Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Meef wrote:
Knobs the lot of them.

I know right, it's disgraceful how they let someone continue on their journey even though the person openly admitted to the policeman officers that their insurance wasn't entirely valid.

Wink

If you decide to go to a shop on the way home, or visit a friend, are you still commuting when you recommence your journey?

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 01:34 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Meef wrote:
Knobs the lot of them.

I know right, it's disgraceful how they let someone continue on their journey even though the person openly admitted to the policeman officers that their insurance wasn't entirely valid.

Wink

If our human rights act was worth a jot,they would be unlawfully stealing peoples property and allowing 3rd parties an attempt at extortion.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:21 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked in London and commuted from Milton Keynes it was bike to Bletchley (car was £4.00 a day to park then) the 05.59 to Euston and then the northern line to Charing cross then a walk down beggars alley (The Strand) to the Shell offices.

£4700 per year to London Midland for the privilege Evil or Very Mad

The next year I moved my boat down to London and lived on it during the week, mooring usually on the west side of London between Uxbridge and Harlesdon. It used to cost me about £8 per day on the tube which was a hell of a saving (about £2200 I worked out) but god it's horrible on the tube when packed.

My point in all this is I agree that public transport has got to be good to replace cars/bikes etc, but it should be cheap as well and cheap it aint.

I was in the city of Karlsruhe (Germany) with friends and they have a wonderful tram system that goes everywhere around the city and well outside to villages. A day pass is cheap as chips and so good you don't bother with a car in the city. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:06 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

London has too many "people", end of. There's no magic solution to moving that density of warm bodies except perhaps slidewalks or:

https://i.imgur.com/S2MN9oh.jpg?1

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manchester is a little better, especially with the tram system... as long as you live close enough to its routes. But, during my working life, I made the decision that my time was more valuable than any pay-packet. I chose jobs within ten, TEN minutes of home. They paid less than the city centre jobs, but saved me half a lifetime in commuting time and certainly made up the difference in salary vs. commuting costs. People are creatures of habit, you were born here, you'll stay here and expect the work you need to fund your life-syle to be on your doorstep. If its not, move to where it is, for sure, companies wont move to accommodate you. If London / SE is so fabulous, why are you southerners always bitching? Either move or suck it up, you do have alternatives.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:45 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
If you decide to go to a shop on the way home, or visit a friend, are you still commuting when you recommence your journey?

Such things depend on just how bored the policeman is.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:20 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before. While I'm no legal expert, the law requires you to be in posession of a certificate of motor insurance and producing said certificate in court is effectively a get out of jail free card.

Whether you are riding within the terms of the stipulations of the policy is a civil matter between you and the insurance company.

I stand ready to be proved wrong...

I only answer pertinant questions from the police. As far as I'm concerned, any details about what I'm doing, where I'm going or indeed any request to "account for myself", especially as part of a traffic stop do not count as pertinant. As far as I'm concerned, the only pertinant questions the police should be asking on a "random" traffic stop are name, address, date of birth, a request for statuatory documents and a request for a specimen of breath.

Any accusation of offences such as "accelerating too hard" or "riding a bit fast" if not accompanied by a quantitative measure and specific location would be met with derision and quite possibly an outright denial.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:42 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am primed to ejaculate "poppycock" , "balderdash" and, if I'm feeling particularly frisky, possibly even "codswallop" during my next tug.

Suggestions gratefully received for similar hum-dingers.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:36 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Whether you are riding within the terms of the stipulations of the policy is a civil matter between you and the insurance company.

I stand ready to be proved wrong...

They take an interest in takeaway delivery drivers who don't have the appropriate insurance.

https://www.thediveforum.com/archive/index.php/t-18702.html

There are various other other forums with similar posts so it's not an unusual thing to happen.

The offence IN10 is "using a vehicle uninsured against third party risks" rather than not being in possession of a insurance certificate. Confused

The Road Traffic Act says (lots of stuff Laughing) this which sounds like it might be relevant:

"[F46A person giving a security for the purposes of this Part of this Act must deliver] to the person to whom it is given a certificate (in this Part of this Act referred to as a “certificate of security”) in the prescribed form and containing such particulars of any conditions subject to which the security is issued and of any other matters as may be prescribed."

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/VI/crossheading/compulsory-insurance-or-security-against-thirdparty-risks

Someone like Roger needs to sift through it all and pick out the salient points. Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:02 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Someone like Roger needs to sift through it all and pick out the salient points. Thumbs Up

"use".

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:12 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the phrase "Stuff and nonsense!"

The exact wording in the RTA is:

Quote:
a person must not use a motor vehicle on a road [F1or other public place] unless there is in force in relation to the use of the vehicle by that person such a policy of insurance or such a security in respect of third party risks as complies with the requirements of this Part of this Act.

merquis00
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:33 - 01 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
I am primed to ejaculate "poppycock" , "balderdash" and, if I'm feeling particularly frisky, possibly even "codswallop" during my next tug.

Thumbs Up

"piffle"
"malarkey"
"twaddle"
"claptrap"
"absurd and nonsensical" Mr. Green

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:45 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

merquis00 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

"piffle"

ITYM "an inverted pyramid of piffle..."

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 03:02 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

merquis00 wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

Thumbs Up

"piffle"
"malarkey"
"twaddle"
"claptrap"
"absurd and nonsensical" Mr. Green

"Pish and posh" has a certain appeal as well I find.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:40 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
When I worked in London and commuted from Milton Keynes it was bike to Bletchley (car was £4.00 a day to park then) the 05.59 to Euston and then the northern line to Charing cross then a walk down beggars alley (The Strand) to the Shell offices.

£4700 per year to London Midland for the privilege Evil or Very Mad

I walk to the station - 15 mins, then 40 mins on train where I get a seat 99% of the time. Air conditioning, reliable and reasonably clean. 11 quid a day. Door to door with work an hour.

It's the only reason I live where I do TBH.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3