Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SSD worth it or not

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: SSD worth it or not Reply with quote

I have a hybrid 2TB seagate drive which is meant to be an improvement over a standard spinner as it has a portion of solid state built in (or have I got that wrong?). Anyway the point is I have a CEX voucher and was thinking about getting a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 120GB.

My system could do with a format and reinstall so I might try an SSD. Since I keep the PC on 24/7 is it worth getting the SSD, Windows 10 and a couple of most played games will be installed on it, everything else is going on the spinner. I thought SSD drives just cut boot time from a cold boot?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD is always worth it, the speed and responsiveness is something you just can't get from a mechanical hard drive. Thumbs Up

SSDs not only have shorter boot time, they also have waaaay shorter access times and if used for gaming, the loading times are going to be so short, that you won't be able to read the hints and stuff that's usually written on the loading screen to amuse you while you wait for your game to load.

Also, in games that require constant streaming of data, a SSD is a huge boost in the performance. A SSD even made GTA V playable on my Q6600 which is 10 years old. HDD just couldn't feed the system with assets quickly enough.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree it’s like going black once you do it you can’t go back....

Sorry for being racist.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other benefit is less heat.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 120GB won't have much space with Windows using half of it at least.
Depends what you have on. 250GB would be better.
It's debatable whether it's worth it unless doing demanding stuff like video rendering and photoshoping big files (or gaming?).
Those programs need more space to shunt stuff about.
I wouldn't get one only to speed boot times, but then I only reboot about once a month Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Anyway the point is I have a CEX voucher and was thinking about getting a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 120GB.

Samsung drives are the most popular drives on the market, get one!!

I upgraded to SSD some years ago, best thing I ever did, because I know
a thing or three about computers I know how to clone my drive.

When I bought my last computer I set it up on the original drive, once
set up I cloned it onto an SSD 240gig drive then disconected the original
drive.

SSD is so much faster than a standard hard drive.

Prices can change overnight, I'm still waiting for the price of a 480gig to fall to about £100.

doggone is correct in saying 120 isn't really enough considering how
much space windows takes up. A 240 gig would be a better option
unless you have plenty of space in your computer for 2 or more drives.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
Agree it’s like going black once you do it you can’t go back....

Sorry for being racist.

This. Best upgrade I've ever made to my system. Only thing's SSD prices have gone up, you've basically paying for the next drive up; ~250GB cost what ~500GB drives did a year ago.

Only other thing's they're not meant to be good for data storage, but with 120gb you probably won't be storing much on there Razz

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth it if you only want to speed up boot time and have a few select games that you want to load faster. 120GB should be fine for that purpose.
I've always preferred to get a HDD so I can have a lot more space for the same price though.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

This. Best upgrade I've ever made to my system. Only thing's SSD prices have gone up, you've basically paying for the next drive up; ~250GB cost what ~500GB drives did a year ago.

£89 for a 480GIG back in march 2016, £151 (as I type) for the SAME
brand of drive.. The larger drives really have shot up. Prices change DAILY.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
I've always preferred to get a HDD so I can have a lot more space for the same price though.

If you're the kinda person who never installs anything you'll probably be ok. I still have my old hard drive in my system, and occasionally boot into it, it's unbelievable how long it takes just to load Windows.

Courier265 wrote:
M.C wrote:

£89 for a 480GIG back in march 2016, £151 (as I type) for the SAME
brand of drive.. The larger drives really have shot up. Prices change DAILY.

I paid £80 for my MX300 525GB a year ago, seems to be ~£130 now having a quick glance. Kinda gutted I missed a 750GB drive at the time but hopefully this will last me.

This seems to be the only real deal atm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6JQS8C?tag=ho01f-21 eBuyer apparently had the 240GB for £60 but that's gone back up.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:17 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

tldr. SSDs are worth it /thread

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

This seems to be the only real deal atm: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N6JQS8C?tag=ho01f-21 eBuyer apparently had the 240GB for £60 but that's gone back up.

That's the newer Kingston drives, my V300 is double the price at the moment... totally NUTS.

