Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

High Definition Speed Camera trials

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:18 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: High Definition Speed Camera trials Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-essex-41572662?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a1c51a6e4b0318653718b6b%26Maldon%20tries%20out%20HD%20speed%20cameras%26&ns_fee=0#post_5a1c51a6e4b0318653718b6b

Quote:
Britain's first high-definition speed cameras have gone on trial in Maldon today.

As well as recording speeds, the cameras will also be able to identify drivers' faces, and whether they're using a mobile phone. They'll be managed by Maldon District Council.

"To be the very first is quite an accolade. I think it's been proven that if you get a reputation for enforcement in a particular area, word gets round and people generally control their speed where they know there's a high risk of getting caught," said council leader Mark Durham.

Couldn't find anything else on this at a (albeit quick) search of the net. But it has me a bit bemused:
1) So long as they've got a speeding car leading to the handing out of a speeding bribe or highly profitable safety course, why do they care to see the driver's face? Surely there's not that many convictions going unfulfilled these days where 'the driver couldn't be confirmed'?
2) Is there some sort of statistical evidence that shows most people going through speed cameras at in excess of the limit are also on their mobile phone but it's just not able to be proven such? Which leads onto, of course:
a) Presume the camera requires excess speed to activate or
b) Is it actually a watching Big Brother eyeball with man (or woman, who could likely do the job just as well if not better, of course) positioned in a control room keeping watch for easy pickings?

Since half the bloody things elsewhere in the country aren't even switched on, what's the point in upgrading them? Eh?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:48 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could there be some loophole where the speeding tax goes into the central pot, but blackmail demands for other things might be available to the Scamera partnership? Just free-styling, it is a puzzler.

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:31 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're probably right Rog,

Herts PCC wrote:
Using the surplus generated from motorists who have committed driving offences and been ordered to pay court costs following prosecution, or who have attended educational diversionary courses (such as speed awareness course), the Road Safety Fund will seek to fund new and innovative ways of improving road safety.

From here

Seems pretty much the same?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:03 - 28 Nov 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often wondered if part of the reason some people Shifty get flashed a lot and don't hear anything is due to the photos being unclear. I've seen a photo from a handheld device and you couldn't make out the full plate, AFAIK someone sits there and guesses until they get a make/colour match, which's dodgy as I once saw my dads car with the same plate except it was one digit out (I thought it was a cloned plate at first glance).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1