Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Xbox 1 or ps4?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Xbox 1 or ps4? Reply with quote

I’ve had an Xbox 360 forever...

Ready to upgrade - what are people’s thoughts on ps4 vs Xbox 1? Which is better and why?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:46 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, what are your needs and expectations?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xbox One/S - generally a bit under powered*, depends what you play though. Backwards compatibility** which's nice, hard drive can't be upgraded (unlike the PS4) so you end up pissing about with portable drives, don't get a 500GB console if you can help it. Games with Gold's a lot more generous than PlayStation Plus, with the free Xbox One and 360 games they give away, and with 360 titles you can still play them once your sub' expires (you can't Xbox One titles). Unlike the previous gen' both platforms now need a subscription for online play (the PS3 was free).

PS4 - more powerful, and a lot more popular than the Xbox. No backwards compatibility but Sony will rent you PS3 games Neutral Exclusives depends on what you like. Gran Turismo/Uncharted/The Last Of Us are the big ones for Sony. MS have shot themselves in the foot a bit as they've released Xbox exclusives (Halo/Forza/Gears of War) for Windows 10, although unless you have a gaming PC that might not be an issue.

Personally if you're going to play a lot of cross-format games I'd go for the PS4, if you like the 'exclusives' on the Xbox (lets call them MS exclusives) like I do then that might be a deciding factor. Also touching on popularity again, I'm billy no mates online as all my mates have a PS4, they outsold the Xbox (for various reasons) massively. I guess it depends on how much you play online/what your mates own.

*reversed with the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X with the One X being more powerful, but having only just come out you're looking at £150 more.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting.

Halo is my current game of choice, but also like gran turismo type games.

Playing dvds is a necessity but I guess they both do that adequately?
Compatibility with a decent 5.1 system also a must.

Looks like on the basis of your summary MC - that if I can get halo on my pc - then it might be worth looking at the ps4. 🤔

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:25 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Halo games? Should have been more specific Embarassed, Halo games going forward. Halo 5 and MCC missed the shit we need people to buy Win' 10 thing, so you can only get Halo Wars 1 & 2.

Both do blu-ray/DVDs, Sony were very Jewy with supporting different video/audio types at the start but I think they've rectified that.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
What Halo games? Should have been more specific Embarassed, Halo games going forward. Halo 5 and MCC missed the shit we need people to buy Win' 10 thing, so you can only get Halo Wars 1 & 2.

Both do blu-ray/DVDs, Sony were very Jewy with supporting different video/audio types at the start but I think they've rectified that.

Haha oh yeah! Halo 4 but ready to upgrade that too Smile

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Remind me what DVD format the Xbox originally accepted?

Wink

I'd go PS4 all day, but that's because I'm a Sony fanboi 4 lyf, always had PlayStations, never had Xbox. Will be buying a PS4 shortly, when funds allow.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not fond of the Xbox controllers. Every time I've played one I spend half the time looking down at what button is what.
Whereas I've been hitting circle, X, Square, triangle, L1, R1, L2 and R2 for a good 20 0dd years plus, so it's second nature.
Still have a working, chipped original Playstation and a PSone, a slim ps2, 3x ps3's 60gig 250gig and 500gig (60gb one
is YLOD) and a 1TB PS4 under my telly in the lounge. Probably about 500 games across all 4 platforms as I have a LOT
of copied Playstation games. I was selling them to people at work for a while, I was able to copy them on standard
disc burning equipment after renting them from blockbuster video back when that was a thing, and my pal chipped the
machines for a tenner a time.

So yeah, fanboi here too.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been tempted to go for an Xbox and I'm still not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I'm not fond of the Xbox controllers. Every time I've played one I spend half the time looking down at what button is what.
Whereas I've been hitting circle, X, Square, triangle, L1, R1, L2 and R2 for a good 20 0dd years plus, so it's second nature.
Still have a working, chipped original Playstation and a PSone, a slim ps2, 3x ps3's 60gig 250gig and 500gig (60gb one
is YLOD) and a 1TB PS4 under my telly in the lounge. Probably about 500 games across all 4 platforms as I have a LOT
of copied Playstation games. I was selling them to people at work for a while, I was able to copy them on standard
disc burning equipment after renting them from blockbuster video back when that was a thing, and my pal chipped the

I remember doing a similar thing in the 90s Smile those were the days. Smile only console I can still do they on now is the wii Sad great that the kids get all wii games - but shit for those of us that actually need a decent plot and graphics!

DRZ4Hunned
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main factor is whether your mates have Xbox or Playstation. I went from PS3 to Xbox One for that reason alone.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkeye1250FA wrote:
Haha oh yeah! Halo 4 but ready to upgrade that too Smile

I originally gave up on Halo after the third one, so Halo 4 in the MCC was a pleasant surprise. Halo 5's pretty epic as well, 343 have done a better job than Bungie IMO.