More proof that shopping for an SSD is a minefield...

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be just the scalpers left with stock inflating prices with that model. The new version of my drive's £80 240GB - £120 480GB.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:26 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
Worth it if you only want to speed up boot time and have a few select games that you want to load faster. 120GB should be fine for that purpose.

It's not just the boot time and games. Everything is quicker and more responsive with a SSD. When you click at whatever, that's located on the SSD, it takes about 1 second (maybe less) to load up, no delay. Just plain using a OS on a SSD is a completely different experience. Like going from dial up 56Kbps Internet connection to whatever is a standard where you live today (me 100Mbps, fiber optics). I mean the time when you wanted to see a small jpeg picture and it took you couple of seconds, even minutes, (hours?) to do so.

With a SSD, you may click on files you haven't used in years and they will load up in about 1 second.

Going
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:01 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the Samsung SSD Evo and Kingston V330 in my computer/s

In one computer, it has Linux on one SSD and Windows on another SSD for duel booting via BIOS. Don't notice any real world differences between them or the others PC's with SSD's. Against a 7200rpm HDD it's a big difference in speed. So worth it.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:59 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they have a limited life span?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:06 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Yeah they won't last like a HDD, so if you want long term storage, backup onto a hard drive which leaks data at a slower rate.

Upto 10 years for some SSDs.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD does have a limited life span, this is why it's not recommended to defrag your drive because after a certain amount of read/write cells will wear out and the drive size decreases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzHp_IBbYYY&t=95s

goto 4 minutes and Linus mentions limited life span.

Do play the whole video, it does explain a few things.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:12 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kingston SSD V300, 4 years in, the PC runs every single day for several hours and it's still going. The status check app says OK. The Kingston app even tells you the percentage of health and it now says SSD life remaining: 97%. Failures: none, Warnings: none.

On the flip side, I used a WD black (performance, 7200 rpm) HDD as my storage drive (not in permanent use) and it died after 7 years. I had a thread here on the BCF about it. I was reading a lot about HDD failures and general consensus is, we don't know what causes it (Google, nor Intel knows; they use a lot of HDDs in their data centers). I still have here one of my early HDDs, it's a 1999 IBM IDE 9.1GB drive and it still works. It's loud and slow, but still works.

When I got a replacement for the WD black, my thinking was maybe it failed because it was a ''performance'' part. So now I'm experimenting with a WD blue 1TB drive, which only spins at 5400 rpm. The usage is the same. When I don't require data from the storage, the drive is turned off. So, will see.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Kingston SSD V300, 4 years in, the PC runs every single day for several hours and it's still going. The status check app says OK. The Kingston app even tells you the percentage of health and it now says SSD life remaining: 97%. Failures: none, Warnings: none.

That's impressive, I also have the V300's in all my computers, my main
computer has a 240 and a 480, both drives at least 18 months old and
the APP tells me both drives 100 life remaining with no failures or warnings.
I do run the PC for about 4 hours during the week with massive dvd
ripping at the weekends. The 240 has windows 10 and the 480 has
Windows 7.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:40 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
The 120GB won't have much space with Windows using half of it at least.

LOL WAT?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:03 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my OS on SSD's and then I have a spinning disk storage for the main storage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SBDJ
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 05 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
The larger drives really have shot up. Prices change DAILY.

Yup - I bought a 4TB SSD a little while ago and not long after it was about £150 more than I'd paid. Looking today it's only £50 cheaper though so I guess my timing wasn't too bad!

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:05 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBDJ wrote:
Courier265 wrote:
The larger drives really have shot up. Prices change DAILY.

Yup - I bought a 4TB SSD a little while ago and not long after it was about £150 more than I'd paid. Looking today it's only £50 cheaper though so I guess my timing wasn't too bad!

Well the current price is now £1,200....

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:09 - 08 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD is also a bonus if you use fast memory cards in cameras etc. My WD black ( pretty good for a HD ) can manage average 100Mbs but the ssd's mean I can download at twice that at least
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 134 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2