me two buses and a shade under three hours to get here. Worse on the way home.

I now live slightly further away, but can do it door to door in 35 minutes, sometimes quicker, sometimes slower.

Public transport is a joke. Where I live, it was £20 a week, for just Rotherham. If you wanted Rotherham / Sheffield you could add £15. I put £12 in every fortnight for petrol.

In fact, where I live now, I would have to get a bus from one operator to go to the town centre which is going away from where I need to go, and then get two buses to get where I am working.
Alternatively, I could get a bus to town, a train to Doncaster and then the company that I work for have shuttle mini-buses from the train station to the office. I still don't trust any of them to do what I need them to do.

notabikeranym...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got pulled over on the way home tonight.

They clocked I didnt put "commuting" on my insurance and I told them I was jus coming back from work.

They pulled me for accelerating too hard in a 20. Idk what speed I was at.

Threatened 9 points and a £300 fine, but let me go with a warning.

Funny how they continually try to fuck us for missing a fucking detail on a piece of paper.

Have I ever thrown acid in someone's face or destroyed their property? No.

Fuck sake.

I'm on the verge of a meltdown.

I've left my gf, my bike has about £1,500 damage, and now I'm getting pulled by feds.

FUCK.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnnythefox wrote:
I don't like buses, too many poor people use them.

Is this based on your direct experience of them, or a stereotype of society?

I can really appreciate all these situations of why public transport doesn't work for you in your particular instance or exact commute.

I'd counter that though by saying that for those that public transport does work for their needs, that some folk are saving far more cash a year using it, and not having a car or bike and the associated running costs.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
They clocked I didnt put "commuting" on my insurance and I told them I was jus coming back from work.

They pulled me for accelerating too hard in a 20. Idk what speed I was at.

Threatened 9 points and a £300 fine, but let me go with a warning.

Funny how they continually try to fuck us for missing a fucking detail on a piece of paper.

Out of interest how did they 'clock'? I agree with you 100% about the police.

notabikeranym...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was jus typical line of questioning, my head is not in the right place and I admitted I was riding home from work.

The guy then checks my insurance to check it's not stolen etc (fucking hilarious init) and goes "you've only got social domestic and pleasure on here, so you're not insured to ride at the moment"

Knobs the lot of them.

I'm fully a part of FTP movement, they can suck my dick.

If the cunt rings me about attempted bike theft, which they wont, I'm gonna tell him to fuck off on the phone.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:43 - 30 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you refuse to buy some lucky heather from a gypsy?

Makes you wonder if you'd been better off just wheelying away, calling it in as stolen when you got home, then "finding" it again the next morning.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
It was jus typical line of questioning, my head is not in the right place and I admitted I was riding home from work.

It's an innocent (sounding) enough question, I've answered it without realising the implications, although I have commuting on my insurance.

We've had this debate before about whether (or not) it's the police's business about what you're doing (commuting, delivering etc.). My opinion hasn't changed Razz At least they didn't try to do you for speeding in a 20, I assume you passed the attitude test, and I'm glad they showed some discretion.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:58 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meef wrote:
Knobs the lot of them.

I know right, it's disgraceful how they let someone continue on their journey even though the person openly admitted to the policeman officers that their insurance wasn't entirely valid.

Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3