Jewlio Rides Again LLB wrote:

Enlighten me.

grr666 wrote:

They're basically the same Confused Except Sony still put the analogue stick in the wrong place. I can go from PS4 to Xbox in something like GTA no problem, only the original Xbox (what people used to call the Xbox One Smile) was drastically different.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRZ4Hunned wrote:
The main factor is whether your mates have Xbox or Playstation. I went from PS3 to Xbox One for that reason alone.

A few of my mates migrated to Xbox, they've since seen the light.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:41 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:

Mine too, never spoken to them since. They are dead to me. Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:44 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
recman wrote:

Mine too, never spoken to them since. They are dead to me. Laughing

I've let them back into fold knowing I'll be forever morally superior.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear I've failed trying to give a balanced view and keep fanboyism out of it Smile Typically the earlier console's weaker, think:
PS2 vs Xbox
360 vs PS3
Xbox One vs PS4
PS4 Pro vs Xbox One X

Typically the earlier console gets a boost in sales, MS screwed this up by having Kinect only packages originally, and all the DRM bollocks they originally wanted (even though it never happened).

It's interesting with the revised consoles, obviously they've always had slight updates, but it negates the need to switch platform if you want a better gaming experience. For example I got a PS3 cos the 360 was getting a bit dated, even though it was the last pop-in-and-play console.

Also Sony have been massive c**ts on the peripheral side, namely gaming wheels. Look at all the pissed off Fanatec owners who can't use their products due to licensing. Similarly they chose not to support the G25/27* gaming wheels for the same reason, which was along with a lack of backward compatibility and a few MS exclusives the deciding factor for me.

*you can't on the Xbox either but then you never could Razz

Jewlio Rides Again LLB
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:25 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Enlighten me.

HD-DVD? The modern day equivalent of Beta-max. Laughing

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always preferred Xbox to PS. Having said that, the PS4 is great. I've been playing Doom and Infamous second son. It's a great USB stick format player as well, plays without fault. I also bought a remote for media playback from Game for £5. I'd be happy with either/or, TBH I miss my Dreamcast, wish SEGA would do another, all their consoles were brilliant.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never given a monkey's about peripherals, I just stick a disc in and play on my controller.

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mebbe irrelevant to you but the xbox gives you a 4k blu-ray player

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 02 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:

Hmmm not got any 4K Blu-rays - but that’s not to say I wouldn’t get some if I had a player Smile 🤔

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:04 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

HD-DVD? The modern day equivalent of Beta-max. Laughing

LOL, I thought you had something better in mind than an optional extra for the 360. Had they gone with it in the console fair enough, but I don't actually know anyone who bought one.

recman wrote:
I've never given a monkey's about peripherals, I just stick a disc in and play on my controller.

Well a lot of people who paid £600 for a wheel, which worked on the PS3, which originally worked on the PS4 before Sony said oi where's our license monies do. Also it stops me from getting a PS4, as Thrustmaster (and Logitech) sell the same wheels but in an Xbox or PS4 ver., no one's going to buy the same product again just to use it on another platform Rolling Eyes

panrider_uk wrote:

Ssssh, don't tell them their 4k 'Pro' console doesn't play UHD blu-rays, when the standard Xbox One (S) does Laughing

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:02 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS4, because of the exclusive games. I've never owned a PS3, just like you never have. My first games on the PS4 were remasters of PS3 games and I enjoyed every single one of them. Then I got to play some actual PS4 games and every one of them was a great gaming experience. I didn't get the PS4 at the launch, so many games were several months old when I got to them and I got most of them as ''pre-owned'' (cheap). There wasn't a exclusive game yet, that I wouldn't enjoy.

Why I never got a DirectX-box? Well, because it is just a DirectX-box. Yes there were exclusives on the 360, but not many and nothing I'd like to ever play (I never liked Forza nor Halo). With the Xbox One, the vast majority, if not all, of the formerly exclusive games are being released for the w10.
If you already own a w10 PC, that's capable of gaming (for the xbox one games all you need is a cheap GTX1050Ti; recommended for 1080/60fps in Forza and many other games), then the DirectX-box doesn't make much sense for you.

TL; DR: It's all about the games, not how you play them. If you want to play ports, then whatever system will do, I suppose.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a PS4 Pro last year and a One X this year. (moneybags!) Smile

For game sharing Xbox Gold wins, I also find the pads more comfortable.

PS4 has Last of Us, and a few other decent games Smile

Buy both? Razz

I've been a PC gamer mostly over the past 25 years or so, I bought into consoles again because PC cheats make me so mad Sad
The companies that don't safeguard against them make me even madder.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:07 - 03 Dec 2017    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
If you already own a w10 PC, that's capable of gaming (for the xbox one games all you need is a cheap GTX1050Ti; recommended for 1080/60fps in Forza and many other games), then the DirectX-box doesn't make much sense for you.

Have you tried it? There are guys with 1070s struggling to run Forza.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2